The Student Room Group

ak_93 New car thread (4-6k)

I currently have an old 14 year old Fiat Punto MK2 which cost me £500, I am looking to buy my second car, I care more about the engine performance and its economy than the quality of the interior finish on the car.

What is your budget?
£4000-6000
What is going to be the main use of the car?
Around London(dual carrageways) and monthly motorway trips (200+miles)
Anything else?
5* NCAP, 90hp +?, Manual.

these are the kind of cars I have been looking at, I like idea of these TSI engines having 100+ hp and having allmost diesel like economy. However these are all on the top end of my budget and have quite a high mileage.

Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI, 2009, 50k Miles for £6000
Seat Leon 1.4 TSI 2009, 50K miles for £6000
Skoda Fabia 1.2 TSI 2009, 30K miles for £6000

Should I be looking at anything else? Maybe a Punto T-Jet ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ak_93
xxxx

Mazda 2 sport or normal one, Ford fiesta or focus, Honda Civic, Merc A-class(worse economically then some of the others listed so far),Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris, VW polo, Corsa, etc

Just look around to be honest, there are good cars without TSI engines who have good economy. But I do like Seat as a company and their styling.

High mileage? I think thats ok, as long as you aren't around the 60k-70k mark where theres the major service usually.
I think you just need to make sure the car you get has been maintained properly, serviced regularly, etc.

Alternatively just get something towards the 4k mark you'd be happy to drive around in.
They dont produce the economy like the manufactures say. Ask the owners of them.

The mk1 cupra TDI. Id get one of these. Much better car.

Better fuel economy
Faster
Better handling and grip
Looks reasonable and not like a toy as per the cars you listed.
Better build quality
Better interior
Will happily do 200k if looked after correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending