The Student Room Group
Reply 1
brpqzme
Hi,
I know next to nothing about SATs (yet), but I was wondering how long it should take to prepare for them on average (like it takes A Levels up to 2yrs)?

Really, once you complete your A Levels, you should be able to sit for your SAT 2s in the relevant subjects without much difficulty or additional revision, which is why many choose to arrange both examinations to be in the same period.

SAT 1 doesn't even require such preparation to begin with since it's just testing your writing style/critical thinking/analytical ability. There are many who choose to memorise the entire dictionary before the examination but that, to me, is just daft and pointless. The format has since been changed as well to discourage such rote learning.
Reply 2
Cheers for the rep buddy; it may be worth 0 but it's the thought that counts, surely. :smile:
Reply 3
haha, it's worht nothing? how come?

btw, i'll look around the forum and the web for info on these SAT1 and 2 tests, but would you happen to have any links for someone who's completely new to this?
Reply 4
brpqzme
haha, it's worht nothing? how come?

btw, i'll look around the forum and the web for info on these SAT1 and 2 tests, but would you happen to have any links for someone who's completely new to this?

You need to have more than 110 rep points yourself, and your post count must be more than 150, for your rep to be worth anything. :wink: Check the FAQ for a calculator.
You do need to practice the SAT I to get a good score. Not study, per se. But you will do better if you are more familiar with the test format.
Reply 6
Agreed.... practice makes perfect. Invest in one of those books with tips and sample test papers, and I don't think you'll regret your decision. :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks guys. I'll prolly get some books and stuff and try to understand how the tests are set up and for practice. :biggrin:
Reply 8
When r u planning to take the test? R u just starting A-Levels (I just made an educated guess from ur 1st post) :biggrin:?

Personally, I think the new SAT I requires much more preparation than the old one. And with this one, u gotta learn the materials as well as practice doing the test. I am not disagreeing with u, Shady Lane, but the new SAT has been made a lot different and a lot less accurate in estimating a student's aptitude (my personal view). But hang on, I think I may be leading another dispute on this thread. Excuse me:biggrin:
Reply 9
actually i've not yet decided when to take the tests - i'll buy a book and see how tough the exams are. if it's possible, i'll try to sit them in December.

but if you say the the rumours of SAT I being easy are no longer true then that sucks :rolleyes:
Reply 10
brpqzme
actually i've not yet decided when to take the tests - i'll buy a book and see how tough the exams are. if it's possible, i'll try to sit them in December.

but if you say the the rumours of SAT I being easy are no longer true then that sucks :rolleyes:

Well, they were never 'easy', per se. People often find the questions to be 'easy' but find the time-constraints to be a hinderance.
If you do want to look at some pratice exams, the College Board website along with the SparkNotes website will have some.
Reply 11
be careful when getting books! publishers such as baron's, princeton review, REA, and others will present different levels of difficulty. If you want to go with the most accurate one, go to the collegeboard website and order their official guide to the new sat. And yes, the SAT's were never easy.

Latest

Trending

Trending