The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aradia.nox
Oof, it's officially been a month now of seeking a college place, without even having heard anything back from either of my choices! Am I just being impatient? Hope the wait's going well for the rest of you.

Hi aradia. Don't worry, I've been waiting for almost a month as well. I think the colleges are busy but as they mentioned, we shouldn't worry about it :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by ProssieAliba
I hope you were able to fill in the EAS form by 16th April 2015 which is the deadline. It is no longer possible to submit the form now.

Filled it last December together with my Cambridge application, so when I was nominated I just said " hallo , I've been waiting for ya" 'twas a close call though!
Reply 3162
Original post by NickMac
I too am waiting to hear back about development studies. I applied in late February and hope to hear back soon.

I also applied to a different program at Oxford and was offered a place at St. Antony's college there. Naturally I'm very excited about that opportunity, but I have to reply to that offer (which appears to be binding) by the end of the month. Before I commit to that offer, though, I would like to hear back from Cambridge. Considering I'm still on the first stage of the process (under consideration by department), it doesn't seem likely that I'll have anything definite by then.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Should I email the department and ask them about my chances? I don't want to seem pushy and I know they're busy, but I hate the idea of committing somewhere else before I hear back from Cambridge.

This might all just be fantasy but, in theory, I could commit to Oxford now and if I later get into Cambridge after the deadline to commit to Oxford has passed (which is by no means guaranteed), I could defer admission there for a year and begin at Cambridge after completing my first masters. The program at Oxford and the one I applied to at Cambridge are in different, but complementary fields and I would actually very much like to do both. I have a scholarship that covers two years of graduate study and, while that's not enough time to do a PhD, it is enough to do two masters degrees. Is this at all common? Does Cambridge allow admitted students to defer their entry by a year? Would they look kindly upon a student "taking a year off" to study somewhere else?

Sorry for this crazy long rant :biggrin:

Hey, I'm pretty much in your situation (still waiting to hear back from Cam, I also got an offer from Oxford, also at St Ant's, ha!), except I applied in late January and to the Mphil Social Anthropology. I think I might call them next week, but there's a good chance that we don't hear from them before May...

I know that the Anthro department will not allow for people to defer entry to the Masters programmes, so you should probably call your department. Cambridge doesn't seem very flexible in that regard; I know that they have done it before in exceptional circumstances (illness) but I doubt they would accept it for someone who just wants to do another masters first when so many people cannot even do one :wink: Good luck!
Original post by NewGuy6464
I think the shared scholarship and the scholarship for developed countries are two different things. (I hope so!) A lot of people received an error message saying that they had been unsuccessful. I am assuming that everyone, wether they are nominated or not will receive an email when the decisions are made. If we haven't heard anything back, it must be that the selection process for developed countries is not over. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

They mostly are but there are some scholarships for PhD studies available for developed commonwealth countries (Australia, The Bahamas, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Cyprus, Malta, and New Zealand). The applications closed on March 9th though.

I hope so too! Yeah I got that error message too. Went to check my application in the CSUK website, but its gone since the error message was sent. Yeah I havent heard anything from them yet. The latest contact I've gotten is a woman from CSUK asking me if my application to Cambridge which is 4 years is a 1+3 year programme including masters or 3 years with a possible one year of writing up the thesis.
Has anyone applied for MPhil history? I applied for MPhil Historical Studies but I am now being considered for MPhil Modern British History. They asked if I would like to be considered for a different course by the faculty. Is that a good thing or am I just getting my hopes up for no reason?
Original post by faezhafez
I hope so too! Yeah I got that error message too. Went to check my application in the CSUK website, but its gone since the error message was sent. Yeah I havent heard anything from them yet. The latest contact I've gotten is a woman from CSUK asking me if my application to Cambridge which is 4 years is a 1+3 year programme including masters or 3 years with a possible one year of writing up the thesis.

If your application is deleted from the EAS, then unfortunately it means you are rejected. However, only the people who are nominated get feedback on their applications for the shared scholarship.
(edited 9 years ago)
If your application is deleted from the EAS, then unfortunately it means you are rejected. However, only the people who are nominated get feedback on their applications for the shared scholarship.

oh really? I didnt applied for the shared scholarship tho. If I already get rejected since the error msg been sent (which is about two weeks ago) then why bother asking me how long is my course about few days ago right? Doesnt make sense.
Reply 3167
oh really? I didnt applied for the shared scholarship tho. If I already get rejected since the error msg been sent (which is about two weeks ago) then why bother asking me how long is my course about few days ago right? Doesnt make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was under the impression that they're still reviewing the applications for developed countries.

Tried to get an estimated date by when we should hear back but no one would give any indication. It's taking a while though.
Reply 3168
Has anyone heard of Cambridge changing academic conditions if they're impossible? Mine's mathematically impossible to meet based on my GPA. Did they accept me just to reject me? I'm confused (and terrified). Thanks!
Original post by JoeMT
Posted from TSR Mobile

I was under the impression that they're still reviewing the applications for developed countries.

Tried to get an estimated date by when we should hear back but no one would give any indication. It's taking a while though.

Yes I thought so too. Did your applications in the website vanished as well? I tried asking as well but she didnt reply :/
Reply 3170
Original post by bc137
Has anyone heard of Cambridge changing academic conditions if they're impossible? Mine's mathematically impossible to meet based on my GPA. Did they accept me just to reject me? I'm confused (and terrified). Thanks!

Contact them to explain the situation.
Reply 3171
Yes I thought so too. Did your applications in the website vanished as well? I tried asking as well but she didnt reply :/

Yep. Everything vanished.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesn't. Everyone's application vanished from the EAS once they start the review process. People earlier on this thread talked about their experience with the scholarship for developing countries and they got their application removed from the EAS, received an (erroneous) rejection message immediately, a follow-up email saying it was a mistake and later a conditional acceptance so it is possible (and highly likely) that we are still being considered.

My application (and I think everyone's) was removed from the EAS around March 18th when the deadline for reference letters was passed and the CSC began their selection process. I also tried asking them for a rough estimate but nobody replied. The OP for developing countries said it took a few months I think. I don't know if it's going to be the same for us.
Original post by Iyani
Hey, I'm pretty much in your situation (still waiting to hear back from Cam, I also got an offer from Oxford, also at St Ant's, ha!), except I applied in late January and to the Mphil Social Anthropology. I think I might call them next week, but there's a good chance that we don't hear from them before May...

I know that the Anthro department will not allow for people to defer entry to the Masters programmes, so you should probably call your department. Cambridge doesn't seem very flexible in that regard; I know that they have done it before in exceptional circumstances (illness) but I doubt they would accept it for someone who just wants to do another masters first when so many people cannot even do one :wink: Good luck!

I wish to do the MPhil in SA as well! Can I ask you what your bachelor was and what degree you've got? First class/2:1? Also, do you fund it yourself? Thanks! :smile:
Hi guys,

My department is having their BOGS meeting tomorrow, and I had my interview for my MPhil on the 26th March. My status still reads "Under consideration by department". Given the BOGS meeting is tomorrow, am I likely to find out of any status updates in the coming week?

Thanks!
Reply 3175
Original post by meaow1990
I wish to do the MPhil in SA as well! Can I ask you what your bachelor was and what degree you've got? First class/2:1? Also, do you fund it yourself? Thanks! :smile:

I'm currently finishing my undergrad in IR and so I don't have my results yet, although I'm aiming for a first (Oxford is asking me for a 2:1). I didn't get any funding (I'm pretty much ineligible for any scholarship as I'm EU) so yes, I will be funding it myself, through my savings and a loan. How about you?
Has anyone with funding had their gradsaf update? And if so, how long did it take to update after receiving a notification of a scholarship/ bursary award?
(edited 9 years ago)
I got my funding updated within 3 weeks of accepting the offer.
Original post by bc137

Yes. This happened to me a few years ago. Contact your department/supervisor and get them to tell BOGS to change it.
Original post by Iyani
I'm currently finishing my undergrad in IR and so I don't have my results yet, although I'm aiming for a first (Oxford is asking me for a 2:1). I didn't get any funding (I'm pretty much ineligible for any scholarship as I'm EU) so yes, I will be funding it myself, through my savings and a loan. How about you?

Thanks for your quick reply! I am still doing my undergrad, I am not sure whether they will accept me with a degree in Fine art, so I am doing some volunteering/hopefully internships but I'm not sure I'll stand a chance :frown: It seems like most MPhil students already have a BA in Anthropology or social sciences or similar (although the MPhil, at least in Cambridge, is also for new anth students)...

Latest

Trending

Trending