The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Will I need a bus pass to get from Oxley residence to campus?

Does anyone ever walk to campus?
If I reapply what's the likelihood I'll get a place at Lupton or North hill court? I do like Oxley but it's just too far.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
You'll need a bus pass, even if you're a quick walker it would still take around 50 minutes to get to campus, you can do it on occasion if you feel like it but it would be mainly when you returning to Oxley, the time you'd have to get up at to get in for a 9am lecture would be about 6:30am if you're walking.

You could always cycle but this isn't ideal in winter and arriving after 9am means a bit of a struggle to find an available space on a bike rack (will depend where you are on campus as to the chance of finding one).

In terms of reapplying you've got pretty much no hope, when I applied for accommodation I initially got allocated Mary Morris House near Lupton but as it wasn't the university's own accommodation I asked if I could be moved; they sent me an offer for Oxley a few days later and I took it. Not sure how they had a spare room but they did. However I reckon I was lucky here as after I sent the initial email they replied saying I had no chance of being moved before moving in and the only way to move is to wait for someone to drop out and take their room.

I'd probably accept the fact you're living at Oxley, at least for now. By the time a drop out room comes available, and your name gets to the top of the list for people wanting to move it could be December and you'll of made friends at Oxley by then, as well as gotten use to the travel times.
Hi

I was a student at Leeds, and I was in Oxley and loved it! I'd recommend getting a bus pass, you can buy them monthly, termly or a whole year (see the First Bus website at: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/leeds/tickets/student_bus_travel/tickets.php)

Might seem expensive at first, but it gives you unlimited travel across the whole of West Yorkshire (my flatmates and I really made the most of it and went visiting places further afield!), and seeing as the buses run until 3am, I never had to pay for a taxi back from town after a night out :wink: If you got the yearly ticket, and assume that you're in Leeds for 30 weeks of the year (taking out christmas and easter), then that's still only £8ish a week. The equivalent weekly ticket is £14, so you're saving a lot!

The buses run really regularly, you can either catch the 28 from the end of the main drive at Oxley, or from Otley Road the number 1, 6, and 28 all run straight to the University main entrance. It's also close to Headingley, where there's loads of really nice bars, pubs and restaurants (all with student friendly prices!), which saves a trek all the way into the city centre for a good night out.

I really enjoyed being in Oxley, it did give a nice separation from university and "home", and also prepared me for a 'commute' when I lived in Hyde Park in years 2 and 3, and further afield now that I'm working.

Plus, there's around 450 students at Oxley, so you're hardly on your own :smile:

Hope that helps, let me know if you've got any questions about Oxley or buses (or anything!) :smile:

Amanda
University of Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest