The Student Room Group

Access Course or A Level DILEMMA!!

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation here and was hoping someone could help.
I am faced with making a decision on whether I should do an Access to Medicine course at Lambeth college, which is not very well regarded - it's only accepted by a few universities at a push. I was also told by the tutor today that because I am 19, it is rare unis will consider my application as an Access student as I have been in education within the past 4 years, however I am unsure about the legitimacy of this claim.
For my A levels, I did Politics, Geography, Classics, General Studies and Biology to AS and I got AABBd.
My question is would it be more worth my while to do a fast track course in Chemistry instead as I know this will not be looked down upon by universities as it isn't resitting or anything.
My last question is about my Biology AS (embarrassing, I know!). Would it be worth it to retake that and perhaps take it to A2 as well? I understand unis WILL look down at that, but can someone please clear the air here?

Thanks in advance !
Reply 1
When did you decide that you wanted to do Medicine?

Truth be told, it seems quite a nasty situation to be in. The subjects you did, although respected, are far from suitable for Medicine -and this can be detrimental, as it's very competitive.

I suggest that you ask the admissions tutors of your preferred universities for their advice -they are the ones most likely to know what you should do!
Reply 2
Original post by *Stefan*
When did you decide that you wanted to do Medicine?

Truth be told, it seems quite a nasty situation to be in. The subjects you did, although respected, are far from suitable for Medicine -and this can be detrimental, as it's very competitive.

I suggest that you ask the admissions tutors of your preferred universities for their advice -they are the ones most likely to know what you should do!

I know, it is such a headache, it's killing me!

I decided when about this time last year, I had an offer to study at UCL with the thought that I could perhaps do post grad medicine. But then I realised it would be much better to just go for it, so I took a gap year and here I am again !

Tomorrow will be a busy day. I hope they can get back to me soonish.
Reply 3
Original post by Alimbo95
I know, it is such a headache, it's killing me!

I decided when about this time last year, I had an offer to study at UCL with the thought that I could perhaps do post grad medicine. But then I realised it would be much better to just go for it, so I took a gap year and here I am again !

Tomorrow will be a busy day. I hope they can get back to me soonish.

Big decision if you ask me. What course at UCL?

I hope for the best!

Admissions tutors are usually very informative when it comes to things like these, so you should expect a pretty nice explanation, be it positive of negative.
Reply 4
Original post by *Stefan*
Big decision if you ask me. What course at UCL?

I hope for the best!

Admissions tutors are usually very informative when it comes to things like these, so you should expect a pretty nice explanation, be it positive of negative.

I was going to do Philosophy, but I am glad that I know I want to do Medicine.

Cheers mate :smile:

Yeah they really are, we shall see if they live up to their expectations tomorrow!
Original post by Alimbo95
I was going to do Philosophy, but I am glad that I know I want to do Medicine.

Cheers mate :smile:

Yeah they really are, we shall see if they live up to their expectations tomorrow!

Unfortunately what they said about your age is true. I have never heard of anyone getting into medicine through an access course who is under 21. Access to medicine courses are designed for mature students, this is those over 21 (This is not the case for ALL degrees but is for medicine). Your best bet may be to do an undergraduate degree in a science subject such as biomedical science or a healthcare degree. Or to complete the necessary additional A-levels for either a standard 5 year program, or widening access 6 year program if you meet the criteria.

Sorry I know it isn't what you want to hear but I do know people your age who have completed Access to Medicine courses and none have got a place studying medicine because of their age. However that doesn't mean you won't get in via a levels
Reply 6
Original post by SarahGummer
Unfortunately what they said about your age is true. I have never heard of anyone getting into medicine through an access course who is under 21. Access to medicine courses are designed for mature students, this is those over 21 (This is not the case for ALL degrees but is for medicine). Your best bet may be to do an undergraduate degree in a science subject such as biomedical science or a healthcare degree. Or to complete the necessary additional A-levels for either a standard 5 year program, or widening access 6 year program if you meet the criteria.

Sorry I know it isn't what you want to hear but I do know people your age who have completed Access to Medicine courses and none have got a place studying medicine because of their age. However that doesn't mean you won't get in via a levels

It seems as though it has limited my options somewhat. I definitely would not advise an Access course for anyone my age with the intention of studying medicine.
Thankfully though, there are a few that said they will consider me so we'll just have to wait and see! Thanks for your advice people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending