The Student Room Group

Hong Kong (Non-JUPAS) Applicants 2015

As the title states.

Hi! I was looking for a 2015 thread for Non-JUPAS applicants to any of the universities in Hong Kong, hoping that everyone can share their views and application status. I am currently doing A-Levels (just finished AS) in the UK and hoping to apply to two or more universities in Hong Kong.

Anyone? :smile:

Update:
HKU Non-JUPAS: Late application for certain programmes is open - please refer to website
CUHK Non-JUPAS: Late application for certain programmes is open- please refer to website
HKUST Non-JUPAS: open from 10 Sep to 31 Jan
PolyU Non-JUPAS for Local: 16 Dec to 5 Feb
PolyU International Students: 10 Oct to 16 Jan
HKBU: open from 3 Nov to 5 Jan
CityU: open from *3 Nov (most programmes) or 1 Dec (Liberal Arts Social Sciences and Biology/Chemistry) to 30 Jan (BBA and CompSci) or 28 Feb (other programmes)

*For CityU I could only find the dates for Non-JUPAS 'local' applicants. Please check the programme-specific dates http://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/direct/programmeList/

LATE APPLICATIONS FOR HKU AND CUHK ARE OPEN

Also, if anyone is curious about when offers usually arrive, here are some general guidelines for reference (credits to LeFeuilly). Please note that it is not guaranteed that universities make decisions by these dates.

HKU:
Fast Track - January 2015 onwards
Main Round: March 2015 onwards

CUHK:
Main round: February - August 2015. Advance offers should have already been posted on or before Dec 30 last year.

HKUST:
Main round: January 2015 onwards. Early rounds should have been posted by Dec 31 last year.

CITY U:
Admission offers: February - July 2015

POLY U:
N/A

BAPTIST U:
Admission offers: April - August 2015
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
...Is there no one applying to HKU CUHK HKUST PolyU ...etc?
I think this is a little early still.
Reply 3
Original post by clh_hilary
I think this is a little early still.

True tho. But fast track will soon start.
Original post by acireric
True tho. But fast track will soon start.

You do also need to recognise that people are likely to only really going on to TSR for comfort some time after they have submitted their application, or right before they do.
Reply 5
You do also need to recognise that people are likely to only really going on to TSR for comfort some time after they have submitted their application, or right before they do.

..........I'll wait then, don't want to sound silly and writing to myself in August.
..........I'll wait then, don't want to sound silly and writing to myself in August.

Well I'm keeping you company! Hello!
Reply 7
Well I'm keeping you company! Hello!

anyway thanks
Reply 8
Hello, I am Rahul from Bangladesh. I am keen to study Electrical Engineering at HKUST.
My results are:
IGCSE-6A*1A2B
A LEVEL-1A*3A
IELTS-7.5
I will be applying as an International student.
What are my chances of getting into HKUST?
Original post by Rahul40
Hello, I am Rahul from Bangladesh. I am keen to study Electrical Engineering at HKUST.
My results are:
IGCSE-6A*1A2B
A LEVEL-1A*3A
IELTS-7.5
I will be applying as an International student.
What are my chances of getting into HKUST?

I'm not an expert and I don't know anything about international admission into HKUST, but engineering (that includes HKUST's) is one of the disciplines with the lowest admission scores across Hong Kong, so I can't see why you won't get in with these excellent grades.
Oh yes the early admission....
Is anyone applying to hku/cuhk medicine? (*frantically trying to find medicine non-jupas thread*)
Original post by claratiara
Is anyone applying to hku/cuhk medicine? (*frantically trying to find medicine non-jupas thread*)

Thread not opened yet for this year.
Original post by claratiara

As a med student here I'd like you to think of fast track very carefully. If you do fast track and you get an offer, the offer will likely be very high. Very very high. If you wait for main round you might feel better. Or late round like me haha.
I'm planning to apply early to HKU, HKUST, and CU. Do you know if the early decision/fast track is binding (if you get accepted, you can't go to any other school) like the early decisions in America? (I'm from the U.S by the way and applying through non-JUPAS).
Reply 14
Original post by XxAngel_SChanxX
I'm planning to apply early to HKU, HKUST, and CU. Do you know if the early decision/fast track is binding (if you get accepted, you can't go to any other school) like the early decisions in America? (I'm from the U.S by the way and applying through non-JUPAS).

I don't think the offers are binding, as other universities do not know what's happening outside, meaning that CUHK would not know your application status from HKU. But I think one uni from the three mentioned (forgot which) does ask if you have any other offers.
I don't think the offers are binding, as other universities do not know what's happening outside, meaning that CUHK would not know your application status from HKU. But I think one uni from the three mentioned (forgot which) does ask if you have any other offers.

Also they have deadlines for deposit.
Reply 16
Hi there, I'm doing A-levels in the UK and was wondering what kind of grades would I need to potentially recieve an offer from either CUHK or HKU for Medicine. I'm doing Maths, Economics and Chemistry.
Original post by HKINUK
Hi there, I'm doing A-levels in the UK and was wondering what kind of grades would I need to potentially recieve an offer from either CUHK or HKU for Medicine. I'm doing Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

CUHK is a lot easier to get into than HKU.

I'm not entirely sure what the grades would be for GCE A-level, but I believe you will need to have at least straight-As, if not A*s.
Reply 18
CUHK is a lot easier to get into than HKU.

I'm not entirely sure what the grades would be for GCE A-level, but I believe you will need to have at least straight-As, if not A*s.

Hmm... My current predicted grades for maths, econ and Chen are A*AC respectively. Is it worth applying to CUHK?
Original post by HKINUK
Hmm... My current predicted grades for maths, econ and Chen are A*AC respectively. Is it worth applying to CUHK?

I really don't know. What harm would that do if you just apply to everywhere? Considering the fact that there will be interviews, I don't think your grades will be the be-all, end-all for admission.

There are no official figures on non-JUPAS discipline-specific admission scores, so any information you will hear will not be representative of it all, especially when you throw into all the uncertainties and variation year on year.

The only reference you can read would be the JUPAS scores with HKDSE, but there's no actual comparison. For HKU, MBBS took pupils with at least an averaged 5*-5** in the best 5 subjects. A 5* is an A* in GCE a-level, suggesting that the equivalent would theoretically be something better than 5 A*s (and that's the lowest score). For CUHK, the lower quartile is an averaged 5-5* (=A-A*). I cannot imagine them giving out A*A*A* as the condition however, so probably won't be as high as that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending