The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices - Please Help

I am definitely taking A-Levels in Maths, Chemistry & Physics.

I am currently debating whether to take Further Maths or Biology as my fourth A-Level, or taking them both and doing 5 A-Levels.

In my GCSEs I got 8.5A*'s and 3A's. I got A*'s in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics & Statistics. I also achieved an A in FSMQ Additional Maths.

I do a lot of activities outside of school including many sports, so my worry is that taking 5 A-Levels will take up too much of my time, and I have also been lead to believe most universities don't look at additional A-Levels.

I have no clue which degree I want to take or which career path I want to pursue, however I find things related to Maths quite interesting and easy.

So, what should I take? Further Maths, Biology or Both?
Original post by Connorbwfc

I am currently debating whether to take Further Maths or Biology as my fourth A-Level, or taking them both and doing 5 A-Levels.

In my GCSEs I got 8.5A*'s and 3A's. I got A*'s in Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics & Statistics. I also achieved an A in FSMQ Additional Maths.

I do a lot of activities outside of school including many sports, so my worry is that taking 5 A-Levels will take up too much of my time, and I have also been lead to believe most universities don't look at additional A-Levels.

I have no clue which degree I want to take or which career path I want to pursue, however I find things related to Maths quite interesting and easy.

First of all let me say I'm a GCSE student as well so I may not be an expert at A levels, but I was in a similar position to you and spoke to a lot of people/did a lot of research.

I think you should really only take 5 A-levels if you're Absolutely committed and certain you can handle the workload. I know people with your results and even better who are struggling to achieve top grades in 4 let alone 5. Of course everybody is different but if you have any doubt you'll be able to cope with 5 then I think it's not really worth it (Having 5 won't really put you at an advantage anyway). Plus, as you say, doing that many A levels is going to cut into your social time.

As for your options, I think it depends on what you want to do. Further maths is only really required for heavily mathematical degrees like Maths, Physics and maybe a few others like Engineering depending on where you go. If you can exclude these degrees and know that you definitely don't want to do these, then doing further maths isn't really needed. However it may be a desired subject for other degrees so you may want to research that. You have 3 solid A levels there so I don't think the fourth will make a huge effect unless that subject is a requirement for a particular degree. e.g I'd choose biology if I were going into Medicine and Further maths for Physics. So it depends on what you want.

I was in a similar position to you, doing Maths, Physics and History. I didn't know which subject to choose for the fourth and after a bit of degree research I found that all of my preferred degrees were covered by my first 3 choices, so my 4th wouldn't really matter. So I just picked French as it's a subject I like.

Otherwise, if you can't make a decision based on your degree, just pick the subject you enjoy the most.

Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Frannoooooooo
First of all let me say I'm a GCSE student as well so I may not be an expert at A levels, but I was in a similar position to you and spoke to a lot of people/did a lot of research.

I think you should really only take 5 A-levels if you're Absolutely committed and certain you can handle the workload. I know people with your results and even better who are struggling to achieve top grades in 4 let alone 5. Of course everybody is different but if you have any doubt you'll be able to cope with 5 then I think it's not really worth it (Having 5 won't really put you at an advantage anyway). Plus, as you say, doing that many A levels is going to cut into your social time.

As for your options, I think it depends on what you want to do. Further maths is only really required for heavily mathematical degrees like Maths, Physics and maybe a few others like Engineering depending on where you go. If you can exclude these degrees and know that you definitely don't want to do these, then doing further maths isn't really needed. However it may be a desired subject for other degrees so you may want to research that. You have 3 solid A levels there so I don't think the fourth will make a huge effect unless that subject is a requirement for a particular degree. e.g I'd choose biology if I were going into Medicine and Further maths for Physics. So it depends on what you want.

I was in a similar position to you, doing Maths, Physics and History. I didn't know which subject to choose for the fourth and after a bit of degree research I found that all of my preferred degrees were covered by my first 3 choices, so my 4th wouldn't really matter. So I just picked French as it's a subject I like.

Otherwise, if you can't make a decision based on your degree, just pick the subject you enjoy the most.

Good luck:biggrin:

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated :biggrin:

Only do further maths is you want to take maths onto degree level, although it isn't essential. You can however choose it if you know you like/are successful at maths. IT IS DIFFICULT. Further maths is to really stretch the more brilliant maths students. A normal maths A-level is still just as respected though. I would suggest that is isn't the smartest of things to take all three sciences however as you will be swamped.
Reply 4
Is there no possibility of you taking Biology on time-table and Further Maths off timetable (or vice versa) and then seeing after a couple of weeks which one you'd rather do?

Im an A2 student doing FM chem nd history having already completed A-level maths. in my opinion if u enjoy maths take FM since u will find it enjoyable and not too difficult and as a good break from boring chem and physics. also if u do bio instead of FM there is a chance u will feel a bit over worked since ur doing 4 completly diffrent a-levels also bio is more work than it seems talking to my mates who do it. however be carful as someones alrady said FM is only useful for maths, science and economics so if these dont intrest u its best to avoid although saying that most uni only require 3 a-levels and if u like maths its a nice 4th

Quick Reply

Latest