The Student Room Group

Applying to Biochemistry/Biomedical sciences HELP

hi, I got a C overall in chemistry AS, 1 raw mark off a B/2UMS off B. The exact same thing has happened in psychology, one raw mark of a B.

Here are my grades from AS
BIOL1: Low C
BIOL2: 1 mark off an A
BIOL3: 1 mark off an A
Overall: B
CHEM1: Low C
CHEM2: Solid B
CHEM3: 1 mark of an A
Overall C and 1 mark off a B
Psychology1: High D
Psychology2: High B
Overall: C, one mark off a B
Maths1: High B
Maths2: U
Stats1: High E
Overall: E, 2 UMS from a D.

Also got an A in General Studies

So I want to go to a university in london and the two i've always wanted to go to are Kings College and Queen Marys but I did not get the best grades in the world in my AS. Had some panic attacks because i think i took the exam so seriously compared to everyone else, which proberly explains why only around 25%ish of my year are moving up to A2? -_-

I want to do Biomedical science/Biochemistry At university. Here are the entry requirements

Biomedical Sciences Kings AAB
Biomedical Sciences Queen Marys ABB
Biochemistry Queen Marys ABB
Biochemistry Kings ABB
Radiography (Diagnostic) St Georges BBB

Looking at my results my teachers will probably predict me as BBB, But i need AAB. I'm looking to resit Psych 1, Biol 1, Chem 1 and all the Isa's (Unit 3 sciences). Realistically speaking, I hope to get AAB after i've resat these and i'mgoing to work for an AAA however I don't think that the teachers will predict me as an AAB?

I want to do Biomedical science/Biochemistry At university, I did call a bunch of universities about whether applying with a grade BBCEA at AS is reasonable and they said yes but i don't think I will have a chance against others? Can anyone help? Should i apply to university with those AS grades? Whats the likelyhood of me being accepted over a person with better AS grades? Resit the year? do another A-level? HELP?

P.s I love Science.
Reply 1
Don't put too much pressure on yourself doing resits; remember you will have all the new A2 exams AND the resits and it's easy to overstretch yourself and cause more panic attacks, which I know from experience can be huge downer on grades. I'm doing Biochemistry and I applied to Reading (not that I ended up there!) which I think the entry grades were BBB, so it depends how much you want to be in London. It's worth looking around at other unis.

Of course the other thing that can help is work experience, even if you just get a week of it next summer. Someone with better grades but no work experience may be considered as 'lower' in the stakes than you. Tell everyone you know that you're looking for it, someone will know someone who knows someone etc who could help.

I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by hmfs
Don't put too much pressure on yourself doing resits; remember you will have all the new A2 exams AND the resits and it's easy to overstretch yourself and cause more panic attacks, which I know from experience can be huge downer on grades. I'm doing Biochemistry and I applied to Reading (not that I ended up there!) which I think the entry grades were BBB, so it depends how much you want to be in London. It's worth looking around at other unis.

Of course the other thing that can help is work experience, even if you just get a week of it next summer. Someone with better grades but no work experience may be considered as 'lower' in the stakes than you. Tell everyone you know that you're looking for it, someone will know someone who knows someone etc who could help.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!! Would you say helping running lab practicals for gcse students (organic preperations) class as worm work experience?
Reply 3
Original post by Shakir786
Thanks!! Would you say helping running lab practicals for gcse students (organic preperations) class as worm work experience?

Yes definitely, anything that shows either that you have enthusiasm and drive for science like that does, or which shows you are stretching yourself in science (and that's where work experience in a real lab might help). :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending