The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

have you guys read much from the suggested reading list? (if you were sent one?). I believe I've been procrastinating a bit this summer :confused:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Can someone please help me!I'm about to submit my application for the Gates Cambridge and Cambridge Trust scholarships.

My essays have several paragraphs as they have been written on word, but when I put it on the online GRADSAF form I can't add any spaces in between paragraphs and when I do the print preview it looks a bit messy since all the paragraphs are virtually combined into one.

Has anyone else run into this issue and resolved it? I've contacted the GRADSAF help people but they have not been too helpful as of late.

In addition, if the websites say 500 word limit but the form says 3100 max char with spaces, which should I stick to?Thank you!!!!
I'm a 2016 applicant and was just wondering if anybody here could help me. On MPhil courses which require "a minimum of a high 2:1", what sort of offer can one expect to be made? Is entry conditional upon achieving a 2:1 in an undergraduate degree, or more specific, ie 67/68 etc? I know it will depend on the department but I was just wondering what offers were made to others in previous years. Thanks.
Reply 3823
With very rare exceptions (one in fact that I can recall in 4 years of these threads*) 67% is the minimum. Bear in mind that a "minimum" is just that and it is not that unusual for a first to be given as the condition even on a course that states 2:1 as the minimum requirement.

* this was just for a 2:1 but if I recall correctly the person already had a publication record and some research assistant experience, or something like that that was a very atypical application.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey all, I have a confirmed offer and accomodation is all sorted, but I haven't heard anything from the student registry (and they haven't applied to my e-mail yet either..) or the department. Should I worry and who should I contact about this?
I'll be starting the Mphil in the history of political thought and intellectual history.
Original post by tsukurutazaki
I'm a 2016 applicant and was just wondering if anybody here could help me. On MPhil courses which require "a minimum of a high 2:1", what sort of offer can one expect to be made? Is entry conditional upon achieving a 2:1 in an undergraduate degree, or more specific, ie 67/68 etc? I know it will depend on the department but I was just wondering what offers were made to others in previous years. Thanks.

I can't speak for all courses, but of the two people I know also coming to cambridge (plus myself) all three of us just had a 2.1 offer - no specific grade percentage.

(we were all predicted and graduated with firsts however, whether that makes a difference I have no idea...)
Original post by Quadrophon
Hey all, I have a confirmed offer and accomodation is all sorted, but I haven't heard anything from the student registry (and they haven't applied to my e-mail yet either..) or the department. Should I worry and who should I contact about this?
I'll be starting the Mphil in the history of political thought and intellectual history.

I only heard from my department yesterday so I wouldn't worry too much right now.
Original post by Quadrophon

i only started hearing in the past week, and then a flurry in the past few days. Which college?
Original post by ianuam
i only started hearing in the past week, and then a flurry in the past few days. Which college?

Clare hall, Ive heard plenty from them, but nothing so far from my department. I'd like to know when my classes start haha.
Original post by Serentonin
I can't speak for all courses, but of the two people I know also coming to cambridge (plus myself) all three of us just had a 2.1 offer - no specific grade percentage.

(we were all predicted and graduated with firsts however, whether that makes a difference I have no idea...)

PRSOM. Thanks! My department seem to have lowered their requirements from "at least a high 2.1" to "a 2.1" and I'm also predicted a first, so fingers crossed.
Hi everyone.
I don't know about you but I've settled in. So it would be nice if we could meet since we are all at Lucy. I'm in Histon Road. Anyone else there?

Original post by hang-the-dj
see you all there in October! :wink:
Hi all,

Is anyone applying for Lent term admission? I need a hand hold.
Original post by Lalaland22
Hi everyone.
I don't know about you but I've settled in. So it would be nice if we could meet since we are all at Lucy. I'm in Histon Road. Anyone else there?

Hey, I'm at Histon too, which block are you in?
Anyone that's applied for 2016/17 how's your application coming along?

FYI: I submitted my application early sept and for AMES. Went from department to consideration by degree committee stage in two days. Now I've been stuck there for about a month. The AMES handbook states that if my application is good enough I should be contacted by a potential supervisor. Fingers crossed!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Serentonin
Hey, I'm at Histon too, which block are you in?

I'm in C. Wbu?
Anyone here got accepted in MPhil Development Studies and currently starting their masters? I'm interested in applying and would like to know more about that course!
Any UK ( Home ) student applied for the LLM? If so so what funding did you apply for? Or in general any UK students.. what funding did you apply for ?
Can I just ask: when you guys were applying, and got to the bit about other universities/courses you've applied for, did you put them all down? Do you have to mention them all? Or can you be a bit sneaky and put two or something, even if you're applying to, say, 5? Also, and final Q, if you are also applying to Oxford then should you mention that in this section, or leave that out? Thinking that it might not look so good, but I don't know if I'm just overthinking things.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3838
Original post by holly_1994
Can I just ask: when you guys were applying, and got to the bit about other universities/courses you've applied for, did you put them all down? Do you have to mention them all? Or can you be a bit sneaky and put two or something, even if you're applying to, say, 5? Also, and final Q, if you are also applying to Oxford then should you mention that in this section, or leave that out? Thinking that it might not look so good, but I don't know if I'm just overthinking things.

Way overthinking. They don't ask these questions to help decide on your application, but to help judge the probability of you actually taking up an offer should you be made one.
Original post by sj27
Way overthinking. They don't ask these questions to help decide on your application, but to help judge the probability of you actually taking up an offer should you be made one.

Thank you, I thought as much! Ah, I see. Thanks for your help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending