The Student Room Group

BBBB at AS Level, still worthy of medicine?

AS Levels: BBBB [Maths, Bio, Chem and Physics]
Predicted: Unknown hopefully AAAA
Currently prepping towards BMAT and UKCAT
Experience: 2 Weeks in a general hospital in Nigeria paediatric and surgery departments, during the Ebola outbreak. Worked 2 weeks UCL Pharmacy department. Done Nuffield’s Research Placement for 4 weeks rewards a Gold Crest Award by the British Science Association.
My dilemma is my AS levels. I need realistic advice on where my options lie. Are resits even an option? If a get an amazing UKCAT and BMAT score will that boost me? Should i just take a gap year? What should i do? Advice would mean the worldddddd to this confused aspiring medic. :confused::p:$
Original post by renren99
Experience: 2 Weeks in a general hospital in Nigeria paediatric and surgery departments, during the Ebola outbreak. Worked 2 weeks UCL Pharmacy department. Done Nuffield’s Research Placement for 4 weeks rewards a Gold Crest Award by the British Science Association.
My dilemma is my AS levels. I need realistic advice on where my options lie. Are resits even an option? If a get an amazing UKCAT and BMAT score will that boost me? Should i just take a gap year? What should i do? Advice would mean the worldddddd to this confused aspiring medic. :confused::p:$

If you're predicted AAA you might as well go for it - but a prediction is just that, you need to make whatever changes are necessary so that you actually get those grades! Perhaps a few module resits might be in order (particularly if it's one module per AS level which significantly pulled your grade down).
Reply 2

Yeah! I got my AS and got ABBB so we're pretty similar! i think your predicted grades would be AAAB (if your dropping the fourth at AS). It's always worth trying to apply especially if you get a good UKCAT or BMAT score!

If not you can always apply after a gap year with your actual grades in hand! [though i don't see why you don't have a good chance of getting in this year!!] :biggrin:

I don't think resits are a good idea because you will have too much to do at A2!

Good luck hope you get accepted!

Absolutely. Some medical schools don't look at AS grades and focus on the other parts of your application so it shouldn't hold you back. Go for it.

All the best,
Medicine Mentoring
http://www.medicinementoring.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest