The Student Room Group

Schools requirements

I have recently received my GCSE grades and with those grades I am able to do my A-levels. As one of my choices I decided to do English Language however my school said I needed to get at least a B in English language GCSE, however I got a C. Now the school is telling me I can't take it for A-level. But can a school do this ? Can they withhold hold you from doing a subject ?
Original post by Beau 123
I have recently received my GCSE grades and with those grades I am able to do my A-levels. As one of my choices I decided to do English Language however my school said I needed to get at least a B in English language GCSE, however I got a C. Now the school is telling me I can't take it for A-level. But can a school do this ? Can they withhold hold you from doing a subject ?

Absolutely. If you fail to meet their specified subject requirements then they are within their rights to not allow you to do their subject. If they are still allowing you entry then it is probable that they will either offer you a replacement subject, or advise you to continue with three A levels.
Original post by Beau 123

in short, yes. The school had a requirement to take a subject and if you don't reach it they are allowed to not let you take it. Your options are to

1) ask the head teacher of the subject/year.

2) choose another subject

3) go to a different school/sixth form
Schools usually have a minimum grade requirement to take on a subject at A Level. I think at my sixth form you generally need a B in subjects that you're carrying on, so it's not usual.

Quick Reply

Latest