The Student Room Group

becoming really nervous of stalling..and end up stalling - Often

ive had about 17 hours with an instructor and 8 hours with my parents car.

im stalling all the time now in my dads old fiat punto..i just had an hours drive then and stalled 4 times, but in my instructors car i never stall and the clutch bite point is so much lower and easier to find/manouevere

when i first drove in my dads car though i never stalled it :/ i drove everywhere and never stalled, now im gettin really nervous and paranoid about it that i keep stalling it, the punto's bite point is so high up and the gas pedal is so sensitive and it makes it that more annoying im gettin really scared of it lol

any advice? :/

p.s. by lower i mean to the floor, and higher i mean when letting go of the clutch
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Same problem here!! :smile: I got really big problem with our car its fiat stillo, specially on hills it happens two times now where i cant just go on the hill and we had to change seats with my boyfriend so the car doesn't stay in the middle of the road forever :biggrin: On my instructor car i am completely fine i think because its diesel and our one is petrol and make things difficult. I am now really terrified when approaching hill and have to stop.
I guess more practise its need it.
For example just go on the very quite street and stop and go if necessary all day so you can used to it to the clutch and the car.
I think fiats are very hard to drive:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You will get used to it just pull up the handbreak when you are on the hill, When its time to go set some gas and pull up the clutch to the biting point your car will lift from the rear and then pull down the handbreak and you won't roll back.
Its easier said then done but once you get used to it it will become easier.
I have a fiat 500 and had the exact same problem but I've been driving for 3 months and now I think it's just getting used to something different cause I don't stall anymore :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I was the exact same way but sooner or later it all seems to click and you don't stall. It's better to do this on your lessons.

Just don't worry too much you will get there. I never thought I would but I passed my test on Wednesday.
Original post by BarBar-John
ive had about 17 hours with an instructor and 8 hours with my parents car.

im stalling all the time now in my dads old fiat punto..i just had an hours drive then and stalled 4 times, but in my instructors car i never stall and the clutch bite point is so much lower and easier to find/manouevere

when i first drove in my dads car though i never stalled it :/ i drove everywhere and never stalled, now im gettin really nervous and paranoid about it that i keep stalling it, the punto's bite point is so high up and the gas pedal is so sensitive and it makes it that more annoying im gettin really scared of it lol

any advice? :/

p.s. by lower i mean to the floor, and higher i mean when letting go of the clutch

Push the clutch down. And listen to the engine

pushing the clutch down works
this is exactly the same with me. In my instructors car it's so much smoother and easier to find the biting point and I never have stalled in his car. But the moment I step foot into my car, I can't seem to control the gas and the clutch biting point properly which leads to it stalling. it's really frustrating me and is putting me off wanting to drive in my own car.
Reply 7
update: i never stall anymore, ever. to the people who still stall, don't worry, as it will all click eventually - cliche but its kinda the truth.
Glad your problem has been solved :smile: For other people who might be having this problem- check the gas type of the cars. I had this exact same problem then it turned out my instructor had a diesel car and my dad's car is petrol. With petrol, you have push down on the gas more and lift the clutch a lot higher to start.
Literally having the exact same problem now, but it’s my car and I’m starting to lose the excitement I first had to drive. How long did it take to stop stalling? In my instructors car I had no issues (Ford fiesta) and in my dads car (Audi) I was fine but this one makes me feel like I should’ve never been put on the road, terrified of stopping now lol. Is it because the biting point was way easier to find on the newer cars? I’ve managed to find the biting point and when I stop I have to find it instantly so I’m ready to go, but it doesn’t help when I’ve just stopped and have to go again, the fear makes me lift it too fast or all my coordination is off- hence stalling the car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending