The Student Room Group

Men see bikini-clad women as objects

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/19/women.bikinis.objects/index.html?eref=rss_us

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090216-bikinis-women-men-objects.html

Hope this is the right place to discuss this issue.

This study shows how deeply rooted this problem is. Would we call this liberation of women or exploitation?

Would a woman really be ok with men looking at her as a mere tool/object?

Now think of the entertainment business, whether movies or songs (especially by rappers) etc. and how they have engrained this sickness in the minds of males. It is about time women realize they are being played and should restore their dignity by dressing modestly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And women see 'beach body' men as objects.
It's a sexy ting u get me?
Reply 3
This study is dreadful. The sample size is microscopic, diversity is non-existent (they were all undergrads), there's apparently been no follow-up tests. It's also five years old. Hardly much fact to base your opinion on.
So?
Reply 5
Original post by Dez
This study is dreadful. The sample size is microscopic, diversity is non-existent (they were all undergrads), there's apparently been no follow-up tests. It's also five years old. Hardly much fact to base your opinion on.

But it is common sense, for ages we have been hearing the phrase "women are objectified", this study only further solidifies that position.
Reply 6
Original post by saalih
But it is common sense, for ages we have been hearing the phrase "women are objectified", this study only further solidifies that position.

This study does nothing, it's not worth the paper it's written on. And personally, I wouldn't say that the intricacies of human psychology are anything near "common sense". It's possible that objectification is deep-rooted as the study suggests, but basing your beliefs on how society should act based on this non-study and its conclusions is foolish.
Original post by saalih

Popular opinion is not confirmation of fact. Otherwise there'd be no innovation, no discoveries. We'd still live in the stone age.

21 sample points? Are they kidding? <30 is small. In a study like this you'd need considerable more. Hundreds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Dez
This study does nothing, it's not worth the paper it's written on. And personally, I wouldn't say that the intricacies of human psychology are anything near "common sense". It's possible that objectification is deep-rooted as the study suggests, but basing your beliefs on how society should act based on this non-study and its conclusions is foolish.

it is a study whether you like it or not. It makes perfect sense also, women shedding their clothes in public humiliate themselves and degrade themselves in the name of freedom and the men exploit that to the core, what on earth a bikini clad woman has to do with car magazines? or any other non female product for that matter?
Reply 9
Original post by alexs2602
Popular opinion is not confirmation of fact. Otherwise there'd be no innovation, no discoveries. We'd still live in the stone age.

21 sample points? Are they kidding? <30 is small. In a study like this you'd need considerable more. Hundreds.

It is not popular opinion, in fact quite the opposite, today the general population has no problem with women shedding their clothes in public in the name of freedom, this study challenges that norm and I agree with it. Men are exploiting women and women are not realizing it.
"The participants, 21 heterosexual male undergraduates"

Lol go away
Original post by saalih
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/19/women.bikinis.objects/index.html?eref=rss_us

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/02/090216-bikinis-women-men-objects.html

Hope this is the right place to discuss this issue.

This study shows how deeply rooted this problem is. Would we call this liberation of women or exploitation?

Would a woman really be ok with men looking at her as a mere tool/object?

Now think of the entertainment business, whether movies or songs (especially by rappers) etc. and how they have engrained this sickness in the minds of males. It is about time women realize they are being played and should restore their dignity by dressing modestly.

The problem is, I think a lot of women see men as objects as well.
Reply 12
The funny thing is you don't need to do a scientific study to prove this. Its common sense.
Original post by saalih
it is a study whether you like it or not. It makes perfect sense also, women shedding their clothes in public humiliate themselves and degrade themselves in the name of freedom and the men exploit that to the core, what on earth a bikini clad woman has to do with car magazines? or any other non female product for that matter?

I just made a study of caucasian women in their 20s. 100% of them prefer to work and not stay at home.

Come at me bro.
Reply 14
Original post by xmertic
The problem is, I think a lot of women see men as objects as well.

it might apply to some women but look around you (billboards/movies/songs/magazines/etc.) and you can see which gender became an object.
Reply 15
Original post by SarcasticMel
I just made a study of caucasian women in their 20s. 100% of them prefer to work and not stay at home.

Come at me bro.

your user id says it all..
Original post by saalih
it might apply to some women but look around you (billboards/movies/songs/magazines/etc.) and you can see which gender became an object.

No, that's marketing. And men are on/in all those things as well. The thing is, even girls who are straight will look at an attractive women and acknowledge they are attractive. From my experience a lot of guys don't/won't do that.

I think you have a slightly narrow opinion, when it comes down to sexualising something, both genders are objects to the other.
Original post by saalih
women shedding their clothes in public humiliate themselves and degrade themselves in the name of freedom

You seem to have some pre-conceived ideas on this issue

Original post by saalih
today the general population has no problem with women shedding their clothes in public

indeed - so how is it humiliating?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
So the diet coke advert where the group of ladies are ogling the handsome, muscular guy is different is it?

It happens on both sides. Honestly just get on with life.
Original post by saalih
your user id says it all..

So you have nothing to reply to my post, just my username? Interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending