Kimberly Maginnis - Chief of Care Services Officer $160,646.00

Lance Slaughter - Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer $152,692.00

Michelle Keegan Chief Development Officer $178,744.00

John Applegate Association Finance Officer $118.726.00

David Moses Director of Planned Giving $112,509.00

Carrie Munk Chief Communications and Marketing Officer $142,875.00

Patrick Wildman Director of Public Policy $112,358.00

Kathi Kromer Director of State Advocacy $110,661.00

I don't have a problem with giving to charity and understand that they do spend a lot of their donations helping people it's just that it seems a bit excessive. Especially considering they're a 'non-profit' organisation and there are far better and worthwhile causes to be donating to.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/als-ice-bucket-challenge-do-you-know-what-you-are-supporting/

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Especially considering only 5,600 people are diagnosed with the disease each year in the entirety of the US it just seems like a huge waste of money that could be spent far better helping other causes

Source - http://www.alsa.org/about-als/who-gets-als.html
I understand your anger with the high wages, but often, for charities to be effective, they have to pay the high prices, that CEO's would be paid, at big, multinational organisations ie: to get the most money, they have to pay the higher amounts :frown:

Looking at that chart, that doesn't seem too bad?
They're paid over double the salary of the prime minister. The cancer research UK CEO only gets paid 140k but they help far more people and more of their donations go towards research. If you could read the rest of the article as well please, it goes on to say how in 2013 %50 of all donations were spent on salaries for workers.

Edit - ignore the pro-life stem cell and coconut stuff, thats rubbish but their point about the finance is perfectly valid
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Yeah I won't be participating in the ice bucket challenge.
Especially considering that 300,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with cancer each year (with a 5th of the US population) it just feels that the money could be far better spent elsewhere
Original post by jam278
Yeah I won't be participating in the ice bucket challenge.

If I get nominated I probably will . I'll just make sure to donate to a charity that will use it well rather than ALSA
Reply 7
£200k. Not huge money for a CEO

Don't like it? Don't donate
Original post by iamu
£200k. Not huge money for a CEO

Don't like it? Don't donate

Not CEO of a business no, but for a non-profit organisation?
When you donate you can request that the money only be used for scientific research to help find a cure for the disease. That's what I did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RayApparently
When you donate you can request that it only be used for scientific research to help find a cure fore the disease. That is what I did.

Oh okay, I wasn't aware of that, that's good
Reply 11
I concur with many of the sentiments expressed here: it is a shame, perhaps, that the money being raised isn't going towards, say, ending extreme poverty in certain parts of the world.

I did get nominated, refused to do the actual challenge, but I did donate £40 to Oxfam instead: as others have said, it's better to donate to charities which use the money well. Also, I disagree with the animal experimentation used in ALS research.
Reply 12
Original post by leemer
If I get nominated I probably will . I'll just make sure to donate to a charity that will use it well rather than ALSA

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203207999493473
I'm just hoping I don't get nominated
Reply 14
Original post by leemer
Not CEO of a business no, but for a non-profit organisation?

perfectly ok
Original post by de_monies
I understand your anger with the high wages, but often, for charities to be effective, they have to pay the high prices, that CEO's would be paid, at big, multinational organisations ie: to get the most money, they have to pay the higher amounts :frown:

Looking at that chart, that doesn't seem too bad?

why do they need to get paid such high wages:?
surely theres professionals wiling to do it for a lot less

Please explain this point." to get the most money, they have to pay the higher amounts :frown:"
Reply 16
Tbh the second the thing got viral you knew something was fishy personally. After the KONY mistake you kinda saw this happening.

Original post by manchesterunited15
I'm just hoping I don't get nominated

I have been nominated. Didn't bother with that bull****.

May make a statement like the guy on this video and avoid doing the challenge.
(edited 9 years ago)

Why did he jump into two bins full of water then?
I feel like I'm missing something :redface:
To prove that nothing will happen no matter how many times he did it?
Reply 18
Original post by Biryani007
Why did he jump into two bins full of water then?
I feel like I'm missing something :redface:
To prove that nothing will happen no matter how many times he did it?

He was nominated twice so jumped into two bins of Ice water.

But he said that he's not nominating because of essentially what OP has said.
Original post by jam278
He was nominated twice so jumped into two bins of Ice water.

But he said that he's not nominating because of essentially what OP has said.

No I know but he said something like "We should feel ridiculous pouring cold water on ourselves when some of these people don't have access to any water."
Yet he filled two bins with water and 25 bags of ice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending