The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mg198
Almost there! My second reference just submitted this morning... now the waiting game is really on!

Original post by JimmyLondon
Hooray! :biggrin: My final reference person waited until the very last day to submit his, needless to say I was stressing out

Original post by punctuation
:woo: One of my references submitted for my applications! Now just one more to go...

Do you guys know if your referees are told the deadline date for uploading their references? I know they get a notification with instructions, just wondering how detailed the instructions are. My deadline is the 3rd and i'm not sure whether to bug my prof about it yet! Congrats to all who've submitted! Good luck
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Chandlerher
Do you guys know if your referees are told the deadline date for uploading their references? I know they get a notification with instructions, just wondering how detailed the instructions are. My deadline is the 3rd and i'm not sure whether to bug my prof about it yet! Congrats to all who've submitted! Good luck

Pretty sure they get an email with the deadline. :smile: But bug away!
Reply 202
Hi guys, two questions:

1) do they always make interviews?
2) by applying to a Msc and submitting the personal reference am I applying to the Gates Cambridge Scholarship?

Thank you!
Original post by pau791
Hi guys, two questions:

2) by applying to a Msc and submitting the personal reference am I applying to the Gates Cambridge Scholarship?

Thank you!

I think the interview arrangements differ from course to course and from degree to degree, but I think that generally postgrad applicants are interviewed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the Gates, if I remember correctly, you need to write a separate essay to be eligible for the scholarship -- There should be info about that on Cambridge's online postgrad application.
Reply 204
Anyone applying to MPHIL Dev studies?
Original post by pau791
Hi guys, two questions:

Thank you!

1) I'm not sure, but definitely for PhD applications. The course website should say. Which course is it?
2) By filling in the GRADSAF portion that says 'gates personal statement' and submitting the personal reference, yes.
Nice, I know someone who was there for undergrad :biggrin: If you do end up there, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Where else is higher up your preferences? :smile:

Original post by Viceroy
Good choice!! John's is the best! :smile:

Thank you! I got the official e-mail offer this morning, which made the whole thing slightly more real. I'm slightly worried that it's such a big college that it might be difficult to meet people or that there might not be much of an tight-knit grad community, but I hope I'm wrong. It does look gorgeous though :biggrin:

At the moment, The Other Place, London and York are all ahead, based on supervisor fit, but I havn't even submitted those applications yet, so there's just as much change I'll end up in Cam after all (and given how much of a crapshoot funding is, I'll be delighted to end up anywhere!)
Reply 207
Original post by ellie.rew
Thank you! I got the official e-mail offer this morning, which made the whole thing slightly more real. I'm slightly worried that it's such a big college that it might be difficult to meet people or that there might not be much of an tight-knit grad community, but I hope I'm wrong. It does look gorgeous though :biggrin:

At the moment, The Other Place, London and York are all ahead, based on supervisor fit, but I havn't even submitted those applications yet, so there's just as much change I'll end up in Cam after all (and given how much of a crapshoot funding is, I'll be delighted to end up anywhere!)

My Son is at Johns in 3rd year Undergrad, he's hoping to stay for his Mphil he loves it. Just hoping to get an offer now
Reply 208
1) I'm not sure, but definitely for PhD applications. The course website should say. Which course is it?
2) By filling in the GRADSAF portion that says 'gates personal statement' and submitting the personal reference, yes.

It's the Mphil in Technology Policy
Original post by ellie.rew

Eek, exciting! Well hope you get into one of those other places if they're higher up!
Gates referee uploaded his reference at 3am in the morning here. I feel really guilty but at the same time also tremendously relieved :adore:

Now off to write him a polite thank you email!

EDIT: Finished uploading all my supporting documents. Now the waiting game begins! (and off to do my other applications and funding statements...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iceflyier
Gates referee uploaded his reference at 3am in the morning here. I feel really guilty but at the same time also tremendously relieved :adore:

Now off to write him a polite thank you email!

EDIT: Finished uploading all my supporting documents. Now the waiting game begins! (and off to do my other applications and funding statements...)

Can't say the same for mine, but I've sent a reminder email :h:
Can't say the same for mine, but I've sent a reminder email :h:

Sending those reminder emails can be so awkward at times...
Reply 213
Original post by Viceroy
Sending those reminder emails can be so awkward at times...

I find the straightforward approach works best:

Oi! You! Don't you realise how important this is? Get off your butt and write my reference, now!

(Or maybe not :tongue: )
Original post by sj27

Oi! You! Don't you realise how important this is? Get off your butt and write my reference, now!

Haha, love it :smile: I definitely came close to a phrasing like that when one of my PhD referees was cutting it close!
Original post by Viceroy
Haha, love it :smile: I definitely came close to a phrasing like that when one of my PhD referees was cutting it close!

Original post by sj27

Might have to resort to such measures if I need to tomorrow :wink:
Eek, exciting! Well hope you get into one of those other places if they're higher up!

Thank you! I'll be honest, I'll be delighted to get funding anywhere and the best case scenario is that lots of places will offer me scholarships and I'll have a great selection headache! :biggrin:
Hey guys! I am so glad to finally find this forum, I was close to thinking there wouldn't be one for the 15 entry :-/
I submitted my application a week ago and am now waiting for my references (1 down/ 2 to go) I just have a question:

If your academic references are up loaded, will the department wait for the Gates reference to consider you or don't they care about that?

:woo: All my references have been submitted, yay! Now I just have to wait...

Original post by MedPharm1
Hey guys! I am so glad to finally find this forum, I was close to thinking there wouldn't be one for the 15 entry :-/
I submitted my application a week ago and am now waiting for my references (1 down/ 2 to go) I just have a question:

If your academic references are up loaded, will the department wait for the Gates reference to consider you or don't they care about that?

The Gates reference is due the same time as your other references, sorry.
:woo: All my references have been submitted, yay! Now I just have to wait...

Yay! Welcome to the simultaneously scary and exciting waiting bench :cookie: