The Student Room Group

Tory MP defects to UKIP- UKIP have their first MP

Scroll to see replies

No they don't, he resigned straight away.
UKIP don't have their first MP yet. He will have to stand in a by-election and be elected again to sit in Parliament for UKIP.
Reply 3

Ukip had an MP from 08, he was booted by the electorate in 2010.

Do you ever read the sources you quote?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There will be a by-election.
Interesting ...very interesting. It's time for UKIP's voters to rock the cosy world of our traitorous and cowardly politicians.
The by-election should fall right around the time of the tory summer conference, very interesting timing.
Clearly he is a man of principles.

As a man of principles, I expect him to foot the entire cost for this unnecessary by election rather than letting the British tax payer pick up the bill.
They won't keep him for long, many MPs are vain enough to think 'it wasn't the Party, it was me' that got them elected, but it's hardly ever been true.

I'm not that keen generally on Libertarians, but he did make some good points in this interview. I don't know if he's right that central bank-run currencies will go in the light of digital money and new currencies (will governments really give up so easily) and he also seems (as do many Gold bugs and anti-government people) to be somewhat misled by the ease of using the web for easy consumer transactions into thinking that the internet is not a state-controlled entity, but I like some of the things he says.

What this does confirm though is that UKIP is nothing to do with general politics and remains a minority, libertarian right faction, that tries to win votes by confusing the public about Europe. This is further underlined by UKIPs newly published target seat list, which is mainly in big majority Tory constituencies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well done to him, a man with some principles it seems who believes in freedom and democracy (which the EU do not believe in).
Reply 11
Original post by InnerTemple
Do you ever read the sources you quote?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tried to rep you but couldn't.

I'm sure the OP does, but hopes nobody will look and purposefully lies in their thread title.
Reply 12
Original post by DaveSmith99
The by-election should fall right around the time of the tory summer conference, very interesting timing.

The timing is very clever - although a few weeks earlier would have been better.

Potential candidiates still on holiday, nine months to the election, will rejoin the house just as Parliament reopens....
Reply 13
Original post by msummerbee
Interesting ...very interesting. It's time for UKIP's voters to rock the cosy world of our traitorous and cowardly politicians.

By voting for a politician who is a traitor to their party?
Original post by Quady
The timing is very clever - although a few weeks earlier would have been better.

Potential candidiates still on holiday, nine months to the election, will rejoin the house just as Parliament reopens....

I'm pretty sure Westinster can hold off for months on the by-election, the earliest they can hold it is 3 weeks.
Original post by Quantex
Clearly he is a man of principles.

As a man of principles, I expect him to foot the entire cost for this unnecessary by election rather than letting the British tax payer pick up the bill.

The cost of a by-election which will give the people what they want will be far cheaper than continuing to pay the salary of someone who is in power purely to fill a position and has no belief whatsoever in the direction the party he is currently a member

Original post by Fullofsurprises

What this does confirm though is that UKIP is nothing to do with general politics and remains a minority, libertarian right faction, that tries to win votes by confusing the public about Europe.

1. No it doesn't
2. Its kind of hilarious that you accuse UKIP for doing what you're essentially doing on here i.e. confusing the people

UKIP are getting a vote for numerous reasons. To suggest its still all about Europe now is ridiculous. You would get laughed at on politics forums for making such statements.

This is further underlined by UKIPs newly published target seat list, which is 100% in big majority Tory constituencies.

No its not. The majority of it is. Not 100% of it. Please don't spread misinformation. Some areas are Liberal Democrat controlled areas. Eastleigh for example. Diane James was second in Eastleigh in 2010. The Liberal Democrats were first.

This alone backs up my claim above that you are nothing more than a hypocrite of the highest order trying to confuse the people. Ever considered becoming a Labour MP? You'd fit in well. They seem to do hypocrisy quite well too.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
I'm pretty sure Westinster can hold off for months on the by-election, the earliest they can hold it is 3 weeks.

Six weeks is usual, 9th of Oct I rekon.

Tory conference, 28th Sept - 1st Oct.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Well done to him, a man with some principles it seems who believes in freedom and democracy (which the EU do not believe in).

True. Rather him be honest and support a cause he believes in that collect a payment and expenses just for sitting amongst the status quo. It's partly because so many are happy to conform, rather than defect, why are country is in the state it is in in the first place - but of course, people will then say, what state and refer to our economy, at which point I refer to them the economic deficit we've been running for years and years and also the social issues that have arisen during the same period.
Original post by Sanctimonious

No its not. The majority of it is. Not 100% of it. Please don't spread misinformation. Some areas are Liberal Democrat controlled areas. Eastleigh for example. Diane James was second in Eastleigh in 2010. The Liberal Democrats were first.

This alone backs up my claim above that you are nothing more than a hypocrite of the highest order trying to confuse the people. Ever considered becoming a Labour MP? You'd fit in well. They seem to do hypocrisy quite well too.

:smile:

OK, well, sorry I said it was 100% when I actually meant 'almost all'. I was, I admit, being rhetorical at that point in the sentence. :blush:

Here is the full UKIP target seat list to avoid further doubt. The only LibDem seats they want are Eastleigh, where they have no real chance and Portsmouth, which they are of course going after because of Mike Hancock's various idiocies.

Ukip targets
South Thanet - Conservative held (Laura Sandys), 16 per cent majority. Con 48, Labour 31.4, Lib Dem 15.1, Ukip 5.5
Boston & Skegness - Conservative held (Mark Simmonds) 28 per cent majority. Con 49.4, Labour 20.5, Lib Dem 14.8, Ukip 9.5.
North Thanet - Conservative held (Roger Gale), 31 per cent majority. Con 52.7, Labour 21.5, Lib Dem 19.4, Ukip 6.5.
Sittingborne and Sheppey- Conservative held (Gordon Henderson), 25.5 per cent majority. Con 50, Labour 24.6, Lib Dem 16.4, Ukip 5.4
Forest of Dean - Conservative held (Mark Harper), 22.7 per cent majority. Con 46.9, Labour 24.2, Lib Dem 21.9, Ukip 5.2
Aylesbury - Conservative held (David Lidington), 23 per cent majority. Con 52.2, Lib Dem 28.4, Labour 12.6, Ukip 6.8
Great Yarmouth - Conservative held (Brandon Lewis), 9.9 per cent majority - Con 43.1, Labour 33.2, Lib Dem 14.4, Ukip 4.8
East Worthing - Conservative held (Tim Loughton), 22 per cent majority - Con 48.5, Lib Dem 25.5, Labour 16.7, Ukip 6.2
Thurrock - Conservative held (Jackie Doyle Price), 0.2 per cent majority - Con 36.8, Labour 36.6, Lib Dem 10.7, BNP 7.9, Ukip 7.4
Grimsby - Labour held (Austin Mitchell), 2.2 per cent majority- Lab 32.7, Conservative 30.5, Lib Dem 22.4, Ukip 6.2
Eastleigh - Lib Dem held (Mike Thornton), Lib Dem, 32.1 per cent, UKIP 27.8 per cent, Conservative 25.4 per cent, Labour 9.8 per cent
Portsmouth South - Lib Dem held (Mike Hancock), 12.6 per cent majority. Lib Dem, 45.9 per cent, Conservative 33.3 per cent, Labour 13.7 percent, Ukip on 2.1 per cent.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
OK, well, sorry I said it was 100% when I actually meant 'almost all'. I was, I admit, being rhetorical at that point in the sentence. :blush:

Thank you for actually posting the facts now as opposed to rhetoric trying to sway opinion.

Here is the full UKIP target seat list to avoid further doubt. The only LibDem seats they want are Eastleigh, where they have no real chance and Portsmouth, which they are of course going after because of Mike Hancock's various idiocies.

You are wrong there. I live in Southampton but fall under Eastleigh Borough Council. The UKIP support here is very strong because of the issue with the fisheries here down south. I live right on the coast and have spoken to many people whose lives it has impacted greatly.

Given that they were second in 2013, if Diane James runs there again next year, there is no reason why they cannot win in Eastleigh, especially with people like myself committed to voting for them 2015.

The Liberal Democrats are committed to Europe which goes against what the people here want which is less regulation of the fisheries (CFP). Its not surprise that UKIP are going to go all out for Eastleigh given that. Its probably one of a few seats they'll actually win.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending