The Student Room Group

No direction, feel hopeless..

I'm completely lost what career to pursue and I'm really struggling with depression :frown:. I'm 25 now, how r u supposed to find direction when there is no direction? :s-smilie:. Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm just reaching out to something, anything..

I work at a part time dead-end weekend job & I also volunteer at a health service. I hate my life so much & feel so alone in this world. Can any1 relate to this? :redface:..
"Volunteer at a health service"? You could become a counselor, you know how it feels
Original post by immy1989
I'm completely lost what career to pursue and I'm really struggling with depression :frown:. I'm 25 now, how r u supposed to find direction when there is no direction? :s-smilie:. Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm just reaching out to something, anything..

I work at a part time dead-end weekend job & I also volunteer at a health service. I hate my life so much & feel so alone in this world. Can any1 relate to this? :redface:..

Hi immy, really sorry to hear what you're going through :frown: Sadly I imagine a fair few of us can relate to some extent or another. It's tough now jobs are more just that and so few are really 'careers', and the ones that are are so hard to get. Doesn't exactly live up to self-fulfilling labour if you've got a weekend job you don't like. Is there anything in particular field wise that you'd like to do for a career? If not is there enough time in your week to do more voluntary work in a place that you would find fulfilling? I've worked in MH in the community as a student and it's pretty common to help people get voluntary work to help with depression and it does really seem to benefit some.

Also with your depression do you have anyone you can talk to about it or have you talked to your GP? It must be a really difficult combination to have that while also feeling isolated. If you feel it would help it may be worth seeing if there are any local charities or groups that can provide support. I know a couple here in Manchester which are sort of focused for people in similar situations so hopefully there's some in Bolton :smile:

All the best to you friend and apologies for all the questions :hugs:
Reply 3
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Hi immy, really sorry to hear what you're going through :frown: Sadly I imagine a fair few of us can relate to some extent or another. It's tough now jobs are more just that and so few are really 'careers', and the ones that are are so hard to get. Doesn't exactly live up to self-fulfilling labour if you've got a weekend job you don't like. Is there anything in particular field wise that you'd like to do for a career? If not is there enough time in your week to do more voluntary work in a place that you would find fulfilling? I've worked in MH in the community as a student and it's pretty common to help people get voluntary work to help with depression and it does really seem to benefit some.

Also with your depression do you have anyone you can talk to about it or have you talked to your GP? It must be a really difficult combination to have that while also feeling isolated. If you feel it would help it may be worth seeing if there are any local charities or groups that can provide support. I know a couple here in Manchester which are sort of focused for people in similar situations so hopefully there's some in Bolton :smile:

All the best to you friend and apologies for all the questions :hugs:

Thx :smile:, I just wish I had friends more thn anythin, I've only really had my mum really 'caus I struggle with social anxiety. I keep tellin myself if i can only find a career path thn everythin else will fall into place. I'm interested in psycholgy & writing 'caus I'm gd at literature. But then u look at course fees & its ridiculous. I don't wanna get in debt but it seems I've no other choice if I want to have a future. Oh & I take 20mg of Fluxotine which make me really drowsy :colondollar:.
(edited 9 years ago)
You said you're really interested in literature, ever thought about writing books or novels? It's a really lucrative industry.

Plus you don't need a degree or course for that :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I feel you ;_;. I feel like a little lost puppy. Sometimes I have no idea what to do anymore ><.

I guess you could turn what you enjoy into a career :smile:.

I, too, have social anxiety and it sucks balls XD.
Original post by Lt93
I feel you ;_;. I feel like a little lost puppy. Sometimes I have no idea what to do anymore ><.

I guess you could turn what you enjoy into a career :smile:.

I, too, have social anxiety and it sucks balls XD.

That totally sounds like something JD from Scrubs would say. On a more relevant note, I hope you find something that manages to satisfy you both emotionally and economically.
Original post by immy1989
Thx :smile:, I just wish I had friends more thn anythin, I've only really had my mum really 'caus I struggle with social anxiety. I keep tellin myself if i can only find a career path thn everythin else will fall into place. I'm interested in psycholgy & writing 'caus I'm gd at literature. But then u look at course fees & its ridiculous. I don't wanna get in debt but it seems I've no other choice if I want to have a future. Oh & I take 20mg of Fluxotine which make me really drowsy :colondollar:.

Fluxotine is a dickens like that, have you been taking it long? I hear some people find the side effects go away after about a month or so.

Yeah I can totally understand the friends thing, certainly it would be worth seeing if there's any local groups as that way you'll find people in a similar boat who'll be less judgemental about it.
Reply 8
What do u guys do exactly to u know 'find ur way'. When u've no mates or a gf to bounce off I think its much harder 'caus friends r a foundation. Not only do u have to deal with the stress of figurin out a career but u also have to deal with intense loneliness. I have 'acquaintances' but thats all they are. I've been on fluxotine for a few months, every AD mkes me drowsy tbh :boring:.

Quick Reply

Latest