The Student Room Group

At Halton...

I know people take laptops but has anyone bought an internet dongle? My reception on my phone was terrible and could only get GPRS.

Just wondering if there's any point and if they actually work?

Thanks.

13 days...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by chris-d-lpool
I know people take laptops but has anyone bought an internet dongle? My reception on my phone was terrible and could only get GPRS.

Just wondering if there's any point and if they actually work?

Thanks.

13 days...

To be honest I have been thinking exactly the same, purely to skype my daughter as and when I get chance to. One of the lads on my PRTC was on EE and was getting a good signal, so I was tempted to purchase an EE dongle for the time I'm at Halton.
Yeah EE is the one that seems to be ok. And exactly the same reason. She's only 1 but when you're away that long anything is good.

13 days...
Oh and if you've got an iPhone you can piggyback the connection as well..

13 days...
Just ordered a 4G dongle from EE. Checked the coverage at Halton, 2 bars 4G and 4 bars 3G. Should be a good enough connection to skype my lil girl. Happy days :smile:

12 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
Just ordered a 4G dongle from EE. Checked the coverage at Halton, 2 bars 4G and 4 bars 3G. Should be a good enough connection to skype my lil girl. Happy days :smile:

12 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.

How much did that cost you? looking into getting one myself.
Depends what you want it for mate. I'm gonna be using it for skype/YouTube for music etc and emails and stuff and to link my iphone to 3/4G through the hotspot link so I'm paying £20 a month but I will be using it on trade training and first posting as well so it's worth doing.

11 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
Depends what you want it for mate. I'm gonna be using it for skype/YouTube for music etc and emails and stuff and to link my iphone to 3/4G through the hotspot link so I'm paying £20 a month but I will be using it on trade training and first posting as well so it's worth doing.

Only really want it for emails and social media. Same as you really but I won't be linking it to any other device. I'm not really into all the 3G/4G stuff so I'm a bit clueless to be honest.

This one looks pretty decent, do you think it would be good enough for what I want? http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/osprey-black-from-ee/details
That's what I got haha.

That's what I got haha.

That one it is then! Cheers.
Don't take my word for it mate speak to ee see what they say what's best for what u want

Don't take my word for it mate speak to ee see what they say what's best for what u want

Looks like it will do the job. Doubt there is anything cheaper that will do what I want it to so will just stick with that I think. I already get enough sales calls from EE so I'm not going to let them think I'm actually interested or I'll never hear the end of it!
Reply 12
Yeah EE is the one that seems to be ok. And exactly the same reason. She's only 1 but when you're away that long anything is good.

13 days...

Yeah i only want it to Skype my 2 year old daughter mate, its her second birthday 2 weeks after i start basic.

Did you take the 24months contract or rolling month by month?
The 24 cos as I mentioned I'll use it after right the way through training and afterwards too.

Gonna be horrible not seeing them all the time. Especially the first 5 weeks

Reply 15
Gonna be horrible not seeing them all the time. Especially the first 5 weeks

Yeah exactly the same mate.That'll be the hardest part for me, but it will all be worth it in the end. If you get chance would you be able to give us an update on how the dongle is performing whilst your there, so that we know whether it will work for when we come to Halton for basic? Only if you get chance though.
Yeah no worries. I checked the coverage on the EE website so if it doesn't work they're getting hell down the blower haha

10 days until I move to Campion flight, BB7 at RTS Halton.
Just so you know. On EE it works a treat. Happy days :smile:
Reply 18
Thank for the update, appreciate it mate. You getting 3g or 4g? Glad its working for you. Will definitely be getting mine sorted! Hope things all go well at Halton for you.
Cheers Chris! That's good news. All the best with everything you're doing.

Quick Reply

Latest