The Student Room Group

Should the Unemployed get the new Apple Mac when its released in September?

I think so, because they need it to find jobs. Your thoughts?
[video="youtube;yQdbbzeLitk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdbbzeLitk[/video]
Of course they should, along with the new iPhone 6 and a complimentary iPad Air!
Original post by mellie220
Of course they should, along with the new iPhone 6 and a complimentary iPad Air!

I agree. They deserve it all, for living such terrible lives which of course, are no fault of their own.
Original post by mellie220

Hmm, i agree with the Mac and possibly the Iphone as it is needed in todays "Always Online" work place, but the new Ipad may be a bit too far.
What a fantastic idea.
Reply 5
They should be given 10 grand too! :smile:
Reply 6
Maybe not because of the cost but it would be good to have decent easy to use computers available in the job centre
Original post by alapa
Maybe not because of the cost but it would be good to have decent easy to use computers available in the job center
Why not put the new Apple Mac in all Job centres?
Reply 8
The computers don't need to be in the job centres, they could just as easily be in public libraries.

Obviously this is a trolling post to bait those who are unemployed and I'm not going to let this kind of nastiness pass because you're perpetuating a toxic myth. To date, I've been fortunate and worked my entire adult life. Throughout that time I have always paid my national insurance contributions and a hefty amount of tax.

The Government (especially the Tories) want people like me to have the mindset that people who are unemployed are skivers and scroungers. They want to do this so I applaud them when they cut unemployment and housing benefit. However, I'm not going to be a sucker for this because what they're actually doing is eroding my safety net in the event of unemployment whilst still taking large amounts of national insurance and tax (presumably to stash the cash for the indulgent baby boomer generation, who despite being wealthier than my generation, have failed to pay enough for their state pensions or the likely demands on the NHS).

In the past, benefits would be enough to tide you over if you lost your job and needed a few months to find another one. That meant, for example, that you probably wouldn't lose your house if you were an owner occupier or could carry on paying the rent. They're taking that safety net away and to make matters worse they're doing it at a time when such a safety net is becoming more important, as less people work in permanent roles eligible for redundancy payments, instead working on short term contracts.

They have no right to take this safety net away without cutting our national insurance contributions, yet they do it by highlighting what is actually a miniscule problem, benefit recipients who choose not to work. Most recipients want to work and can't find a job and the amounts spent on the workshy are a tiny proportion of the UK budget (the vast majority of social security spending you see goes to pensioners, but they conveniently fail to split that out when they want to make a point).
Original post by AW1983
The computers don't need to be in the job centres, they could just as easily be in public libraries.

Obviously this is a trolling post to bait those who are unemployed and I'm not going to let this kind of nice behaviour pass because you're perpetuating a toxic myth. To date, I've been fortunate and worked my entire adult life. Throughout that time I have always paid my national insurance contributions and a hefty amount of tax.

The Government (especially the Tories) want people like me to have the mindset that people who are unemployed are skivers and scroungers. They want to do this so I applaud them when they cut unemployment and housing benefit. However, I'm not going to be a sucker for this because what they're actually doing is eroding my safety net in the event of unemployment whilst still taking large amounts of national insurance and tax (presumably to stash the cash for the indulgent baby boomer generation, who despite being wealthier than my generation, have failed to pay enough for their state pensions or the likely demands on the NHS).

In the past, benefits would be enough to tide you over if you lost your job and needed a few months to find another one. That meant, for example, that you probably wouldn't lose your house if you were an owner occupier or could carry on paying the rent. They're taking that safety net away and to make matters worse they're doing it at a time when such a safety net is becoming more important, as less people work in permanent roles eligible for redundancy payments, instead working on short term contracts.

They have no right to take this safety net away without cutting our national insurance contributions, yet they do it by highlighting what is actually a miniscule problem, benefit recipients who choose not to work. Most recipients want to work and can't find a job and the amounts spent on the workshy are a tiny proportion of the UK budget (the vast majority of social security spending you see goes to pensioners, but they conveniently fail to split that out when they want to make a point).

Did you even watch the video, nobody is "Trolling" everyone here is raising a serious point.
Reply 10
I really don't think it is a serious point. A serious point would be more computers in public libraries; giving the unemployed a Mac with no questions asked won't solve anything. What will happen:

1) People facing financial hardship will sell them;
2) A lot of people won't have the IT or search skills to use them;
3) They will give job centres another excuse to do even less to help people find work.
I am unemployed and I have the latest imac. Why not??

Posted from TSR Mobile
No way they should look for a job at their local library or get a cheap netbook on amazon for 50 quid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Youis Trollin
Why not put the new Apple Mac in all Job centres?

Would be great if they could. But just some semi decent ones would be good
or they can dig up steve jobs' grave, pull down their pants and let steve **** them right in the ass because that's pretty much what is happening.
Reply 15
Ahhh yes let's buy poor people expensive luxury items so they learn how to manage their money /s

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't tell if people are trolling or being serious, but hey ho Ima give my serious input

No.

While of course we should help the unemployed and I'm not one of those mugs that falls for the "benefits street" documentaries etc, I do not see what benefit a MacBook or iMac would give them, that a £50 NoteBook does. The money would be better invested elsewhere to help the unemployed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending