The Student Room Group

Are these subjects okay for a law degree?

I have chosen Maths, law, sociology and media studies. Would these subjects be okay for me to do law at a Russell group Uni, Liverpool to specific. I'll probably drop media studies next year. I know English/history are the best but are these okay if I get top grades in them.
law, media studies and sociology are all quite soft subjects and russell group universities require at least 2 facilitating ones. i'd strongly recommend you took
english literature and history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lawyersaab
I have chosen Maths, law, sociology and media studies. Would these subjects be okay for me to do law at a Russell group Uni, Liverpool to specific. I'll probably drop media studies next year. I know English/history are the best but are these okay if I get top grades in them.

This is where it gets a little harder to say whether taking 'soft' subjects, but getting As in them is enough to get an offer.

Are there any other subjects which you think you can get an A in?
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum
This is where it gets a little harder to say whether taking 'soft' subjects, but getting As in them is enough to get an offer.

Are there any other subjects which you think you can get an A in?

Hopefully I'll get A's in all of them. I'm retaking year 12 so I know where I went wrong last year. Would economics, law, maths and government and politics or sociology be a better choice. I might be able to do them aswell as the other college hasn't got back to me yet?
Hopefully I'll get A's in all of them. I'm retaking year 12 so I know where I went wrong last year. Would economics, law, maths and government and politics or sociology be a better choice. I might be able to do them aswell as the other college hasn't got back to me yet?

Economics and maths are 'strong'. I would suggest that's a better choice, as long as you think that you get can As in them.
Reply 5
Economics and maths are 'strong'. I would suggest that's a better choice, as long as you think that you get can As in them.

For instance I go for maths, law, sociology and media studies do i still stand a chance of going to a russel group uni? Some unis have specifically written on ucas that they want atleast 2 traditional subjects. The ones that have written any subjects do I stand a chance of getting in their?
For instance I go for maths, law, sociology and media studies do i still stand a chance of going to a russel group uni? Some unis have specifically written on ucas that they want atleast 2 traditional subjects. The ones that have written any subjects do I stand a chance of getting in their?

That's three soft subjects, maths being the exception.

Yes, law at A-level is regarded as soft.
Original post by tanyapotter
law, media studies and sociology are all quite soft subjects and russell group universities require at least 2 facilitating ones. i'd strongly recommend you took
english literature and history.

No they don't. Please understand what a facilitating subject is. A facilitating subject is a subject that preserves the widest freedom of choice of academic courses. As very few law courses are prescriptive about subjects, that is largely irrelevant.

A candidate applying with say, RE, economics and philosophy A levels (no facilitating subjects) would be at no discernible disadvantage for law to one applying with maths, geography and German (three facilitating subjects).
Original post by nulli tertius
No they don't. Please understand what a facilitating subject is. A facilitating subject is a subject that preserves the widest freedom of choice of academic courses. As very few law courses are prescriptive about subjects, that is largely irrelevant.

A candidate applying with say, RE, economics and philosophy A levels (no facilitating subjects) would be at no discernible disadvantage for law to one applying with maths, geography and German (three facilitating subjects).

are you denying that russell group universities in particular normally prefer at least 2 facilitating subjects, especially for a course as rigorous as law in which candidates would benefit most from a-levels such as english literature and history? law a-level is not particularly highly regarded and since maths is the only non-soft subject OP is taking, i was simply suggesting they considered two more difficult a-levels if they are serious about applying to the top universities in the uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
are you denying that russell group universities in particular normally prefer at least 2 facilitating subjects, especially for a course as rigorous as law

Yes, that is what I am denying

in which candidates would benefit most from a-levels such as english literature and history?

I am denying that as well

law a-level is not particularly highly regarded

I agree that this is not particularly highly regarded by legal academics. However, the boat has sailed many years ago for turning down candidates because they have A level law.

and since maths is the only non-soft subject OP is taking, i was simply suggesting they considered two more difficult a-levels if they are serious about applying to the top universities in the uk.

With respect, that was not what you were saying at all. If you had said that, I wouldn't have questioned what you were saying.
It is best to avoid Media Studies completely as it is a Micky Mouse subject. If you can take Economics instead that would be good as you with have two facilitating subjects. Politics is a better option than Sociology but if you prefer Sociology take it.

You have to get AAB+ so dont take subjects you find difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
It is best to avoid Media Studies completely as it is a Micky Mouse subject. If you can take Economics instead that would be good as you with have two facilitating subjects. Politics is a better option than Sociology but if you prefer Sociology take it.

You have to get AAB+ so dont take subjects you find difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, if the OP takes economics rather than media studies and politics rather than sociology, the OP will still only have one facilitating subject; maths.
Original post by nulli tertius
No, if the OP takes economics rather than media studies and politics rather than sociology, the OP will still only have one facilitating subject; maths.

So instead of using the terminology of 'facilitating subjects', should we instead use 'preferred subjects'?
So instead of using the terminology of 'facilitating subjects', should we instead use 'preferred subjects'?

If they are indeed preferred. A few places make it clear what subjects they prefer. However mostly they do not and mostly they don't care. What they do care, most strongly about, is that the subjects taken together represent an academic profile.

The difficulty with referring to preferred subjects is that you then tend to get the nonsense, on TSR at least, of people posting that at a candidate with say high predicted grades at history, French and media studies, has a lower prospect of admission than someone with history, French and English.

Personally I think Southampton expresses it very well (whether they stick to it is another matter):-

Applicants should offer at least two traditional, academic subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending