The Student Room Group

URGENTLYCalling on all ENGLISH LIT lovers--- Help pls!!!

Hi Guys,

I am going into year 11 and I need help with my coursework. I don't really like English tbh, but that doesn't give me the excuse to do bad in it. My coursework is based on Mr Rochester (from Jane Eyre) and Macbeth (from Macbeth). I need to compare these too characters in terms of their flaws and weaknesses as people.

Please, if you don't mind helping a buddy, please message me and ask for the coursework. It is only 4 pages--- IKR! But help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by germanshepherd_
Hi Guys,

I am going into year 11 and I need help with my coursework. I don't really like English tbh, but that doesn't give me the excuse to do bad in it. My coursework is based on Mr Rochester (from Jane Eyre) and Macbeth (from Macbeth). I need to compare these too characters in terms of their flaws and weaknesses as people.

Please, if you don't mind helping a buddy, please message me and ask for the coursework. It is only 4 pages--- IKR! But help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi :smile:
Having not studied either of those characters (I do know of them however), I can't give you advice on the ins and outs of what you should be comparing.
I can help with general coursework guidelines though :yes: Have you been taught to use a particular structure in terms of comparison essays?
Original post by Gingerbread101
Hi :smile:
Having not studied either of those characters (I do know of them however), I can't give you advice on the ins and outs of what you should be comparing.
I can help with general coursework guidelines though :yes: Have you been taught to use a particular structure in terms of comparison essays?

Hi.
First of all thank you for your help. It is much appreciated and no, I have not been taught a particular structure for comparison essays. I was told to complete it over the summer with no/hardly any guidelines or help. Could you please explain them to me?

Thank you.
What exam board are you on?
Hi.
First of all thank you for your help. It is much appreciated and no, I have not been taught a particular structure for comparison essays. I was told to complete it over the summer with no/hardly any guidelines or help. Could you please explain them to me?

Thank you.

A good structure we used was PETER- point, evidence, technique, effect, reader.
So for one comparison, you'd do two PETER paragraphs- one for each character. The first 3 letters (PET) can be done in one sentence, the point quickly going over what you will talk about in the paragraph, the evidence being a quote to support it, and the technique naming the language technique used. So for example, you could write:
"In Charlotte Brontë's novel Jane Eyre, Mr Rochester is portrayed as being (insert characteristic that Macbeth also shows, or shows in a different way, here) through the use of a metaphor in the quote 'insert quote here'"
For the ER, this is the main part of your paragraph. This explains in detail what the author is trying to show through the technique and how the achieve this. Also talk about what effect this would have on the reader (e.g. Whether they would be sympathetic or not).
You would then do another paragraph for Macbeth, talking about a similar characteristic and explain how the way it is portrayed is similar/different, or talk about a different characteristic that is portrayed using the same language technique.

I hope this is explained clearly enough, if you want me to go into more detail about one part just ask :smile:
Original post by Firenze26
What exam board are you on?

AQA :frown:
I'm willing to help :smile: just finished A level Lit and studied Macbeth, though I don't know much about the former :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good structure we used was PETER- point, evidence, technique, effect, reader.
So for one comparison, you'd do two PETER paragraphs- one for each character. The first 3 letters (PET) can be done in one sentence, the point quickly going over what you will talk about in the paragraph, the evidence being a quote to support it, and the technique naming the language technique used. So for example, you could write:
"In Charlotte Brontë's novel Jane Eyre, Mr Rochester is portrayed as being (insert characteristic that Macbeth also shows, or shows in a different way, here) through the use of a metaphor in the quote 'insert quote here'"
For the ER, this is the main part of your paragraph. This explains in detail what the author is trying to show through the technique and how the achieve this. Also talk about what effect this would have on the reader (e.g. Whether they would be sympathetic or not).
You would then do another paragraph for Macbeth, talking about a similar characteristic and explain how the way it is portrayed is similar/different, or talk about a different characteristic that is portrayed using the same language technique.

I hope this is explained clearly enough, if you want me to go into more detail about one part just ask :smile:

Thank you so much. Your help help has been amazing and I will use that. I feel that you have taught me more English in 5 minutes, than my teacher in 1 whole year. I will use it now and try it out, plus my paragraphs seemed very long and this will help me get to the point quicker. Thank you again - and if I need anymore help I will make sure to contact you. I will also tell you about my progress. Thank you.

Btw, my teacher has marked my essay and she gave me 28/40. Which is disappointing but very good, considering I had no help from her whatsoever, hopefully, your exam structure will help me improve that.

:smile: :colondollar:
Thank you so much. Your help help has been amazing and I will use that. I feel that you have taught me more English in 5 minutes, than my teacher in 1 whole year. I will use it now and try it out, plus my paragraphs seemed very long and this will help me get to the point quicker. Thank you again - and if I need anymore help I will make sure to contact you. I will also tell you about my progress. Thank you.

Btw, my teacher has marked my essay and she gave me 28/40. Which is disappointing but very good, considering I had no help from her whatsoever, hopefully, your exam structure will help me improve that.

:smile: :colondollar:

:smile: aww, I'm glad to have helped :biggrin:
If you ever need anything give me a PM or just post it on here again, I've got this thread watched :smile: good luck with your essay :biggrin:
:smile: aww, I'm glad to have helped :biggrin:
If you ever need anything give me a PM or just post it on here again, I've got this thread watched :smile: good luck with your essay :biggrin:

Thank you so much again :smile:
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm willing to help :smile: just finished A level Lit and studied Macbeth, though I don't know much about the former :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Thank you for offering help. I was wondering whether you know any flaws that Macbeth has as a person and how Shakespeare presents this. I am really struggling to come up with concepts, when it comes to Macbeth.

Hi! If you're still looking for help on the Mr. Rochester side of things, I could probably help! His character really is quite fascinating, in my view, as indeed is the whole book :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I studied Jane Eyre for my AS course (OCR) so if you need help on anything just fire a question my way :smile:
Hey... doing A Level Lit here. I haven't studied Macbeth, but it's my favourite Shakespeare play, and I'm always looking for essays to crit (it helps me do better too :biggrin: ) so if you want me to read through/critique anything for you, PM me anytime!
Original post by KythingToWrite
Hey... doing A Level Lit here. I haven't studied Macbeth, but it's my favourite Shakespeare play, and I'm always looking for essays to crit (it helps me do better too :biggrin: ) so if you want me to read through/critique anything for you, PM me anytime!

Haha:smile: Yeah, that's absolutely fine. Thank you for offering help, I appreciate it. And I definitely will. :wink:
Original post by Arkasia
I studied Jane Eyre for my AS course (OCR) so if you need help on anything just fire a question my way :smile:

Ohh thank you so much. Do you know what Mr Rochester's weaknesses are? I have a few but they aren't as good, I can't really expand on those points. Ps, Can I get your view of Mr Rochester as a person and his weaknesses.
Ty
:smile:
Ohh thank you so much. Do you know what Mr Rochester's weaknesses are? I have a few but they aren't as good, I can't really expand on those points. Ps, Can I get your view of Mr Rochester as a person and his weaknesses.
Ty
:smile:

-Plain looking - quite ugly
-Prone to mood swings - Can shift from calm to angry quite quickly
-Impetuous - acts on a whim, not thinking
-Succumbs to desire - tries to commit adultery with Jane
-Prone to anger - threatens Jane multiple times
-Adulterer - Jane and Bertha
-Liar - lies to everyone about Bertha
-Rude - abrupt and insulting
-Locks his wife in the attic - speaks for itself
-Possibly caused his wife's insanity - who knows the truth

I suggest looking at 'Wide Sargasso Sea', a text from Bertha Mason's perspective, and 'Madwoman in the attic', which discusses the role of Bertha (and most women in Victorian literature).
Original post by Arkasia
-Plain looking - quite ugly
-Prone to mood swings - Can shift from calm to angry quite quickly
-Impetuous - acts on a whim, not thinking
-Succumbs to desire - tries to commit adultery with Jane
-Prone to anger - threatens Jane multiple times
-Adulterer - Jane and Bertha
-Liar - lies to everyone about Bertha
-Rude - abrupt and insulting
-Locks his wife in the attic - speaks for itself
-Possibly caused his wife's insanity - who knows the truth

I suggest looking at 'Wide Sargasso Sea', a text from Bertha Mason's perspective, and 'Madwoman in the attic', which discusses the role of Bertha (and most women in Victorian literature).

thank you for these points. They have been very useful and I have read wide Sargasso swmea and I am including her perspective in my essay. Thanks for the idea :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending