The Student Room Group

Sleeping aids like Nytol

Never used them before so just out for some advice ... are they actually effective?

My sleeping pattern is ****ed and even when I eventually go to bed, I just literally cannot sleep. I usually easily sleep for 8/9 hours.

Or anything else you could suggest?
They are OK, do make you a little drowsy, but if you have really bad sleeping issues they probably won't help a great deal, they are just antihistamines. Worth a try though, but nothing OTC is going to be very strong
When I moved house, my room had terrible blinds which let loads of light and we've moved by a main road when I'm used to a quiet cul-de-sac. I started taking Nytol basically every night for two weeks but I'm used to it all now, and stopped taking them. My sleeping pattern is now like 10:30pm/11pm-8am.

But I have to say, I tried both Kalms Nights and Nytol and found neither of them groundbreaking. Like the other poster said, they do make you drowsy but they're not going to send you straight off to sleep like prescription sleeping tablets would. But try them first, and also make sure you are doing everything to ensure a night's sleep such as no tv/laptop for at least an hour before bed. Maybe read. Try a hot milky drink, just random stuff like that. If you're still having trouble and it's seriously affecting activities during the day, then go to the doctor.

Hope I helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest