Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Reapply to Edinburgh or go to Bristol??

what do you guys think?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suspect you'll like whichever university you go to!

Look at it like this -- you're paying GBP 2300 less a year to go to Bristol, so you could spend some of that on visiting other parts of the UK when you have free time. Perhaps day trips to local cities like Bath or Cardiff; perhaps a few days away during university vacations to Edinburgh, London, etc. (You can fly direct from Bristol to Edinburgh; I've done it myself for a day trip(!))

If you withdraw and reapply, it's an additional year of your life before you get your degree.

I wouldn't worry too much about league tables. When you apply for a job, I don't think it's very likely that employers will immediately reach for the latest league tables to see how good the University was that you studied at.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
I suspect you'll like whichever university you go to!

Look at it like this -- you're paying GBP 2300 less a year to go to Bristol, so you could spend some of that on visiting other parts of the UK when you have free time. Perhaps day trips to local cities like Bath or Cardiff; perhaps a few days away during university vacations to Edinburgh, London, etc. (You can fly direct from Bristol to Edinburgh; I've done it myself for a day trip(!))

If you withdraw and reapply, it's an additional year of your life before you get your degree.

I wouldn't worry too much about league tables. When you apply for a job, I don't think it's very likely that employers will immediately reach for the latest league tables to see how good the University was that you studied at.

I feel so stupid for not factoring in accommodation cost which is considerably more than Edinburgh and would ultimately work out the same in terms of total cost at both unis..
Original post by balalika
I feel so stupid for not factoring in accommodation cost which is considerably more than Edinburgh and would ultimately work out the same in terms of total cost at both unis..

You're not really going to get an unbiased opinion in the Bristol forum! However, both are excellent universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You're not really going to get an unbiased opinion in the Bristol forum! However, both are excellent universities.

I was actually hoping a Bristol student will come in and say something really positive about the uni that will reassure me of my decision haha..
(edited 9 years ago)
I was actually hoping a Bristol student will come in and say something really positive about the uni that will reassure me of my decision haha..

my only option is to take a gap year and reapply again as I have already paid for my visa for Bristol uni :frown:

Well, speaking as someone with an extraordinary fondness for Edinburgh, I have to say that Bristol is very highly thought of and the weather is a whole lot better!
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, speaking as someone with an extraordinary fondness for Edinburgh, I have to say that Bristol is very highly thought of and the weather is a whole lot better!

aww you went to Edinburgh, must have been like a fantasy. no help that I am currently rereading harry potter :blushing:
aww you went to Edinburgh, must have been like a fantasy. no help that I am currently rereading harry potter :blushing:

No, I went to Manchester, but my son has just graduated from Edinburgh and lives there. He used to live just round the corner from JK Rowling's house.
I had offers from both universities but for different subjects. I am an international student and made my decision purely based on cost of tuition fees. Bristol being GBP17,750 per annum and Edinburgh GBP20,050 per annum.

I am starting to regret my decision as I prefer the ancient city of Edinburgh compared to the modern buildings of Bristol. This would be my first time coming to Europe and as a child I have always dreamed of castles and old stone shops and houses. I know this all sounds very silly.

Also Edinburgh is much higher on the international league tables compared to Bristol, which seems to be slipping each year..

I don't feel as excited about going to uni anymore, i'm not sure if i'm just being silly and feel stupid reading back this thread year later..

what do you guys think?

Have you actually visited Bristol and Edinburgh? Bristol has its fair share of grand old buildings and romantic cobbled streets, but these idealistic visions are a poor reason to choose a university. As are league tables, though I'm not sure which ones you're looking at because from the ones I've seen Bristol is often either above or below Edinburgh by negligible percentage points, while every table where one is significantly higher than the other is matched by one in reverse. Have you studied the methodology of these tables before valuing them so highly? They probably include many factors which will be unimportant or totally irrelevant to your studies, and it is often the case that when these are removed the positions are exchanged. Students at both of these universities will receive world class education and their employment prospects will not vary at all purely on the basis of university name. Perhaps you should reconsider going to a UK university at all if the factors influencing your extremely expensive life choice are league tables and rosy-eyed preconceptions about the environments.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a bit confused about the "modern buildings of Bristol" comment. Have you actually visited Bristol? Bristol and Edinburgh are both historic cities with attractive city centres. Edinburgh has its castle, Bristol has the waterfront, the suspension bridge and a warmer climate. They're both lovely.
Reply 10
Original post by Birkenhead
Have you actually visited Bristol and Edinburgh? Bristol has its fair share of grand old buildings and romantic cobbled streets, but these idealistic visions are a poor reason to choose a university. As are league tables, though I'm not sure which ones you're looking at because from the ones I've seen Bristol is often either above or below Edinburgh by negligible percentage points, while every table where one is significantly higher than the other is matched by one in reverse. Have you studied the methodology of these tables before valuing them so highly? They probably include many factors which will be unimportant or totally irrelevant to your studies, and it is often the case that when these are removed the positions are exchanged. Students at both of these universities will receive world class education and their employment prospects will not vary at all purely on the basis of university name. Perhaps you should reconsider going to a UK university at all if the factors influencing your extremely expensive life choice are league tables and rosy-eyed preconceptions about the environments.

Hi Brikenhead,
I know this thread sounds very childish, and yes it will be my first time going to the UK. I have never been to Europe before so my perception from it is only from tv and pictures. This thread is not meant to be entirely serious. I though I was making a wise decision choosing the less expensive university. However at that time I did not factor in cost of living (very stupid of me) and only recently worked out that it would cost around the same for both unis. The only source I have to compare the universities and locations are league tables and internet forums. I was satisfied with my decision until my parents mention that I should have gone to Edinburgh, far more well known in asia, and much prettier architecture if I might add although I know its not an important factor. Yes I will be paying for uni out of my own pocket through loans so I will surely work very hard when term begins. My only regret is not thoroughly researching the finances of studying at both places before I had made the decision.
Reply 11
Original post by Crumpet1
I'm a bit confused about the "modern buildings of Bristol" comment. Have you actually visited Bristol? Bristol and Edinburgh are both historic cities with attractive city centres. Edinburgh has its castle, Bristol has the waterfront, the suspension bridge and a warmer climate. They're both lovely.

nope I have only seen Bristol through google maps and images. it will be my first time coming to the uk (so excited!!:h:) I couldn't afford to visit both places before making the decision. I wish I could have been to the open days at both unis, would certainly have made the decision a lot easier.
Personally I wouldn't say Edinburgh has prettier architecture. I find it somewhat bleak myself, and much prefer Bristol.
I see also that your offers are for different subjects. Presumably a part of your decision was also that you had a preference to study the subject offered by Bristol?

I'd suggest you stop worrying about architecture and instead focus on the actual courses. Read up again on the courses at Bristol and remind yourself why you chose it in the first place.

Do you have any links for this? I doubt the costs are significantly different.

my only option is to take a gap year and reapply again as I have already paid for my visa for Bristol uni :frown:

If you know you wouldn't be happy in Bristol then this would be wise, but so far your only bases for this drastic measure seem to be Harry Potter and the idea that Edinburgh is an amalgamation of the landscapes of every High Fantasy novel ever written. Even if it were, which it isn't, the novelty of that would soon wear off and is not a sound basis for wasting a visa charge and a year of your life.

I am at Bristol now and loving it. The university and its accommodation are centred in Clifton which is bursting with lovely Georgian architecture. The prospects, teaching and support are all excellent. You wanted something positive and you seem to emphasise the environment so here are a few images of Clifton and the uni:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLtE3vCXORFBcLOAaCwGVOQw5xu62j4xk708Jdhyw2n_JR6D_W_w
Hi Birkenhead,
I know this thread sounds very childish, and yes it will be my first time going to the UK. I have never been to Europe before so my perception from it is only from tv and pictures. This thread is not meant to be entirely serious. I though I was making a wise decision choosing the less expensive university. However at that time I did not factor in cost of living (very stupid of me) and only recently worked out that it would cost around the same for both unis. The only source I have to compare the universities and locations are league tables and internet forums. I was satisfied with my decision until my parents mention that I should have gone to Edinburgh, far more well known in asia, and much prettier architecture if I might add although I know its not an important factor. Yes I will be paying for uni out of my own pocket through loans so I will surely work very hard when term begins. My only regret is not thoroughly researching the finances of studying at both places before I had made the decision.

You seem to be suggesting that the cost of living in Bristol will be around £2300 more than in Edinburgh. Where is your evidence for this? You can very easily live cheaply in Bristol. It sounds like you are rationalising sophistically to justify re-applying. Any employer worth working for in Asia will be impressed by Bristol just as much - but will you even be working in Asia? League tables, internet forums and google earth are not good ways of choosing a university. Both are excellent universities with equal prestige and prospects and beautiful surroundings - you have accepted Bristol and obtained a visa, so go to Bristol.

PS What are the courses you applied for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Why would you want to go to Edinburgh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzMxTHksVT4
Reply 17
Original post by Birkenhead
You seem to be suggesting that the cost of living in Bristol will be around £2300 more than in Edinburgh. Where is your evidence for this? You can very easily live cheaply in Bristol. It sounds like you are rationalising sophistically to justify re-applying. Any employer worth working for in Asia will be impressed by Bristol just as much - but will you even be working in Asia? League tables, internet forums and google earth are not good ways of choosing a university. Both are excellent universities with equal prestige and prospects and beautiful surroundings - you have accepted Bristol and obtained a visa, so go to Bristol.

PS What are the courses you applied for?

Thank you for your response Brickenhead.
I got the numbers from websites like numbeo.com which compare cost of living between cities. I was also really shocked that the accommodation I was give was gbp5400 which is about 1000 more for the same thing I can get in Edinburgh. But you are right that I was trying to justify taking a year out and reapplying. I have been waiting for a long time to go to uni, worked really hard in college and now that it is finally here, I'm just not excited about it anymore. I don't know why.

Another thing that really attracted me to Scotland was that it is surrounded by natural beauty. I really enjoy hiking and camping and cave exploring. Are there any forest or caves near birstol? Also how much would private accommodation cost per month.
(edited 9 years ago)
You won't find 'forests or caves' anywhere near suburban Edinburgh.
Reply 19
Original post by returnmigrant
You won't find 'forests or caves' anywhere near suburban Edinburgh.

obviously I know I would have to drive out of the city, are there any good hiking spots around Bristol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending