The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships is better than university. FACT

How do you know you will be guaranteed a job straight after uni ?.

Also when you finish university most people will be in debt of over £40k, and it will keep rising until you pay it because interest is added onto it.

Scroll to see replies

Had a friend land an apprenticeship as an electrician, was sacked immediately after he qualified and replaced with another apprentice they could pay the bare minimum to. Have friends that are graduates and in graduate-level positions. The opposite is also true, in terms of employment prospects amongst my friendship group. Just sayin'.
Who cares about debt? It's not like David Cameron is gonna have the bailiffs round as soon as you graduate. Who cares if you have to pay £50 a month back if it gets you into the job you want to be in.

Unless your lucky and have a **** hot apprenticeship they aren't better than a good degree. I know this because I've just done an apprenticeship and have quit to go university. A degree will give you way more options and will usually get you into a higher position.

Saying FACT doesn't make anything you say true. It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes an apprenticeship will be better than uni, most of the time it isn't.
Reply 3
I'm not in much debt

My tuition fees were £3000 a year, so that is £9000 debt for my undergrad.

Then my masters was £9000, which my dad paid. So I'm in like £9000 debt in total.
Reply 4
Original post by life is a test
How do you know you will be guaranteed a job straight after uni ?.

Also when you finish university most people will be in debt of over £40k, and it will keep rising until you pay it because interest is added onto it.

You aren't guaranteed a job after an apprenticeship either.
I'm in 9k of debt...my starting salary is 40 odd k (don't put the exact amount, as only one firm pays that particular number) and at 25 I'll be earning 94k.

I'll take that ta.
Original post by RoundTrip
Who cares about debt? It's not like David Cameron is gonna have the bailiffs round as soon as you graduate. Who cares if you have to pay £50 a month back if it gets you into the job you want to be in.

Unless your lucky and have a **** hot apprenticeship they aren't better than a good degree. I know this because I've just done an apprenticeship and have quit to go university. A degree will give you way more options and will usually get you into a higher position.

Saying FACT doesn't make anything you say true. It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes an apprenticeship will be better than uni, most of the time it isn't.[/QUOT
Ur correct some are better than apprenticheships. But sorry for saying its a fact.
Original post by godd
I'm not in much debt

My tuition fees were £3000 a year, so that is £9000 debt for my undergrad.

Then my masters was £9000, which my dad paid. So I'm in like £9000 debt in total.

Not everyone is as lucky as you.
Reply 8
Not everyone is as lucky as you.

I know, what that prick cleggers did to undergrad tuition fees was shameless.

I tried to find the cheapest masters I could in finance and I stumbled onto the QMUL one. Though half is econometrics, which nearly killed me, I managed to get my degree.
Original post by Le Nombre
I'm in 9k of debt...my starting salary is 40 odd k (don't put the exact amount, as only one firm pays that particular number) and at 25 I'll be earning 94k.

I'll take that ta.

You've got a TC at a US firm? :eek:

Felicitations.
:woo:
Original post by tengentoppa
You've got a TC at a US firm? :eek:

Felicitations.
:woo:

Yeah, thanks :smile: I might be less enthusiastic after my first beasting :tongue:

I start Monday, so currently juggling prep with learning how to not look like a lost tourist on the tube.
What types of qualifications do people get from apprenticeships, is it equivilant to a degree. While doing an apprentice does the person stay at the same company ?. Do businesses prefer is someone has a degree rather than a different qualification?.

Answes will be appreciated.
Reply 12
What types of qualifications do people get from apprenticeships, is it equivilant to a degree. While doing an apprentice does the person stay at the same company ?. Do businesses prefer is someone has a degree rather than a different qualification?.

Answes will be appreciated.

It depends on the apprenticeship. I am personally following this career path and you can get level 4/5 in physiotherapy which is equilavent to a foundation degree and you've got a bundle of experience!
Original post by emmakid
It depends on the apprenticeship. I am personally following this career path and you can get level 4/5 in physiotherapy which is equilavent to a foundation degree and you've got a bundle of experience!

Most jobs out there require that you have good experience in the sector that a person wants to work in,that is why most degree's dont offer that working environment. Am thinking about doing a degree in ICT,however ict changes constantly.In two years time i will make a decision to do a higher apprenticehsip or a degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Most jobs out there require that you have good experience in the sector that a person wants to work in,that is why most degree's dont offer that working environment. Am thinking about doing a degree in ICT,however ict changes constantly.In two years time i will make a decision to do a higher apprenticehsip or a degree.

Sounds good! Good luck to you!

Just a real life example for you:
My brother dropped out of uni after 2nd year as he failed. He went into a mechanical engineering apprenticeship and is sustaining it fine.
His 4 housemates just recently graduated with 2:1 or above and none of them have decent jobs!
One in a supermarket, one in a bar and one in KFC and not sure about the other but you get the gist! :wink:
Original post by emmakid
Sounds good! Good luck to you!

Just a real life example for you:
My brother dropped out of uni after 2nd year as he failed. He went into a mechanical engineering apprenticeship and is sustaining it fine.
His 4 housemates just recently graduated with 2:1 or above and none of them have decent jobs!
One in a supermarket, one in a bar and one in KFC and not sure about the other but you get the gist! :wink:

Thx alot for the information. I would always want to apply for a company that is well known, because some apprenticeships that provide the minimum wage dont have good standards. Am only 16 so still two years away, gotta focus on my a levels. Lol

Good luck in fullfilling your dreams. :-)
It depends really on the subject you are doing for example if you are doing teaching, law, nursing, psychology, English, or medicine it's worth it and there's always graduate job. You don't see many drs out of work at the dole queue.

but you are just doing The Beatles studies or quantum physics or planets then there's not many jobs going.

But remember if you are studying sociology it can lead post graduate qualifications in teaching social work etc
If you can link your degree into career path way you are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To me working in supermarket, cafe, KFC is just part time pays the bills. That's all I see it

I see long term career path as social work/teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iloveteddy14
It depends really on the subject you are doing for example if you are doing teaching, law, nursing, psychology, English, or medicine it's worth it and there's always graduate job. You don't see many drs out of work at the dole queue.

but you are just doing The Beatles studies or quantum physics or planets then there's not many jobs going.

But remember if you are studying sociology it can lead post graduate qualifications in teaching social work etc
If you can link your degree into career path way you are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm pretty sure that Quantum Physics is linked to more jobs than two of the subjects you included in the worth doing selection, it's above the beatles studies by far???
Reply 19
I think apprenticeship in accounting is better than going to university. But not subjects like law and medicine. That's my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending