The Student Room Group

do remarks go up usually

in english language gcse is there a better chance of the remark going up and does the examiner know that your only 2marks off??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarger
in english language gcse is there a better chance of the remark going up and does the examiner know that your only 2marks off??

The examiner will not know what your current mark is - they will be marking it as if they are marking it for the first time, as this helps to stop any bias in marks going up.

If you are only 2 marks off, then it is highly unlikely that you will drop a grade, and a fair chance you could gain a grade. If it was me, I would go for a remark, however, because of the risk whenever you go for a remark, it has to be your decision!

Hope that helps!
Original post by sarger

No, they do not usually increase

English has more chance of changing than a science based subject
Original post by mobbsy91
The examiner will not know what your current mark is - they will be marking it as if they are marking it for the first time, as this helps to stop any bias in marks going up.

I would question this - if a script has been marked (non-electronically) then the score will be on the script
Original post by TenOfThem
I would question this - if a script has been marked (non-electronically) then the score will be on the script

They should be given a clean copy of the script as if the marker knows that they are only a mark or two off they could be bias. However, as I do not know the system inside out, and I only have experience from an Exams Officer, if I am wrong, then I apologise.
They should be given a clean copy of the script as if the marker knows that they are only a mark or two off they could be bias. However, as I do not know the system inside out, and I only have experience from an Exams Officer, if I am wrong, then I apologise.

I am only speaking from a school perspective too so I may be wrong
Reply 6

If you are only 2 marks off, then it is highly unlikely that you will drop a grade, and a fair chance you could gain a grade. If it was me, I would go for a remark, however, because of the risk whenever you go for a remark, it has to be your decision!

Hope that helps!

can you get coarsework (controlled assessments remarked aswell?)
TenOfThem is right: if the script has not been marked online, then the marks will be on the script, as it is unlikely they'd spend time trying to rub pencil off the script, if it had been marked in pencil, or attempt to remove pen ink from a script, if it has been written in pen.

However, if the script has been marked online, then a clean copy of the script is given to the examiner to avoid bias. AQA confirmed this to me a few days ago. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1409224633.149728.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
TenOfThem is right: if the script has not been marked online, then the marks will be on the script, as it is unlikely they'd spend time trying to rub pencil off the script, if it had been marked in pencil, or attempt to remove pen ink from a script, if it has been written in pen.

However, if the script has been marked online, then a clean copy of the script is given to the examiner to avoid bias. AQA confirmed this to me a few days ago. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1409224633.149728.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but I believe that they don't actually mark the original script. Even if the script is not scannable, I believe they take a copy of it manually before giving it to the marker... as I said earlier and you confirmed, to avoid bias
Original post by sarger
can you get coarsework (controlled assessments remarked aswell?)

No, coursework cannot be remarked, as it is an internally assessed component and has been moderated by AQA. The only way your coursework may have the opportunity to change would be if your centre submitted a remoderation. This would only tend to happen if your centre's coursework marks have changed. This is because coursework affects everyone, and is marked by your teachers, so cannot be marked by AQA individually.

The only things that can be submitted for a remark are externally assessed components, like your written exams, or writing in Languages, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I remarked I got knocked down a grade :frown:
Yes, but I believe that they don't actually mark the original script. Even if the script is not scannable, I believe they take a copy of it manually before giving it to the marker... as I said earlier and you confirmed, to avoid bias

Possibly, but the entire reason they don't send it off for online marking is because it cannot be scanned. So I don't understand how a copy would able to be made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly, but the entire reason they don't send it off for online marking is because it cannot be scanned. So I don't understand how a copy would able to be made.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The scanners that they use are setup to scan the standard scripts. Then I believe for the scripts that can't be scanned, and which need to be marked on the paper, are then photocopied like you would photocopy anything you might photocopy yourself...
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I read somewhere that the majority (about 2/3) of remark requests do not change at all. Of the remaining 1/3 (varying of course across subjects and exam boards) it is more likely the mark will go up than down, and very likely that whatever the change it will be small.
The scanners that they use are setup to scan the standard scripts. Then I believe for the scripts that can't be scanned, and which need to be marked on the paper, are then photocopied like you would photocopy anything you might photocopy yourself...

Ah yeah, possibly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well, when i marked the scripts are sent directly to me from the school

though i am going back 6 years

Hope that helps!

Thats not true, I called OCR and they dont really 'remark' it, they review it meaning they basically check how they marked it and compare it with the mark scheme, so technically its not a 'remark' but a 'review'
Original post by A level sufferer
Thats not true, I called OCR and they dont really 'remark' it, they review it meaning they basically check how they marked it and compare it with the mark scheme, so technically its not a 'remark' but a 'review'

Then OCR really need to clarify what information they give out then, because as can be seen in the picture from kingaaran they don't have any of the original marks when they remark. And the reason for that is because its a remark, totally remarked - not a review.
Then OCR really need to clarify what information they give out then, because as can be seen in the picture from kingaaran they don't have any of the original marks when they remark. And the reason for that is because its a remark, totally remarked - not a review.

That was AQA, unfortunately. OCR are the biggest scums of them all: they charge the most and only 'review' the marking - that word is stated on their website, unlike AQA and Edexcel. It's not much of a problem for science-based subjects, but with essay-based subjects, it is, as as long as the mark is justifiable, then they won't change it. Shame really...

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was AQA, unfortunately. OCR are the biggest scums of them all: they charge the most and only 'review' the marking - that word is stated on their website, unlike AQA and Edexcel. It's not much of a problem for science-based subjects, but with essay-based subjects, it is, as as long as the mark is justifiable, then they won't change it. Shame really...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok - have you seen the guy who sent the letter to OCR thats being shared on Facebook? It's great that someones actually done something about it. And to be honest, all of the exam boards have these problems of not getting it right first time, and when it's on something as important as these exams, they shouldn't get it wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending