The Student Room Group

Help choosing media course!

I've been looking into courses along the lines of Media and Communications as I am interested in PR/Marketing, but at the same time I do not want to limit myself by taking a pure marketing course or a pure PR course so I figured that taking a Media and Communications course would be broad, still allowing me to go into those given professions. However, I have recently been thinking if a course in Media and Communications is enough. Maybe I haven't done enough research and there are better suited courses for what I want to do? I am just really confused and would like some advice on what course to take if I am looking to go into a PR/Marketing direction but also do not want to follow that path strictly.

Thank You!
Original post by lenaae
I've been looking into courses along the lines of Media and Communications as I am interested in PR/Marketing, but at the same time I do not want to limit myself by taking a pure marketing course or a pure PR course so I figured that taking a Media and Communications course would be broad, still allowing me to go into those given professions. However, I have recently been thinking if a course in Media and Communications is enough. Maybe I haven't done enough research and there are better suited courses for what I want to do? I am just really confused and would like some advice on what course to take if I am looking to go into a PR/Marketing direction but also do not want to follow that path strictly.

Thank You!

I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you! I'm interested in Journalism / PR too and have also been looking at similar degrees!

I didn't take media as an A level option, but have been to a few open days and apparently you don't have to have it

Anyway, I too am worried that it isn't enough and that there is more out there, BUT in the open days, they did clarify that this degree is not vocational, it is an academic subject still. This makes me feel a little better!

I've had a look at Cardiff uni, which was absolutely brilliant for this degree. It is also in the Russell group so that's an obvious positive.

I then went to Leicester, which is really high on the league tables. The course was slightly different, but still looked really good!

I'm going to the Bath Spa and UWE open days in the up coming months which should be interesting!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gingerlucy
I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you! I'm interested in Journalism / PR too and have also been looking at similar degrees!

I didn't take media as an A level option, but have been to a few open days and apparently you don't have to have it

Anyway, I too am worried that it isn't enough and that there is more out there, BUT in the open days, they did clarify that this degree is not vocational, it is an academic subject still. This makes me feel a little better!

I've had a look at Cardiff uni, which was absolutely brilliant for this degree. It is also in the Russell group so that's an obvious positive.

I then went to Leicester, which is really high on the league tables. The course was slightly different, but still looked really good!

I'm going to the Bath Spa and UWE open days in the up coming months which should be interesting!

Good luck! :smile:

Thank You! This is really reassuring. I didn't take media either; I am doing English, History and Psychology. As long as you have English then there should be no problem.

I've realised that if I want to go into a certain career direction, I could easily just specify with a masters so I am sticking with a media and communications course. I am mainly looking at Leeds, but Leicester and Cardiff are among my other options. Maybe we will end up at the same uni!

Thank You and good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by lenaae
Thank You! This is really reassuring. I didn't take media either; I am doing English, History and Psychology. As long as you have English then there should be no problem.

I've realised that if I want to go into a certain career direction, I could easily just specify with a masters so I am sticking with a media and communications course. I am mainly looking at Leeds, but Leicester and Cardiff are among my other options. Maybe we will end up at the same uni!

Thank You and good luck to you too :smile:

Exactly! :smile: I'm definitely thinking of doing a post grad course after the degree! I'll have another year at uni and it'll most likely be something more specific! I'll probably have changed my mind by that point though, I'm so indecisive.

Oh yes, we could indeed! :biggrin: It's so strange to think we'll be with a whole set of new people, I can't get my head around it, haha!

No problem and thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending