The Student Room Group

Holiday booked in October. Will it be a problem?

Hi All,

I recently got accepted to Uni through clearing as I only decided last minute that I wanted to go after having a year off and was too late to apply normally. The only thing is is I had a holiday booked on the 8th of October for a week months before I even thought about actually applying for Uni. Induction week starts on the 22nd of September so would this be a problem?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

When you go to the induction week, explain about the holiday :smile: you'll be able to go on holiday but you will need to catch up on the work you've missed!
Of course its a 'problem'. You'll miss crucial teaching at the start of your course. If it wasn't that important then they tell everyone else not to turn up until November as well.

Cancel the holiday.
Reply 3
Not that important no

Just got a bit of catching up to do
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Of course its a 'problem'. You'll miss crucial teaching at the start of your course. If it wasn't that important then they tell everyone else not to turn up until November as well.

Cancel the holiday.

It’s for my Aunties wedding, no chance I’ll be cancelling it just wanted to know how much of a problem it would be. I definitely don’t mind putting in the extra graft and asking for any work to take with me.
When you get a 2:2 you'll remember this holiday for all the wrong reasons.
Original post by Splunk
Hi All,

I recently got accepted to Uni through clearing as I only decided last minute that I wanted to go after having a year off and was too late to apply normally. The only thing is is I had a holiday booked on the 8th of October for a week months before I even thought about actually applying for Uni. Induction week starts on the 22nd of September so would this be a problem?

Thanks

If you are doing an Arts course then it won't be a problem, but if you are doing a science course then it will.

My nephew missed loads of weeks in his Arts course and still ended up with a really good end of year mark.
As a lecturer, I'd advise against it: but clearly, as a) it's booked and b) it's for a wedding. It doesn't make you look good, and you're lecturers will know your name for all the wrong reasons, plus it will likely be flagged up for the rest of the year if you under-perform at any stage. Also, don't ever make the mistake of whining if a lecture's cancelled, or make any comments about "I'm paying for this" etc for the next three years - because this holiday at a crucial point in a crucial year *will* be used against you.

Really don't "ask for work" to take with you. University isn't school. Just make sure you've kept on top of all the reading you've been assigned in preparation for the week you won't be there, check with your peers whilst you're away or the virtual learning environment to see the reading you've been assigned in prep for the week of your return, and make sure you do plenty of reading around too, so that you can't be beaten with the stick of not taking things seriously too easily.
Original post by Sanctimonious
When you get a 2:2 you'll remember this holiday for all the wrong reasons.

I'm sure a week off won't result in a 2:2...
What? Of course it won't matter, it's only a week. I went to like, 2 weeks of lectures every semester and no one even noticed.

Just make sure you catch up and copy the notes when you return.
Reply 10
Original post by Viva Emptiness
What? Of course it won't matter, it's only a week. I went to like, 2 weeks of lectures every semester and no one even noticed.

Just make sure you catch up and copy the notes when you return.

When you go to Thames Valley university I doubt anyone cares.
Original post by simplylldxo
I'm sure a week off won't result in a 2:2...

See below for evidence.

2:2 :indiff:

Spoiler

Original post by Armin.

Good one :indiff:
Original post by Armin.

What uni do you go to?
What do you study?
if you have already graduated with what classification?

:rolleyes:
See below for evidence.

2:2 :indiff:

Spoiler

And you honestly think that's why? **** you. I didn't need that uni :colonhash:

Edit: I've really ballsed this post up. Maybe I am thick as ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
And you honestly think that's why? **** you. I didn't need that uni :colonhash:

Don't take it serious Veevs. Things could be worse, you could be Armin.

Think on the bright side of life.
Reply 16
Good one :indiff:

I learnt from the best. :tongue:

What uni do you go to?
What do you study?
if you have already graduated with what classification?

:rolleyes:

Leicester (nonrg)
Medicine
---
Don't take it serious Veevs. Things could be worse, you could be Armin.

Think on the bright side of life.

Thank **** for small mercies.
Original post by Armin.

x

You've not even graduated yet so you're in no position to be cocky.
Reply 19
You've not even graduated yet so you're in no position to be cocky.

It was a joke. Same as you. Why are you singling me out?

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest