The Student Room Group

English Literature - can somebody address my fear! Context enough?

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blondelocks
I'm considering switching Sociology for English Lit but I am concerned about a few things.

My analytical ability of a text is generally good and I feel I have good historical knowledge giving me a good grounding in articulating my understanding of the context of a text. I also generally enjoy reading and giving my opinion on a novel etc. etc.

Now, to my concerns! I am not very clued up on basic things like assonance, similes, stanzas etc.. As a result I feel that my essays and answers may lack the sort of depth that other candidates will give hence giving me crap grades.

If A-level Lit requires me to give detailed answers on structure and linguistic devices then it's not for me. But if it requires me to understand a text, it's effect, it's historical context and to be able to dissect certain passages then I think I can do it.

I hope I have made myself clear. Any help is appreciated.

Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
Original post by blondelocks
I'm considering switching Sociology for English Lit but I am concerned about a few things.

My analytical ability of a text is generally good and I feel I have good historical knowledge giving me a good grounding in articulating my understanding of the context of a text. I also generally enjoy reading and giving my opinion on a novel etc. etc.

Now, to my concerns! I am not very clued up on basic things like assonance, similes, stanzas etc.. As a result I feel that my essays and answers may lack the sort of depth that other candidates will give hence giving me crap grades.

If A-level Lit requires me to give detailed answers on structure and linguistic devices then it's not for me. But if it requires me to understand a text, it's effect, it's historical context and to be able to dissect certain passages then I think I can do it.

I hope I have made myself clear. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry I could not get to your thread soon enough! Do you still need advice or have you come to a conclusion?
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Sorry I could not get to your thread soon enough! Do you still need advice or have you come to a conclusion?

Yep made a decision and that was not to take lit. I just didn't feel like it was the natural choice for me. Thanks for the response though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending