The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Can I still do mech eng?

Greeting :smile:

I am going to begin my a levels in September and was wondering if I can still apply successfully to read mechanical engineering without having studied further maths at a level. Thus is due to the number if placed at my school as the course is really competitive. I concerned as to how important further maths is for this kind of subject and whether i will be unlikely yo recurve an offer.

Should I still apply for mech engineering?

Also, with "average" GCSE grades

Thanks in Advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry can't help, im in the same year as you...i plan on becoming a mech engineer or actuary, and i chose maths, physics, chem and french...so im in the same position as you
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by gavss

I am going to begin my a levels in September and was wondering if I can still apply successfully to read mechanical engineering without having studied further maths at a level. Thus is due to the number if placed at my school as the course is really competitive. I concerned as to how important further maths is for this kind of subject and whether i will be unlikely yo recurve an offer.

What's your AS ums?
Original post by gavss

I meant what Other Alevels are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by ASkyFullOfStars
What's your AS ums?

As stated in my post, I'm starting A levels.
Reply 5
I meant what Other Alevels are you doing?

Mathematics
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Electronics

Sorry, didn't see that post :smile:
Look at the entry requirements for the course on the univeristy website. It will tell you exactly what you need to have a chance of getting an offer.
Reply 7
Original post by jamez870
Look at the entry requirements for the course on the univeristy website. It will tell you exactly what you need to have a chance of getting an offer.

I did, it merely suggested the preferred a levels with all of my subjects were mentioned. But since there is a huge emphasis of mathematics in the course, what would my chances be as a successful applicant without further maths?

Thanks
Original post by gavss
I did, it merely suggested the preferred a levels with all of my subjects were mentioned. But since there is a huge emphasis of mathematics in the course, what would my chances be as a successful applicant without further maths?

Thanks

If you achieve A*A*A, then yes you're okay.

im doing engineering and I'm picking up AS further maths along with my A2.
Original post by gavss

I'm starting Mech Eng in October, and i don't think further maths is essential (although it would be beneficial for when you study there), and if you can't do it at your school then it will certainly not bring you down - just remember to tell them that you couldn't do it as there weren't enough places.

Make sure you get good AS mark and good A2 predicted grades, especially in maths and physics :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by stephenmoffat1
I'm starting Mech Eng in October, and i don't think further maths is essential (although it would be beneficial for when you study there), and if you can't do it at your school then it will certainly not bring you down - just remember to tell them that you couldn't do it as there weren't enough places.

Make sure you get good AS mark and good A2 predicted grades, especially in maths and physics :smile:

Okay, I'll make sure of that. I've studied a reasonable chunk of if during the summer. Thanks for you the response and good luck with the course :smile:
Original post by gavss
Okay, I'll make sure of that. I've studied a reasonable chunk of if during the summer. Thanks for you the response and good luck with the course :smile:

Have you learnt all of C1?
Reply 12
Have you learnt all of C1?

Yes and half of M1. I've made sure that I covered at least a half a unit ( except for electronics and economics)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
If you achieve A*A*A, then yes you're okay.

im doing engineering and I'm picking up AS further maths along with my A2.

Out of curiousity, would it be possible for me to just take the fp modules in one year?
Because I'm really into the maths so I plan to look into it aside from the subjects I'm currently concentrating on.
Original post by stephenmoffat1

Hey, Do you think I have good chances of getting an offer in mech eng at imperial? My M1 grade got remarked and went up to an A, also I'm retaking C3 to achieve an A* next year. Got predicted A*A*A, what are my odds of making it to the interview? retaking the physics coursework and econ wont appear cause I got a U. Dropping econ and doing whole Further Maths next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elias_123

Hey, Do you think I have good chances of getting an offer in mech eng at imperial? My M1 grade got remarked and went up to an A, also I'm retaking C3 to achieve an A* next year. Got predicted A*A*A, what are my odds of making it to the interview? retaking the physics coursework and econ wont appear cause I got a U.

Quite slim. Also not very good ums scores. 70/100 for S1?? U in economics and a C in physics??

Also I heard if you're retaking modules, they might increase your offer, so might be from A*A*A to A*A*A*
Quite slim. Also not very good ums scores. 70/100 for S1?? U in economics and a C in physics??

Also I heard if you're retaking modules, they might increase your offer, so might be from A*A*A to A*A*A*

Yeah but they don't see the UMS, only Cambridge does, Like I got U in econ it does not appear(thats what my director said), and also I got A in physics , its just the coursework which doesn't matter much and I'm retaking so it will appear as "pending". I'm also doing whole further maths next year and dropping econ.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah but they don't see the UMS, only Cambridge does, Like I got U in econ it does not appear(thats what my director said), and also I got A in physics , its just the coursework which doesn't matter much and I'm retaking so it will appear as "pending". I'm also doing whole further maths next year and dropping econ.

You got to consider that's it's imperial.

Candidates with 95%+ apply and they mention their ums marks.

are you doing further maths AS or ALevel?
You got to consider that's it's imperial.

Candidates with 95%+ apply and they mention their ums marks.

are you doing further maths AS or ALevel?
Oh, I see what you mean, never thought about that, I'm doing the whole A level Further maths.
Oh, I see what you mean, never thought about that, I'm doing the whole A level Further maths.

Could you just mention your AS grades overall.

and if you're doing a level fm, make sure your teacher predicts you a high grade.

Quick Reply

Latest