The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to be proud of your own country?

When

>you have done nothing to achieve your nation's achievement
>you were just being born "accidentally" into your country when you could have easily been born in zimbabwe.

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

No.

Pride is different to nationalism. I am proud of my country, of it's history and heritage, but I don't believe it's better than any other country.
Why would anyone be proud of the UK? It's crap.
Original post by xtinalouise

Rather live here than most countries.

clearly isn't.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No.

Pride is different to nationalism. I am proud of my country, of it's history and heritage, but I don't believe it's better than any other country.

why are you proud though? i could SOMEWHAT understand being "proud" of things that happened in your lifetime because maybe you feel like you contributed in a small way and felt part of it. but to be proud of its history? it makes no sense to me.
Original post by GnomeMage
When

>you were just being born "accidentally" into your country when you could have easily been born in zimbabwe.

Discuss

No go for it :smile:
Reply 6
No. It causes more issues than it helps anyone. Being proud of where you're from can easily give rise to things like The E.D.L. if you pass the idea onto the wrong people.

As others have said, there's nothing special about being born on a certain spot of land. But it is always good to remember what has happened there.

90% of people have had nothing to do with the history of the country so it's like taking credit for something you haven't actually contributed to in any way. So in that respect it is a bit sad when people make a big deal of it.

Like religion, sports and elite societies... It's just another coping mechanism for humans to feel part of something rather than being alone.

It's a lot better than the majority of countries out there. Incidentally your profile picture is attractive.

Where would you rather live? I'm sure I could think of reasons why that country is ''crap'' too.

Really? Be thankful you have access to good education,good water and food, you won't get put in prison for holding hands with someone on the street and you don't live your life in fear of religious persecution everyday. Yeah we have our downsides but it could be alot worse.

I do think it's stupid to value the your country more than your own personal achievements but I don't think national achievements should be completely dismissed. We have progressed a lot over time even though we have done some horrific things in our past. It's a shame 'pride' has now been associated with 'nationalism' due to a bunch of idiots who took it all too far.
RULE BRITTANIA! BRITTANIA RULES THE WAVES!

BRITONS

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

NEVER NEVER NEVER

NEVER NEVER

NEVER

NEVER NEVER

NEVER NEVER NEVER

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

SHALL BE SLAVES!!!!!

god save the queen and good night xx

P.s remember to have the queen in your thoughts in your warm bed tonight safe and sound.

Churchill, Nelson, Farage, Thatcher, Pendragon, Mandela

All great men who fought for this country, just to increase the sense of pride you should be feeling rn
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by white boy
clearly isn't.

why are you proud though? i could SOMEWHAT understand being "proud" of things that happened in your lifetime because maybe you feel like you contributed in a small way and felt part of it. but to be proud of its history? it makes no sense to me.

People like to see themselves as the embodiment of whatever it was that won their country an achievement whether they were or not.

Henning Wehn did a brilliant bit about old people going on about WWII that ended with them effectively fighting on the side of Nazi Germany.

He didn't mean it obviously, bet he raised some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEB_598cU8#t=144
When

Discuss

Of course. People are always proud of things they didn't achieve and theres nothing wrong with it. In fact, for most 18 year olds the vast majority of their achievements aren't their own.
When

Discuss

If your country is the UK, then yes it would be incorrect to be proud of such a country.
Original post by yabbayabba
Where would you rather live? I'm sure I could think of reasons why that country is ''crap'' too.

Prolly Australia.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly not "crap".

Welfare state
No religious persecution
Very little racism or bigotry
Beautiful countryside
Well funded education

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. This country isn't perfect but it's a lot better than lots of other countries.

Oh, and our own public funded NHS is one of the best in the world according to this survey.

move then
It's good to be a little proud I guess but excessive nationalistic and patriotic views are not good. :no:
No of course not
Original post by DasSnipez
People like to see themselves as the embodiment of whatever it was that won their country an achievement whether they were or not.

Henning Wehn did a brilliant bit about old people going on about WWII that ended with them effectively fighting on the side of Nazi Germany.

He didn't mean it obviously, bet he raised some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEB_598cU8#t=144

"you were nothing but a drain on british resources" haha i liked that.

Quick Reply