The Student Room Group

How much money?

Hello!

I'm starting uni soon, but I have no idea how much money to take for Freshers week (mine only lasts a week)...would £100 enough? I'm looking forward to partying and all that, but I'm worried I could end up being the skint one if I don't take more than that??

Also, I've just worked out that I'll have about £80 per week left after rent for food and for going out...is this enough? How much do you/people normally have a week for non-rent things?

Thanks for any replies :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My first and most important question is, do you drink and go out much?
Just take your card and draw out what you need.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
My first and most important question is, do you drink and go out much?

Yeah, I love going out and drinking. I'm not as extroverted as a lot of other people, but during Freshers I'd like to go out and drink as often as others. After Freshers though probably only a few times a week tops :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RoundTrip
Just take your card and draw out what you need.

Problem with that is I may not physically have more than my £80 per week or more than £100 for Freshers. I know I'll have the loans etc but weekly the loans don't cover my rent so I'll be using some of my work money for rent! I used to be v. bad with money...don't really want to touch my loans for rent tbh.
Original post by curiousnow4
Yeah, I love going out and drinking. I'm not as extroverted as a lot of other people, but during Freshers I'd like to go out and drink as often as others. After Freshers though probably only a few times a week tops :smile:

As long as you aren't a heavy drinker £80 should be fine.

I little advice. When you go out drinking, only take the amount of money you need. Taking your card can lead to large drunken withdraws.
Reply 6
Arrange a student overdraft with your bank if you haven't already done so. This way you will have extra money available if you need it
On freshers week, you'll probably spend about £20-30 a day, because they do deals, so put aside £150 to be safe.

As diddy says, don't take your card with you, and another word of advice, keep £10 in a safe pocket that you DON'T go into for drinks - that's for if it gets to the end of the night, and you end up stranded somewhere and need to get a bus or cab to halls/house.
Original post by JMC_95
Arrange a student overdraft with your bank if you haven't already done so. This way you will have extra money available if you need it

Lol student overdrafts weren't designed for freshers week shennanigans! :P
Original post by XMaramena

What else were they made for?
Reply 10

You're right, they were made for year long shenanigans.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JMC_95
You're right, they were made for yearly shenanigans.

You sir will go far in life.
£80/week is PLENTY, however if you're going out every night in freshers week then £100 isn't going to get you very far.
Reply 13
Original post by GoingToBurst
£80/week is PLENTY, however if you're going out every night in freshers week then £100 isn't going to get you very far.

Thanks :smile: I'm relieved £80 will be okay. As for freshers, I'm going to save £150 for it! Already put most of this in my account ready.
Reply 14
On freshers week, you'll probably spend about £20-30 a day, because they do deals, so put aside £150 to be safe.

As diddy says, don't take your card with you, and another word of advice, keep £10 in a safe pocket that you DON'T go into for drinks - that's for if it gets to the end of the night, and you end up stranded somewhere and need to get a bus or cab to halls/house.

£150 it is then, thanks!

Oh yeah, I've had a couple of experiences of that lol... I normally hide my taxi money in my bag so that I can't accidentally spend it on drink or chips on the way to a taxi :biggrin:
Reply 15
Thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:
Original post by curiousnow4
Thanks :smile: I'm relieved £80 will be okay. As for freshers, I'm going to save £150 for it! Already put most of this in my account ready.

You should be alright with £150 :smile:, and if it ends up being too much for whatever reason then you've got some spare cash left over :smile:.
You should be alright with £150 :smile:, and if it ends up being too much for whatever reason then you've got some spare cash left over :smile:.

I think it is more likely to be too little than too much.
Original post by DiddyDec
I think it is more likely to be too little than too much.

Well I would agree, but if you're wise with your money you can make it stretch. Especially if you only have that money available, then you have to make it stretch, you have no other option. For freshers week, going out every night, joining societies, getting food with your new friends etc, I'd probably recommend something around £350, but that wasn't a realistic number to give the OP when they only have £100/£150 available to them. It won't be impossible to still enjoy the week.
Well I would agree, but if you're wise with your money you can make it stretch. Especially if you only have that money available, then you have to make it stretch, you have no other option. For freshers week, going out every night, joining societies, getting food with your new friends etc, I'd probably recommend something around £350, but that wasn't a realistic number to give the OP when they only have £100/£150 available to them. It won't be impossible to still enjoy the week.

I don't know about societies or anything, my uni didn't have them, but I never spent £350 on freshers week, and I went out every night that I wasn't too hungover from the last :P I think I spent about £200-250 and I drink quite expensive beers and wines.

Quick Reply

Latest