The Student Room Group

Problems with choosing A Levels for PPE

I'm aware that this topic has been talked about often but I'm still a bit confused. Is taking all of the PPE subjects at A Level a "bad" thing or not?

I've recently got back my GCSEs and I definitely know that I want to do economics and maths for A Levels, but I'm not sure if my other two should be sociology and government and politics or RS and government and politics (gov and pol will only be at AS). Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blackdiamond97
I'm aware that this topic has been talked about often but I'm still a bit confused. Is taking all of the PPE subjects at A Level a "bad" thing or not?

I've recently got back my GCSEs and I definitely know that I want to do economics and maths for A Levels, but I'm not sure if my other two should be sociology and government and politics or RS and government and politics (gov and pol will only be at AS). Thanks in advance :smile:

If you are wanting to study PPE at uni, and have the opportunity to study those subjects at college and the university knows that, then if you don't study them, they will question why.

In my opinion, if you want to do PPE then you should do economics and maths, with RS and Gov&Pol, as this will also prepare you best for uni...

Hope that helps!
Original post by mobbsy91
If you are wanting to study PPE at uni, and have the opportunity to study those subjects at college and the university knows that, then if you don't study them, they will question why.

In my opinion, if you want to do PPE then you should do economics and maths, with RS and Gov&Pol, as this will also prepare you best for uni...

Hope that helps!

The advice that certain unis give are a bit sketchy, like they say that absolutely none of the PPE subjects needs to be taken at A Level. But I suppose it's about reading between the lines, and what you're saying does make sense, so I'll go with what you stated. :smile:
Reply 3
Depends what sort of uni you think you can realistically get into

Doing subjects like politics / economics / philosophy though helpful are by means not mandatory. Even subjects like Maths, History, Chemistry would stand a good chance. I personally would go for subjects you think you will get the better grade in.

You'll have plenty of chance to show your interest in the 3 subjects in your personal statement
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91

Hope that helps!

Universities certainly won't ask questions :confused:- most places that do PPE don't even recommend subjects like philosophy/politics specifically.
This is from Oxford's website:

You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school or college; it is not necessary to have studied politics, philosophy or economics. All courses at Oxford are highly academic in nature, and require a great deal of reading. If you study PPE, you would usually be expected to write one or two essays each week. Therefore, you may wish to choose academic A-levels, and at least one that involves writing essays, as this will help to prepare you for the style of studying at Oxford.

History and Mathematics are recommended as subjects that can be helpful to you in completing the PPE course, but they are not required for admission.

However, although a background in Mathematics is not formally required, students should have sufficient interest in, and aptitude for, mathematics to cope with the mathematical elements of the Economics course. Mathematics is also an advantage for the first year logic course in philosophy, and for understanding empirical evidence in politics. You may like to consider taking Maths to AS-level, or equivalent, even if you do not take the full A2.
Some experience of studying History is also useful as a background, particularly for elements of the Politics course.

The most important thing is that the OP does maths (iirc 90% of offer-holders so maths)- beyond that, the subjects you've mentioned will be useful when applying to give you a limited overview of the subject. If you enjoy those subjects, OP, then by all means go for them, but bear in mind there are lots of combinations you can do for PPE that don't involve politics, philosophy or economics :smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)
I originally wanted to do sociology and RS but couldn't due to the subjects clashing. My worry is that if I do RS and Gov and Pol I'd be seen as doing two 'soft' subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
I originally wanted to do sociology and RS but culdn't due to the subjects clashing. My worry is that if I do RS and Gov and Pol I'd be seen as doing two 'soft' subjects.

RS and Gov are not too 'soft', although sociology is generally considered so. You might be a more competitive candidate if you did a facilitating subject like history or geography; these teach you concepts and skills that are useful for PPE.
Maths is a really good A-level for anything, and is highly desirable for PPE. You don't need economics, but it may help.
If you are thinking to apply for PPE at Oxford, you would be best to choose maths, history and 2 others that you think you would do well at & enjoy, this could be economics and gov or philosophy/RS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theresheglows
RS and Gov are not too 'soft', although sociology is generally considered so. You might be a more competitive candidate if you did a facilitating subject like history or geography; these teach you concepts and skills that are useful for PPE.
Maths is a really good A-level for anything, and is highly desirable for PPE. You don't need economics, but it may help.
If you are thinking to apply for PPE at Oxford, you would be best to choose maths, history and 2 others that you think you would do well at & enjoy, this could be economics and gov or philosophy/RS.

I got a B in history at GCSE, and even though I got an A in the exam, my teacher gave me a C (closer to a D) for coursework. She never actually told me the mark, she just said that I "really improved", so therefore I never got the chance to bump it up to a B or an A. :mad: Long story short, I just don't feel comfortable about taking it for A Level.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would suggest:

Maths,
Economics
History,
Further Maths, English Lit, Sociology, RS or Gov-Pol

History in this instance would be seen to replace Gov-Pol - within the subject you deal with political structures, economic history and elements of international relations. I would then suggest taking Further Maths or English Lit as these are considered more 'traditional' when compared with RS, Gov-Pol or Sociology - plus the skills that you would gain would complement either the Arts of mathematical side of economics at university level, depending upon your choice of FM or English Lit. The combination above would be suitable for any UK university - including those in the Russell Group. Ultimately, however, it is down to your judgement :smile: Goodluck!
I got a B in history at GCSE, and even though I got an A in the exam, my teacher gave me a C (closer to a D) for coursework. She never actually told me the mark, she just said that I "really improved", so therefore I never got the chance to bump it up to a B or and A. :mad: Long story short, I just don't feel comfortable about taking it for A Level.

I personally would be very hesitant to rule out an A-Level based upon experiences at GCSE; the two a very different and sixth form offers the perfect context in which to approach a subject from scratch. I know people who got B / C's in History at GCSE and then went on to achieve A* / A grades :smile: Alternatively, Geography would prove a valuable subject, both for it's content and prestige as an A-Level :smile:

Hello :smile:

Personally I'd recommend NOT doing this. I mean, Economics is ok, but Sociology and Govt & Politics and RS are all kind of considered soft subjects and will not be liked by universities especially Russell group/top ones. Similarly, if you wanted to do law at university, you wouldn't be advised to do law A level because it's considered 'soft.'

For PPE, your best subjects would be things like:
-History
-English Literature
-Maths
-A language
-A science
-Possibly economics

Basically the traditional subjects.

:biggrin: Good luck choosing!
I got a B in history at GCSE, and even though I got an A in the exam, my teacher gave me a C (closer to a D) for coursework. She never actually told me the mark, she just said that I "really improved", so therefore I never got the chance to bump it up to a B or an A. :mad: Long story short, I just don't feel comfortable about taking it for A Level.

That's fair enough! :smile: It's best to go with things you are confident in so you have the best chance of getting As.
Maths is well respected & will keep your options open. Certainly philosophy/RS is also well-respected, and would be very good for PPE as it is an essay subject. Maths, economics and Philosophy/RS would be a good mix for your main 3, and Gov would be a good 4th. Sociology isn't as strong.
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Hello :smile:

Personally I'd recommend NOT doing this. I mean, Economics is ok, but Sociology and Govt & Politics and RS are all kind of considered soft subjects and will not be liked by universities especially Russell group/top ones. Similarly, if you wanted to do law at university, you wouldn't be advised to do law A level because it's considered 'soft.'

For PPE, your best subjects would be things like:
-History
-English Literature
-Maths
-A language
-A science
-Possibly economics

Basically the traditional subjects.

:biggrin: Good luck choosing!

That's fair enough! :smile: It's best to go with things you are confident in so you have the best chance of getting As.
Maths is well respected & will keep your options open. Certainly philosophy/RS is also well-respected, and would be very good for PPE as it is an essay subject. Maths, economics and Philosophy/RS would be a good mix for your main 3, and Gov would be a good 4th. Sociology isn't as strong.

Since these two posts are conflicting, am I right in saying that some unis would see RS as a strong subject while others wouldn't?
subjunctivehistorian - I messed up on English Lit at GCSE, it's my other B (damn you exam). I got good grades in triple science, but I absolutely detest it haha. I did do French and got an A, but I think that was luck more than anything :colondollar:
Since these two posts are conflicting, am I right in saying that some unis would see RS as a strong subject while others wouldn't?
subjunctivehistorian - I messed up on English Lit at GCSE, it's my other B (damn you exam). I got good grades in triple science, but I absolutely detest it haha. I did do French and got an A, but I think that was luck more than anything :colondollar:

It's not as soft subject like, say, Law A level, but it's really not up there with the traditional subjects. Philosophy as an A level is good, but religious studies would be better as a fourth subject to drop. That's what we've been told at my school. General rule: the traditional subjects are normally best.
History would be a fantastic one to do! :smile:

But as the other poster said, RS would definitely be an ok one to throw in there because it's an essay subject. But I'd recommend not doing gov't and politics :smile:

Philosophy and RS are not, perhaps, as strong as facilitating 'top tier' subjects (eng lit, maths, history, geography, languages, sciences), but they are still good '2nd tier' quite traditional subjects and are still liked by unis when presented alongside one or two 'top tier' subjects. Philosophy is a slightly more traditional, better-respected subject than RS, although the exam boards seem to be merging them now :confused:

Languages are much harder at A-level & if you don't like science at gcse you are likely to struggle at A-level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Philosophy and RS are not, perhaps, as strong as facilitating 'top tier' subjects (eng lit, maths, history, geography, languages, sciences), but they are still good '2nd tier' quite traditional subjects and are still liked by unis when presented alongside one or two 'top tier' subjects. Philosophy is a slightly more traditional, better-respected subject than RS, although the exam boards seem to be merging them now :confused:

Languages are much harder at A-level & if you don't like science at gcse you are likely to struggle at A-level.

To clarify - RS at our school is ethics and philosophy with a equal weighting. Since I want to take maths and economics to A2 and probably RS and drop Gov, would that work in my favour in any way?

Original post by subjunctivehistorian
But as the other poster said, RS would definitely be an ok one to throw in there because it's an essay subject. But I'd recommend not doing gov't and politics :smile:

Is there any 2nd tier alternatives to Gov? (I don't really fancy any top tier traditional subjects apart from maybe English)
To clarify - RS at our school is ethics and philosophy with a equal weighting. Since I want to take maths and economics to A2 and probably RS and drop Gov, would that work in my favour in any way?

Is there any 2nd tier alternatives to Gov? (I don't really fancy any top tier traditional subjects apart from maybe English)

There is some variation between unis as to the subjects they prefer; some have lists, which can vary from 70+ subjects to just the facilitating subjects. For 'top' unis it is generally a good idea to have 1 or 2 facilitating subjects, but you won't be rejected for doing 1 or 2 that are not as long as your combination of subjects is good (1/2 traditional subjects, meets any subject-specific requirements & no crossover of content).
Have a look at this for info on subjects that unis prefer/don't prefer: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/feb/01/university-preferred-a-levels

Also the Russell Group guidance: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx

Maybe classical civilisation, psychology, geology, statistics, history of art, anthropology or environmental studies (although I know most schools/colleges do not offer all of these) as a 4th.

LSE has a list of 'non-preferred' low tier subjects here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)

Essentially, I think your subject choices depend on the sort of uni you're considering; doing sociology and politics, for example, would probably not be ok for Oxford but would be for most other places. Similarly, Maths would be pretty much a definite for Oxford but not necessarily anywhere else.

What sort of grades have you got to date/are you planning on applying for Oxford?
Reply 19
Lol looks like its turn to another 'do all facilitating subjects otherwise your getting 0 offers sorta advice' - People get offers from Oxbridge / Medicine / Other highly competitive courses with what you may consider a '2nd tier' subject every year...

FYI - Religious Studies is seen as a good subject to take for both AS & A2.

Quick Reply

Latest