The Student Room Group

AS/A2 French students, how did you revise?

Salut

Alors, étant donné que c'est concernant le Français, j'ai pensé que je parlerais en Français. Moi, je suis un étudiant ce qui fini GCSE et commencerai le Francais à AS. Comment t'as révisier? Quand j'étudie le Francais en GCSE, je parlerais avec mes mais à Xbox afin d'améliorer ma Francais. Pensez-vous ce travaillerai maintenant??

How was my french above for a gcse student progressing AS??

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
did u use google translate for that? cause it sounded like you did lol
Reply 4
Original post by amejv
did u use google translate for that? cause it sounded like you did lol

Thanks for bumping and I didn't, it's from my head? What do you understand french?
I'm an about-to-be A2 French student. French is a great subject and methods of revising for each aspect will need some polishing to accommodate the needs of A Level as opposed to GCSE!

For the speaking aspect, I try and describe a lot of my surroundings in french, my thoughts in french, speak to my french friends etc. This really helped me gain confidence and I changed from being the girl who never spoke in class to the one the teacher couldn't shut up :tongue:

To memorise vocabulary, the app Quizlet is great :smile: you can make your own interactive flash cards which I like using on my ipad and iphone, especially before the vocab tests we'd have. Try and learn around 10 new words every week, or if you have time and want a challenge, every day learn 3 pieces - I know this doesn't sound a lot but throughout your a levels you'll have loads on and there isn't really time to be memorising lists!

Listening is probably the hardest aspect of french for me... I try and combat the stress it gives me by listening to the radio, watching movies, listening to french music, french news - anything french! I particularly enjoy listening to french youtubers - many are funny and it means that I can get a good challenge :smile: I wouldn't recommend the youtubers until your A2 year - you don't want to be picking up street slang ! As for watching movies, I would recommend watching with English subtitles (obviously), and when you feel comfortable progress to watching them with french subtitles. I like watching some of my favourite tv programmes dubbed in french with no subtitles (sometimes) as this really forces me to listen hard and pick up words! Great french films I recommend you watching if you haven't already: Les Intouchables, Amélie, Ne le dis à personne, Le diner de cons... There are so many out there! Just have a nice google :smile:

Reading is quite obvious - read in french as much as you can. There are some books every french student should read for example Le Petit Prince, Bonjour Tristesse, Bel Ami, L'étranger... There are loads and loads! Utilise any library and look for some good reads. To get some topic specific vocabulary, read articles on stuff you're interested in be it sports or fashion or whatever. This means the vocab kind of flows naturally :smile:

Grammar is probably the most important thing when trying to revise and improve your french. I would recommend investing in a good grammar book (but this isn't mandatory)! For me, I want to take french past a level studies so I've got a copy of Glanville and Price's complete french grammar guide.

You'll know what methods of revision work for you but for french I like using flash cards to get grammar vocab rules etc down for memory! Posters are quite good too actually! Making Mindmaps just didn't work for me!

Word reference and conjugation.fr are great for essays. The first is basically the best website for trying to find translations of words, their uses and so much more - you can't be using google translate anymore! It just won't work! The latter is for help with conjugation and is excellent. It really helps when I've completely blanked out on how to conjugate the past subjunctive of some tricky verbs!

I've said enough ! Hope this helps - you can PM me for any more questions or help if you wish!

Bonne Chance :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by overthelove
I'm an about-to-be A2 French student. French is a great subject and methods of revising for each aspect will need some polishing to accommodate the needs of A Level as opposed to GCSE!

For the speaking aspect, I try and describe a lot of my surroundings in french, my thoughts in french, speak to my french friends etc. This really helped me gain confidence and I changed from being the girl who never spoke in class to the one the teacher couldn't shut up :tongue:

To memorise vocabulary, the app Quizlet is great :smile: you can make your own interactive flash cards which I like using on my ipad and iphone, especially before the vocab tests we'd have. Try and learn around 10 new words every week, or if you have time and want a challenge, every day learn 3 pieces - I know this doesn't sound a lot but throughout your a levels you'll have loads on and there isn't really time to be memorising lists!

Listening is probably the hardest aspect of french for me... I try and combat the stress it gives me by listening to the radio, watching movies, listening to french music, french news - anything french! I particularly enjoy listening to french youtubers - many are funny and it means that I can get a good challenge :smile: I wouldn't recommend the youtubers until your A2 year - you don't want to be picking up street slang ! As for watching movies, I would recommend watching with English subtitles (obviously), and when you feel comfortable progress to watching them with french subtitles. I like watching some of my favourite tv programmes dubbed in french with no subtitles (sometimes) as this really forces me to listen hard and pick up words! Great french films I recommend you watching if you haven't already: Les Intouchables, Amélie, Ne le dis à personne, Le diner de cons... There are so many out there! Just have a nice google :smile:

Reading is quite obvious - read in french as much as you can. There are some books every french student should read for example Le Petit Prince, Bonjour Tristesse, Bel Ami, L'étranger... There are loads and loads! Utilise any library and look for some good reads. To get some topic specific vocabulary, read articles on stuff you're interested in be it sports or fashion or whatever. This means the vocab kind of flows naturally :smile:

Grammar is probably the most important thing when trying to revise and improve your french. I would recommend investing in a good grammar book (but this isn't mandatory)! For me, I want to take french past a level studies so I've got a copy of Glanville and Price's complete french grammar guide.

You'll know what methods of revision work for you but for french I like using flash cards to get grammar vocab rules etc down for memory! Posters are quite good too actually! Making Mindmaps just didn't work for me!

Word reference and conjugation.fr are great for essays. The first is basically the best website for trying to find translations of words, their uses and so much more - you can't be using google translate anymore! It just won't work! The latter is for help with conjugation and is excellent. It really helps when I've completely blanked out on how to conjugate the past subjunctive of some tricky verbs!

I've said enough ! Hope this helps - you can PM me for any more questions or help if you wish!

Bonne Chance :smile:

Thanks. What did you think of my french above??
Original post by bravia
Salut

Alors, étant donné que c'est concernant le Français, j'ai pensé que je parlerais en Français. Moi, je suis un étudiant ce qui fini GCSE et commencerai le Francais à AS. Comment t'as révisier? Quand j'étudie le Francais en GCSE, je parlerais avec mes mais à Xbox afin d'améliorer ma Francais. Pensez-vous ce travaillerai maintenant??

How was my french above for a gcse student progressing AS??

Thanks

Good for someone who has just completed their GCSEs, but as always, we all make some mistakes :tongue: I've probably made some mistakes correcting you, but I would stay

'je suis un étudiant qui a fini GCSE' because 'ce qui' generally means 'what' for example 'je sais pas ce qu'il m'a dit' means 'I don't know what he said to me'

'comment faites-vous la révision?' Because the use of t before the 'as' means you were using a direct object pronoun, which wouldn't work in this case... You normally use the te/t' when trying to replace the direct object.

And perhaps 'quand j'étudias le francais' because it was an ongoing and repeated action but someone else feel free to correct me on this one!

When you said je parlerais, you were speaking in the conditional tense, however you were indicating the action was done in the past? Perhaps you want to change that?

like I said, I've probably made some errors - someone else will have to chip in :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by bravia
Thanks for bumping and I didn't, it's from my head? What do you understand french?

i'm a fluent french speaker and it sounds very rigid and not very natural if you get what i'm trying to say?
You need to be natural and keep conversation flowing in the AS speaking exam (i got full marks) in terms of the written exam, around 10 marks are for grammar which i was really terrible at and found it really hard so i have to try and improve before i got back to A2. For the essays, make sure you have arguments for and against whatever it is you have to write about! You could also try and find some idioms to make your essay more unique? Accuracy is also key, that's where i probably messed up on my writing exam which brought my grade down so i have to re sit the writing exam again next summer

Quick Reply

Latest