The Student Room Group

Advanced punctuation help?!

Hi! Could someone please explain to me the proper uses of punctuation such as - : and particularly ; please?

Although I seem to used them correctly in my GCSE coursework (high five for guesswork!), I don't really know how to use them properly, and searching on the internet has just left me really confused...

Also, who/whom/whoever/whomever?!

Thank you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavishLinguist
Hi! Could someone please explain to me the proper uses of punctuation such as - : and particularly ; please?

Although I seem to used them correctly in my GCSE coursework (high five for guesswork!), I don't really know how to use them properly, and searching on the internet has just left me really confused...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think -: is used for lists.

and ; is used for lists, and pithy statements like the following

Disregard females; acquire aesthetics.
Original post by LavishLinguist

Posted from TSR Mobile

Semi colon: ;
Is usually used to seperate two independent sentences that can stand independently, for example:

I went to the shops; I purchased an I've cream.

If I was to put a coma and a co-or donating conjunction in between these two sentences then that will make sense too, like this:

I went to the shops, and I purchased an ice cream.

Or you can just place a full stop in between these two clauses, as they can stand alone.

I went to the shop. I purchased an ice cream.

Hope that helped. You should look it up on Youtube the videos are very handy when confused about certain punctuation! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending