The Student Room Group

4th AS Option?!

Would really appreciate advice on a fourth AS level to take.

So far I am taking Chemistry, English Lit, and History: all good, solid choices that I intend taking through to A2, but am absolutely buggered with a final one. I've already changed my mind about it a couple of times; having Biology, Business Studies, and Sociology pencilled in, as well as thinking about Geography, Maths, and German.

I got A*s and a few As last year without too much work, so providing I work hard should probably be capable of straight As this time around; but I'm not sure which direction I should approach the fourth choice from. Is it best to take one that interests me (Sociology) but is seen as a slightly softer option than eg. Maths, which I'm good at but bores the arse off me?

If I apply to Oxbridge or a Uni abroad with good A2 grades in Lit, Chem & History will it really matter what the AS I drop was?

Unfortunately I have no idea what career I want to go into so am trying to leave options open. Also, the college I'm at is just annexed onto the school so options are pretty limited to basically those above....

Please help?!
Well, if you dont like maths, dont take it. You are better off taking something you will enjoy because with three As at A level is good subjects, an A in a lesser subject at AS level wont matter that much.
Take sociology! I may be biased because I took it and really enjoyed it, but there's no point taking maths just because you're good at it if you don't like it, especially because I've heard the A-level is much harder. I took sociology as one of 4 A-levels (the others being French, history and English lit) and got offers from Cambridge and Bristol, both top unis, so having one less respected subject really won't hurt.
^^Agree with the above totally. I wouldn't take maths if you don't enjoy it, especially given it's the forth AS. Perhaps Maybe a language i.e. French or German may be a good idea to make you seem even more well rounded! :smile:
Reply 4
Go for Sociology if that's what you enjoy. With those other three really academic subjects no uni will scoff at you for taking Sociology AS Level!
Considering how your other choices are all extremely academically traditional and favoured by top universities you have got a wide choice available to choose for your final AS-Level. I would recommend choosing something which you think you will actually be interested within, as mentioned Sociology could be a good subject.
I think sociology sounds like a good option, you already have history which is quite similar to geography and biology which is a science like chemistry, althouhg if you dont want to rule out the possibility of a degree in anything medical based, it could be best to take biology, if not take sociology.
Reply 7
maths a-level is much harder then gcse. so u prob better off doing a subject that you really enjoy. i hated maths at gcse but got an a. i tuk d subject at as (what was i finking!) lost interest very quickily and ended up wid a d in as! having said that an a-level in maths wuld be really useful for almost any degree especially if you want to go into finance!
Reply 8
I would recommend taking Sociology. I'm studying it at a level and I find it very interesting. Hopefully you'll like writing essays though, as you have to do quite a few to practise for the exam.
It's a very bad idea to do a subject that you don't enjoy. I took Business Studies and stuck with it, even though I hated it, and got a U, whereas my other subjects got all B's.
As long as you've got three 'good' subjects, then it shouldn't matter too much if you take one that some may think to be a 'mickey mouse subject'.
Reply 9
Thanks for all your replies. Had my first Sociology lesson today and really enjoyed it, so looks like I'm agreeing with you all! :smile:

Latest