The Student Room Group

Dumping boyfriend before uni?

I know this may seem like a trivial question however i'm really torn.

So me and this guy have been dating for 6 months now, he's 21 and i'm 20.
We get on great however it is a long distance relationship, 100 miles so we don't see each other as often as would like (every 3 weeks tops). We do text daily and skype fortnightly.

The problem is I feel that when I get to uni we wont have time to talk as often to maintain our relationship and it wont be fair on both of us to carry on to try and fail causing more heartache, than to end it while we're still on speaking terms and just fade apart.

Also i'm worried that i'll miss out on an opportunity to meet some one more suited if I stay with him. Also the same with him missing out on a more suited girl as he's moving to birmingham early oct.

Any opinions?
Depends on how much you value him... worth the extra effort?

EDIT: You say about finding someone more suited. Are you not very good together?
Try it out and if it was meant to be you'll work through it. You will know very soon whether it will work out or not.
Reply 3
Original post by hellodave5
Depends on how much you value him... worth the extra effort?

EDIT: You say about finding someone more suited. Are you not very good together?

In some ways we are suited such as both liking anime (him more than me), simalar music and a few other bit but he's quite middle class (from cambridge) and I'm quite lower class so he just doesn't get things sometimes.
Like his family have never struggled for money and has professionals who decorated the house ect.
Also I was heavily physically and mentally abused and it seems like he doesn't get how hard it is for me to do things, he's not douchy about it thou just doesn't relate.
I think you've already made your mind up. Talk to him and make sure you tell him how you feel honestly, your reaction to his reaction on the subject will answer your question :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
In some ways we are suited such as both liking anime (him more than me), simalar music and a few other bit but he's quite middle class (from cambridge) and I'm quite lower class so he just doesn't get things sometimes.
Like his family have never struggled for money and has professionals who decorated the house ect.
Also I was heavily physically and mentally abused and it seems like he doesn't get how hard it is for me to do things, he's not douchy about it thou just doesn't relate.

Sorry to hear that you experienced abuse.
Have you tried to explain, or there communication problems?
But yeah, I know what you mean. Then again, opposites can tend to attract :smile:
My girlfriend comes from a really educated family background - I do not.
Reply 6
Original post by jaffacakerr
I think you've already made your mind up. Talk to him and make sure you tell him how you feel honestly, your reaction to his reaction on the subject will answer your question :smile:

Thanks I think I will, sadly i think he really loves me and I don't want to hurt him. Like he said the L work 2 months into the relationship and i said it back a month later as i felt obligated to.
Yeah I think I may have decided already just didn't want to admit it :frown:
Reply 7
Sorry to hear that you experienced abuse.
Have you tried to explain, or there communication problems?
But yeah, I know what you mean. Then again, opposites can tend to attract :smile:
My girlfriend comes from a really educated family background - I do not.

Yeah the abuse was bad, but i only have mild PTS disorder.
There are some communication issues but I think thats most to do with how far we are from each other, we can't physically speak often and it's hard to talk about it via text.
Opposites do attract but do they last long term
If you're thinking about how you might miss the opportunity to find someone more suited to you at uni if you stay with him, I think that might mean you don't like (love?) him enough to carry on a relationship with him in the long term. Long distance relationships are a lot of effort (edit: as you will already know!) and if you feel that the effort would be too big then it probably is best to end it before you go. You never know if it will work out until you give it a go, it just depends on how bothered you are about whether you do or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks I think I will, sadly i think he really loves me and I don't want to hurt him. Like he said the L work 2 months into the relationship and i said it back a month later as i felt obligated to.
Yeah I think I may have decided already just didn't want to admit it :frown:

That's okay :smile: from my own personal experience I hate not knowing what's going on, and I usually notice when there's an I'll feeling. It might be hard but the truth is always best, I myself can never accept to remain ignorant.. I must know everything <.<and it'll be easier for him in the long run. You're reasons make sense. Besides, his reaction might surprise you for the better, or it could just make it a whole lot easier to move on and do it.
I get where you're coming from about feeling different to your boyfriend, as I have the same thing in my relationship. Sometimes it bothers me that we're different from each other, and I talk to my boyfriend about it and he says he doesn't think it's a problem, as long as we still have fun most of the time we're together and stuff. We're also long distance and we're 400 miles apart, only see each other once a month, and we've managed to keep it going for one year and 3 months now. Although I'm planning on moving to his town within the next couple of months, so I guess it's a bit different for you going to uni and knowing you'll be long distance for another 3 or 4 years - that must be a difficult prospect.

I guess it all depends how much you value the relationship and whether you think it's worth trying to keep it going or not. Are you crazy in love and do you generally have a good relationship? If so, maybe it's worth at least seeing how the relationship goes when you're at uni? But on the other hand, if you feel like you're heart really isn't in it, then maybe it'd be better to end things sooner rather than later. You know your relationship better than we do so it's up to you. Good luck.
Yeah the abuse was bad, but i only have mild PTS disorder.
There are some communication issues but I think thats most to do with how far we are from each other, we can't physically speak often and it's hard to talk about it via text.
Opposites do attract but do they last long term

Have you tried counselling for the PTSD? It can help.
Yeah, distance can be difficult but can be overcome. Try and make specific dates to see each other as regular as pos.
I think they can/do last, as it depends on lots of other factors... mainly communication I think.
Original post by BlueSheep32
If you're thinking about how you might miss the opportunity to find someone more suited to you at uni if you stay with him, I think that might mean you don't like (love?) him enough to carry on a relationship with him in the long term. Long distance relationships are ...

I care for him but it might not be enough or equal to love which he has for me. Also the missed opportunity is a worry about him too as he's moving to a big city and who knows who he'll find.
They are very hard to maintain despite feeling as sometimes you miss big things, like work stopped me seeing him till over a week after his bday and I wanted him there when I collected a-level results ect.

I think I feel quite guilty as we've gone out before, 6 years earlier and I dumped him due to feeling and the long distance thing. I hoped this time would be different with maturity of both of us and possible "fate" bringing us together again on a chance meeting.
Have you tried counselling for the PTSD? It can help.
Yeah, distance can be difficult but can be overcome. Try and make specific dates to see each other as regular as pos.
I think they can/do last, as it depends on lots of other factors... mainly communication I think.

yeah some but didn't help, I helped myself more and I now don't jump at doors banging. Plus I don't cry and scream often (once month) in the middle of the night.

We do keep some regular bases but work on both of our sides gets in the way.
Yeah I think so too
I care for him but it might not be enough or equal to love which he has for me. Also the missed opportunity is a worry about him too as he's moving to a big city and who knows who he'll find.
They are very hard to maintain despite feeling as sometimes you miss big things, like work stopped me seeing him till over a week after his bday and I wanted him there when I collected a-level results ect.

I think I feel quite guilty as we've gone out before, 6 years earlier and I dumped him due to feeling and the long distance thing. I hoped this time would be different with maturity of both of us and possible "fate" bringing us together again on a chance meeting.

Do you think you could potentially love him as much as he loves you in the future? If you do, it'd be worth carrying on the relationship for a bit longer to see if that happens & your feelings grow. If you don't, perhaps not.

In my experience, in a relationship you really want to be in, you don't care about missing the opportunity to find someone more suited to you - as far as you're concerned, you've found the person who is the best suited to you that anyone can be. If he loves you enough he won't care. He will meet plenty of people in a big city, but he could meet another girl who he's more suited to anywhere, anytime (within reason ofc) ditto you with another guy. This is something you need to properly talk to him about.

They are, and it's unfortunate that things like that happen, but in many cases there's not much you can do about it and just have to live with it. My birthday was last week and there was a chance my boyfriend might not have been able to see me because he could potentially have been starting a new job. Of course I was upset, but I know that he needs the money too much to pass up on the opportunity so he could be there on my birthday, so I just had to deal with it. It's nice to have your SO there for those big things, but it isn't always possible, even in a relationship that isn't long distance. The question is are you prepared to wait out a few years of not having each other there all the time for things like that for a time when you will be able to be closer together in the future, or do you think you'll find it too hard?

You can't force yourself to feel a certain way about someone, as much as you might want to. Don't beat yourself up about that. It's not his fault or yours that you don't think you feel the same amount of love for him as he does for you, but one thing you shouldn't do is tell him that you love him if you're not sure because that's not being honest with him and relationships need honesty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
I was in the same position as you. 5 years later and we're still together. My advice is to have a go, if it works, it works, if it doesn't then it doesn't. At least then you'll know for sure and won't live with any regret either way.

Original post by matty8073
Don't worry about things happening at uni. What happens at uni stays at uni! Number one rule!

The advice of a person who has had about as good a relationship as savouring a raw onion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
seems lile ua already done
Do you think you could potentially love him as much as he loves you in the future? If you do, it'd be worth carrying on the relationship for a bit longer to see if that happens & your feelings grow. If you don't, perhaps not.

In my experience, in a relationship you really want to be in, you don't care about missing the opportunity to find someone more suited to you - as far as you're concerned, you've found the person who is the best suited to you that anyone can be. If he loves you enough he won't care. He will meet plenty of people in a big city, but he could meet another girl who he's more suited to anywhere, anytime (within reason ofc) ditto you with another guy. This is something you need to properly talk to him about.

They are, and it's unfortunate that things like that happen, but in many cases there's not much you can do about it and just have to live with it. My birthday was last week and there was a chance my boyfriend might not have been able to see me because he could potentially have been starting a new job. Of course I was upset, but I know that he needs the money too much to pass up on the opportunity so he could be there on my birthday, so I just had to deal with it. It's nice to have your SO there for those big things, but it isn't always possible, even in a relationship that isn't long distance. The question is are you prepared to wait out a few years of not having each other there all the time for things like that for a time when you will be able to be closer together in the future, or do you think you'll find it too hard?

You can't force yourself to feel a certain way about someone, as much as you might want to. Don't beat yourself up about that. It's not his fault or yours that you don't think you feel the same amount of love for him as he does for you, but one thing you shouldn't do is tell him that you love him if you're not sure because that's not being honest with him and relationships need honesty.

Do people know what love is? i hope you don't think like 'oh i love you but look i found someone even more pretty'
You either love someone or you don't instead of holding someone as a reserve until something better comes along.
I just don't like the thought of being used.
Original post by Flyingaround
Do people know what love is? i hope you don't think like 'oh i love you but look i found someone even more pretty'
You either love someone or you don't instead of holding someone as a reserve until something better comes along.
I just don't like the thought of being used.

As far as I can tell the OP is thinking in terms of personality rather than looks.

But yeah, I agree with this - this was the point I was trying to make in a roundabout way (maybe not the being used bit though) - if the thought that you could find someone better than your partner crosses your mind even for a second, then you should really think about how much you want to be with them. They should already be the best person you could want to be with. I know you care about him OP, but if your feelings don't match his then you're lying to him by staying with him & telling him you love him.
As far as I can tell the OP is thinking in terms of personality rather than looks.

But yeah, I agree with this - this was the point I was trying to make in a roundabout way (maybe not the being used bit though) - if the thought that you could find someone better than your partner crosses your mind even for a second, then you should really think about how much you want to be with them. They should already be the best person you could want to be with. I know you care about him OP, but if your feelings don't match his then you're lying to him by staying with him & telling him you love him.

I get your point :smile: I just think if someone is going "eff it, you'll do for a bit" i don't think i'd ever want that to happen to me. I'd want to be with them forever except for when something happens where you find out that you both just don't get on any more and then yea just split up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending