The Student Room Group

Calling someone's parents (to get my money back continued..)

If anyone remembers my issue about trying to get money back from the guy who was meant to pay me back but never did..
Anyway, after him ignoring my 2 messages (one long and heartfelt), and 2 people who said they would try (not sure if they did) nothing happened.

I went away, but now I'm back and my last resort atm is to try to ring his parents. Through some digging I found 6 potential home phone numbers via electoral roll (I couldn't find out exactly without paying).

Now all I have to do is ring - except I've been *****ing myself for a week now. To figure out which one I'd have to ask if he is there, and what if he he answered & recognised me?
Also what if his parents are horrible rich people?

I have a vague script but it's difficult to say anything not rude like he's a thief / con etc.

Can anyone suggest anything or just calm me down before I finally try?!

Reply 1
How much money does this individual owe you? If it's not a substantial amount then just move on.
Reply 2
Original post by H0ls
How much money does this individual owe you? If it's not a substantial amount then just move on.

£700, all which came out of my overdraft.

( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2759281 )
£700 is a lot of money, when you phone them no matter who answers you should be straight to the point and don't back down, make them understand you are serious and that you want the money back. If someone ignored me after agreeing to pay it back I would be livid, there would be no calming me down haha :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by katiiiiie
£700 is a lot of money, when you phone them no matter who answers you should be straight to the point and don't back down, make them understand you are serious and that you want the money back. If someone ignored me after agreeing to pay it back I would be livid, there would be no calming me down haha :tongue:

Ahh, I have been for the last month - just to myself haha.
TBH the most scary part is when trying to figure out the number if he answers and I don't realise - can imagine I'll struggle to talk to them then :/
But thanks, this is calming me down a little lol.
I will *try* to do it tomorrow.. (have been saying this for a week...)
Reply 5
I finally did it, luckily it was the second number I tried and a woman answered. I was actually terrified, I can't stop shaking now. Literally followed none of my script. At least she listened and said she'd talk to him and get back to me. God I feel like such an idiot.

And that means I know where he lives :devil3: (kidding, kidding)

Key fact for everyone to learn: trust no-one. Especially not those who are probably sociopathic.
Original post by Anonymous
I finally did it, luckily it was the second number I tried and a woman answered. I was actually terrified, I can't stop shaking now. Literally followed none of my script. At least she listened and said she'd talk to him and get back to me. God I feel like such an idiot.

And that means I know where he lives :devil3: (kidding, kidding)

Key fact for everyone to learn: trust no-one. Especially not those who are probably sociopathic.

Has he got back to you yet now that his family know about it?
Reply 7
You will get nowhere with his parents. They always protect that which they spawned and will view you as an impertinent little madam, besmirching their son. Either move on and forget it, probably the best option, or go after him.
Wow, I'm really proud of you for making that call. You have done the right thing, regardless of how it turns out. No doubt he is now spinning some tale to his parents, so how this goes will depend in large part whether they have seen him do things like this before.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by katiiiiie
Has he got back to you yet now that his family know about it?

Original post by Zarek
You will get nowhere with his parents. They always protect that which they spawned and will view you as an impertinent little madam, besmirching their son. Either move on and forget it, probably the best option, or go after him.

Original post by Crumpet1
Wow, I'm really proud of you for making that call. You have done the right thing, regardless of how it turns out. No doubt he is now spinning some tale to his parents, so how this goes will depend in large part whether they have seen him do things like this before.

Good luck!

Thank you Crumpet :redface:
Well he always said he has done stupid things so I imagine they were confused but not surprised.
He FBed me within 5 minutes lol. Saying I should never call his home & I could've FBed him (like the message a month ago?)
Claimed I was blackmailing for a minute (?)
Then said he was having trouble with his overdraft and was sorting stuff out or whatever. (even screenshotted..)
Said he would give me details tomorrow and pay it back.
And apologised also.

I doubt he only has one account but whatever, even if it's true it's still not fair to have ignored me and it doesn't change matters really.
Not sure what to think/believe; but feel more relieved though so maybe I'll stop getting illnesses by being stressed all the time now though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending