The Student Room Group

Most Useful Areas Of Further Maths A level In Physics Degree

Hi, Im about to start yr 13, and i am taking maths (with mechanics), physics, and chemistry to full a level, having done biology to as. i got As in all at as, and im planning to do a physics degree (possibly at oxbridge, imperial, st andrews or durham if this helps at all).

however, I know further maths features fairly regularly in a physics degree, and so I am planning to study parts of FM alongside my a levels in yr 13. I haven't decided if ill take some FM modules at the end of the year, or just study a few key areas for a physics degree.

To sum up, my question is, which areas of FM would it be most useful to study this year, and are any modules so useful that it'd be worth studying them entirely, and putting myself in to be examined in them? Any help would be appreciated, cheers!
The further pure modules are the ones you'll want to focus on; they'll introduce you to the main maths that you'll use above a level standard. The mechanics modules are worth a look if you have time as well as you'll have mechanics module in first year (likely first term).

As for being examined, I'd recommend thinking about it carefully. I say AS further maths, self studying, and did terribly in the exams because I could never justify revising over the A levels that my offers depended on. It was definitely a good idea to get familiar with the material, but now I have a bit fat E on my certificate. That hasn't really hindered me, but it annoys me a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechanics, vectors, complex numbers, differential equations are all very closely linked to aspects of physics. Any modules that include those things are most helpful, but assuming further Maths A Level is not required for your uni course, you'll be taught anything that's only in FM again when you get there.

I self studied FM AS in year 13, and did rather well choosing FP1, D1 (easy) and M2.
Don't risk dropping grades in your A2s for the sake of Further Maths. If you want to study these topics, why not do it next summer, once your exams are out of the way? You'll have 3 months or so to spend on it before you start university, which should be plenty of time to get yourself a head start.
Reply 4
I wouldn't risk your current A2's but if you're set on it : FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, S1, S2 xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest