The Student Room Group

I don't know whether to choose Spanish or English Lit at A level!

So I got my GCSE results about a week ago, I was pretty pleased with them and I am able to go to my school's sixthform, which is great. But the problem is, that I originally chose Geogrpahy, Business Studies, Philosophy & Ethics, and English Lit. Now, having seen my grades I'm not so sure. For english lit I got a B, but for spanish I got an A (and only 1% off an A*). I think I now want to change from English lit to spanish, but I have a few questions:

Is english literature at A level, similar to GCSE?
How hard would you say english lit is?
And spanish? How difficult or easy do you find it?
If you do both spanish and english lit, which do you prefer and why?

I find that spanish comes quite naturally to me, I don't need to put a lot of effort in to do well (I know, at A level it will be a lot harder probably, so of course I would work harder!).

I am really not feeling confident about english lit at the moment, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :smile:

(P.S. I'm starting sixthform on wednesday, so I would like to be able to decide soon!)
Original post by jules98
So I got my GCSE results about a week ago, I was pretty pleased with them and I am able to go to my school's sixthform, which is great. But the problem is, that I originally chose Geogrpahy, Business Studies, Philosophy & Ethics, and English Lit. Now, having seen my grades I'm not so sure. For english lit I got a B, but for spanish I got an A (and only 1% off an A*). I think I now want to change from English lit to spanish, but I have a few questions:

Is english literature at A level, similar to GCSE?
How hard would you say english lit is?
And spanish? How difficult or easy do you find it?
If you do both spanish and english lit, which do you prefer and why?

I find that spanish comes quite naturally to me, I don't need to put a lot of effort in to do well (I know, at A level it will be a lot harder probably, so of course I would work harder!).

I am really not feeling confident about english lit at the moment, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :smile:

(P.S. I'm starting sixthform on wednesday, so I would like to be able to decide soon!)

I'm picking my A levels too, and am also wondering about Spanish. If it comes naturally to you, go for it, because not a lot of people have that talent. (I don't.😂) It really depends on two things though. Firstly, how much you enjoy it, want to learn a language and enthusiasm you have because that'll help motivate you. Also, what degree are you thinking of doing?
Reply 2
Original post by kiera28
I'm picking my A levels too, and am also wondering about Spanish. If it comes naturally to you, go for it, because not a lot of people have that talent. (I don't.������) It really depends on two things though. Firstly, how much you enjoy it, want to learn a language and enthusiasm you have because that'll help motivate you. Also, what degree are you thinking of doing?

I'm definitely leaning towards Spanish rather than English... Degree wise, I've mainly been looking at PR,Publishing or Marketing. :smile:
Original post by jules98
I'm definitely leaning towards Spanish rather than English... Degree wise, I've mainly been looking at PR,Publishing or Marketing. :smile:

Oh right cool. :smile: I think any MFL A level would be helpful when applying for a job in any field to be honest as it's such a good skill to have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest