The Student Room Group

Smart people only!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Medically
Because when it rains, the person uses the umbrella

Edit: the umbrella will make it easier for the person to touch the button in the elevator because the person is short in height.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elohssa
Yep. Tough one:

A man lives on the 28th floor of a high-rise building. Every day he gets the lift down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work he always gets down at the 26th floor and has to climb the other two floors - unless it's raining! Why?

I've seen this one before! He's a dwarf! He can only reach the 28 button when he has his umbrella with him (when it's raining)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malorys ballsack
if 1=4

then

4=1

Using the conventional definition of "=", 1≠4. Using any other definition of "=", 1=4 does not necessarily imply that 4=1.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Using the conventional definition of "=", 1≠4. Using any other definition of "=", 1=4 does not necessarily imply that 4=1.

So? Reading the word whig in a political sense when someone is talking about hair is just reading it out of context.
Reply 84
A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dyes on the spot, but the boy is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?
Original post by elohssa
A man and his son are in a car accident. The father dyes on the spot, but the boy is rushed to the hospital. When he arrives the surgeon says, "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son!" How can this be?

This is a logical impossibility. How can a surgeon be a woman?
Reply 86
This is a logical impossibility. How can a surgeon be a woman?

The surgeon is a man.
Original post by elohssa
The surgeon is a man.

Oh my attention to detail is slipping, i've heard it before but the surgeon was women... sloppy error.
Reply 88
Oh my attention to detail is slipping, i've heard it before but the surgeon was women... sloppy error.

Hehe caught you out there :tongue:
So? Reading the word whig in a political sense when someone is talking about hair is just reading it out of context.

Yeah, but by that analogy, you had invented something entirely new, with aspects of both wigs and whigs.
Reply 90
Original post by elohssa
Hehe caught you out there :tongue:

it doesn't say surgeon is a man. also why did you write dyes?
I think it has something to do with that. otherwise it's the surgeon is a woman
Reply 91
Your are standing before two gates. One leads to heaven, the other leads to Hell, but you don't know what hides behind either door. There are two gatekeepers. You know one of them always tells the truth and the other always lies, but you don't know who is the honest one and who is the liar. You can only ask one question to one of them in order to find the way to heaven. What is the question?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Yeah, but by that analogy, you had invented something entirely new, with aspects of both wigs and whigs.

what the hell i need to sleep why does my spelling do that? srs i don't usually suck that much it's a scribal error caused by lack of concentration and words sounding similiar.

you get the point though? you need to understand that things get their definitions in contexts.
Reply 93
Original post by elohssa
Your are standing before two gates. One leads to heaven, the other leads to Hell, but you don't know what hides behind either door. There are two gatekeepers. You know one of them always tells the truth and the other always lies, but you don't know who is the honest one and who is the liar. You can only ask one question to one of them in order to find the way to heaven. What is the question?

I've heard this before but I can't remember it now :frown:
Reply 94
Original post by Qari
it doesn't say surgeon is a man. also why did you write dyes?
I think it has something to do with that. otherwise it's the surgeon is a woman

The traditional answer to that riddle is that the surgeon is a woman - but female surgeons is a bit far fetched. So I put 'dyes' in to give it a second answer.
Reply 95
Original post by Qari
I've heard this before but I can't remember it now :frown:

It was on the Ricky Gervais show (although Ricky worded it wrong which made it very easy).
does medically feel alright with you taking over elohssa?... just wondering lol
Original post by TenOfThem
I am unhappy with the logic you are using for your first question

Given that you write 1=4 you are, clearly, not using the "=" sign in the traditional sense

You do not establish what relationship the "=" is representing so there is no logic in assuming that it is an iff function

The numbers he was using in the question could be variable names rather than values. There are also many other possibilities. But yes, I have to say that this question he gave us was a bit vague and ambiguous.

He gave the following criteria:
1=4 2=16 3=48 4=? 5=176 6=245

So we assume that these are true to answer the question.
If 1 does indeed equal 4, then 4 must equal 1.
Thomas Aquinas?
Reply 99
Original post by Leah910
does medically feel alright with you taking over elohssa?... just wondering lol

Good point. I don't want to be an аsshоle :wink: That would be rather backwards of me... (see if someone can get that one)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest