The Student Room Group

Independent student living at home questioms

I'm applying for student loan very very late.

I've read a little about independent students. I live with my parents but have been working full time for over 3 years which I believe makes me an independent student. I'm going to send my photocopied P60s and wage slips for this three year period as proof. I'm pretty sure I've got this part right, right?

My questions are: which years' income affects the amount of maintenance loan/grant I can get? What is the maximum loan and/or grant an independent student can get? What are the income brackets of the independent student's with regards to the maintenance loan or grant?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by faylauren
I'm applying for student loan very very late.

I've read a little about independent students. I live with my parents but have been working full time for over 3 years which I believe makes me an independent student. I'm going to send my photocopied P60s and wage slips for this three year period as proof. I'm pretty sure I've got this part right, right?

My questions are: which years' income affects the amount of maintenance loan/grant I can get? What is the maximum loan and/or grant an independent student can get? What are the income brackets of the independent student's with regards to the maintenance loan or grant?

Thanks in advance.

You'll probably have a hard time proving that you're independent whilst living with your parents if you're under 25, but it's not unknown. The guide is that you must have been earning at least £7500 for the last three years (although that amount is just a guide) and have been completely self-suporting.

SF will take into account questions like: Are your parents charging you a market rent, or allowing you to live with them cheaply? Do you have something like a rent book so that you can prove that you've been paying market rent? Are you eating shared meals with the family or do you always buy and eat only your own food? Can you prove that you're paying a share of the utility bills? Be prepared for SF to ask questions like that and to provide the proof. If your parents are allowing you any leeway with regards to your living costs, then you might not be viewed as "independent".

When I applied as an independent student (because of my age), I was advised to state my income as Nil for SF the assessment, as I was giving up work to go to uni full-time. As I wouldn't have any income (apart from minimal interest on savings) I got the maximum Maintenance Loan + Grant combo.

The income thresholds probably won't apply to you as an independent student if you're giving up work, but if they do for any reason, they're the same as would be used for a parental assessment.
This was me. Went to uni at 23, live with parents, but earned enough money to be independent. You would have to provide evidence for 10/11, 11/12 and 12/13. I had no problems last year... My second year, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
How come it changed for second year?.
I don't think it was a major problem. If you're an independent student, nothing changes from year to year, but I didn't receive anything from them, so applied online where it wouldn't let me select independent status. Went through so many hoops for SF and ended up having to print off a form and post it. All this means my application is late :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending