The Student Room Group

AS retakes

I was thinking of retaking some AS levels and today my school told me that as of this year, your best result does not count. Instead your most recent result counts, so if you did worse in the retake your mark will become lower overall. Is this true, or is it my school trying to stop people retaking loads of papers
I doubt it's true, but can you tell me the subject and exam board, I'd like to check it out :smile:

M-M
Reply 2
all of them I heard
:p: I really doubt it then. Usually the resit policy is stated in the syllabus of the subject, I've checked out a few edexcel syllabuses and none of them have been revised. Therefore I assume that the normal rules apply because teachers obviously use these syllabuses. Also there is no announcement on the exam board websites, this is a big move, so if it was true then I'm sure that all the exam boards would of announced it.

M-M
Trust me if this was the case, then The Student Room would be flooded with worried applicants fretting even moreso than usual over resit choices; this hasn't been the case. It is most likely just your college trying to stem their imminently snowballing workload as college kicks into gear.
I really don't understand why some teachers are soooo against resits (I have a few in my school). Even worse, the whole school! :eek: But I suppose it's just as bad with schools which force all students to resit (I've read a few on TSR). Like in Biology AS I got BCC, the teacher was saying that was good, and questioning why I wanted to resit. Then she said that she thought if I resat the latest mark will count, not the highest. She was obviously lying because the next day I phoned edexcel up about it and they said it's always the highest mark. I resat and got AAB, enough said. Another case, I got 81/100 on C1 on Maths, the maths teacher basically got annoyed that I was resitting "why on earth do you want to resit that??!!!". I resat and got 91/100, if I hadn't resat I would of got a B for A-level maths, rather than an A. It was an 8 mark margin, and thanks to that resit I managed to get an A.

M-M
Reply 6
If thats going to affect your AS retakes then I'd definately consider retaking them outside college as a private candidate. January is a MUCH better time for retakes than in the middle of your final A2s.
Reply 7
taking many As level resits as an external/private candidate is not a good idea. For my 2 Critical Thinking exams i had to shell out 180 squids. They added admissions fees, admin fees, lateness fee and other fees.
Reply 8
That sounds like a lot of money. Also it sounds kind of inconvinient. Still it may be worth it if it brings your grades up and gets you into uni. I just think June is a bad time for resits

Latest