The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
They rarely check and they tell the uni beforehand so they tell the students to make sure you have a license so get one then or hide the tv in the shower.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
The hall managers do regular checks in each flat and rooms, if they see you have a TV they inform the TV licence people who will check to see if you have a licence...
The hall manager has to do this because they can be partly liable as its 'their' property...

there are many ways to scam but i wouldnt advise it, the fine is upto £1000...one of my flat mates last year got fined £500, licence is only £131

its your choice
Only the person is liable, nothing to do with the halls. I don't go to Man Met but at Manchester we were pre-warned anyway, but no way wouuld the warden have informed the TV licence inspectors!
oh rite...didnt know that
we just persumed it was the hall manager at our place because he was always on the lads back about loads of stuff including a licence...

We just thought that the hall manager told the licence people...

but its is still advisable to get one...
if you dont watch much tele you could always just go round to a friends flat who does have a licence

there is also the lounge tele but certain halls you do have to have a licence for this too, im at briarsfield and its in the information pack that we have to but i dont know about the other halls
Reply 5
I dont know about wilmslow either, but I dont watch TV much in the first place so I'm not even bringing one.
Reply 6
The TV license guys just use scare tactics and send everyone an letter saying 'we know you have a tv, pay up etc' regardless of whether you have a TV or not.
If they do find you they don't bother taking a student to court for £1000, they just ask you to buy one.
And they also can't charge for any months you havn't paid if they do find you.
Not worth buyin IMO, risk it, you'll only get pist off if you buy one and people who don't get away with it.
Reply 7
nolestio
The TV license guys just use scare tactics and send everyone an letter saying 'we know you have a tv, pay up etc' regardless of whether you have a TV or not.
If they do find you they don't bother taking a student to court for £1000, they just ask you to buy one.
And they also can't charge for any months you havn't paid if they do find you.
Not worth buyin IMO, risk it, you'll only get pist off if you buy one and people who don't get away with it.

:ditto:

This guy is telling the honest truth! It may seem to people that he is just advocating breaking the law (which he is) but he is also telling the TRUTH! Last year I bought a TV Licence like a good girl, whereas everyone else in my flat didn't buy one......throughout the WHOLE year they all got sent AT LEAST 50 warning letters!! LIke 2 letters week telling them to pay up etc etc and I used to think to myself "good stuff I went and bought a licence, now they are going to be fined :biggrin:" - but lo and behold come the end of the year, even in the last week, they were still getting these letters of "pay up we know u have a tele" and I was like :O

Basically, moral of the story is, its all scare tactics - no point buying one otherwise you'll just get pissed off (like I did last year!) when those people around you who haven't got licences get away with it come the end of the year, leaving you feeling £130-odd out of pocket.....:redface:
Reply 8
One of my flat mates hasn't had one for 3 years, the TV license authority wouldn't be allowed on our site so he sees no reason to get one, hardly even gets a letter now

Latest

Trending

Trending