The Student Room Group

Should I do AS level RS?

how hard is A level Rs?
Picking my A level options. For anyone who has done Religious Studies A level..How hard is it/ how big is the jump from gcse? How interesting are the modules? How difficult is it to get an A*? Do you enjoy it as a subject? Would it be stupid to do along side other essay-based subjects? (eg Spanish, English Lit, Art)Btw I want to do law at university.
Reply 1
Hey! I did AS RS instead of doing a GCSE in RS and tbh I really loved it! Maybe it was just me but I found the content really fascinating and it felt good to argue not only philosophers points of view but also incorporate your own point of view.

The content is somewhat heavy cos not only do you need understand and twist each concept/idea to suit essays as they're not always worded in a straight forward manner but you also need know advantages and disadvantages/ pros and cons, etc. The key thing along with being able to manipulate concepts (not too much as to lose the Main idea) but also use plenty of evidence and I found doing wider reading outside of lessons really helped me on this! Because not only did me good supportive points like examples and quotes but it has led me to discover and formulate smaller yet powerful arguments to strengthen my essay.

Hope that helps! Oh and I get an A in AS RS overall by doing it 2yrs early. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rmandala
Hey! I did AS RS instead of doing a GCSE in RS and tbh I really loved it! Maybe it was just me but I found the content really fascinating and it felt good to argue not only philosophers points of view but also incorporate your own point of view.

The content is somewhat heavy cos not only do you need understand and twist each concept/idea to suit essays as they're not always worded in a straight forward manner but you also need know advantages and disadvantages/ pros and cons, etc. The key thing along with being able to manipulate concepts (not too much as to lose the Main idea) but also use plenty of evidence and I found doing wider reading outside of lessons really helped me on this! Because not only did me good supportive points like examples and quotes but it has led me to discover and formulate smaller yet powerful arguments to strengthen my essay.

Hope that helps! Oh and I get an A in AS RS overall by doing it 2yrs early. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou! You said it's heavy..how much time do you think it'll take up out of school? I'm just a bit worried because I'm doing Art and English lit which are time consuming (aswell as two from RS, physics and Spanish).
Reply 3
Original post by kiera28
Thankyou! You said it's heavy..how much time do you think it'll take up out of school? I'm just a bit worried because I'm doing Art and English lit which are time consuming (aswell as two from RS, physics and Spanish).

Its heavy in the sense that a lot of expansion and picking apart is needed in order to show the examiner that you understand the point and the essay question. For me I spent a couple of goes a week with 2-2:30hrs just going through my notes from class and doing a bit of further research, just a bit of quick googling, and adding/clarifying notes. After that I would spend about 30mins just summarising what I found. It's best to do this on the day of a lesson so the lesson is still somewhat fresh in your mind so you can remember what the teacher and maybe a couple of other students said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its heavy in the sense that a lot of expansion and picking apart is needed in order to show the examiner that you understand the point and the essay question. For me I spent a couple of goes a week with 2-2:30hrs just going through my notes from class and doing a bit of further research, just a bit of quick googling, and adding/clarifying notes. After that I would spend about 30mins just summarising what I found. It's best to do this on the day of a lesson so the lesson is still somewhat fresh in your mind so you can remember what the teacher and maybe a couple of other students said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay. Thanks :smile: I'll do that then, I really appreciate your help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kiera28
Okay. Thanks :smile: I'll do that then, I really appreciate your help!

No worries :smile: don't be afraid to ask me about any of the content too cos some of it can leave you a bit frazzled due to the philosophers odd way of thinking Ahaha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries :smile: don't be afraid to ask me about any of the content too cos some of it can leave you a bit frazzled due to the philosophers odd way of thinking Ahaha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did AS RS this year and got an A.

Pros:
-The ethics section is really interesting, particularly applied ethics
-Unit 2, which will probably be medical ethics for you, is also very interesting
-The skills you learn, such as timed essays, independent research and making notes quickly, are very useful in other subjects
-Debating with the class is fun
-Going indepth with each topic is fun, way better than GCSE

Cons:
-Apart from the problem of evil, I found philosophy pretty boring, but that was because I had a bad teacher
-The Unit 1 exam ain't a bucket of rainbows, but if you have practice with it you'll be fine
Original post by paradoxicalme

Pros:
-Unit 2, which will probably be medical ethics for you, is also very interesting
-The skills you learn, such as timed essays, independent research and making notes quickly, are very useful in other subjects

Cons:
-Apart from the problem of evil, I found philosophy pretty boring, but that was because I had a bad teacher
-The Unit 1 exam ain't a bucket of rainbows, but if you have practice with it you'll be fine

Thanks! I'm leaning hugely towards RS now :smile: it sounds really interesting. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by paradoxicalme

Pros:

Cons:

Was it just me or was the philosophy a bit dreary and just seemed to take forever to complete?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think this would be really good for Law, I studied it along English lit&lang, Biology and Psychology in my first year (later dropped biology) and as long as you get on top of the work, yes it will seem a lot first of all but then once you learn the stuff you are good to go. I personally found a lot of the modules really interesting.

You can always drop it if it is not for you but if you were good at GCSE RS you should be able to transfer into A-level study without too much difficulty; it WILL be more work, but that is the same for all A-levels. :biggrin: Good luck
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
I think this would be really good for Law, I studied it along English lit&lang, Biology and Psychology in my first year (later dropped biology) and as long as you get on top of the work, yes it will seem a lot first of all but then once you learn the stuff you are good to go. I personally found a lot of the modules really interesting.

You can always drop it if it is not for you but if you were good at GCSE RS you should be able to transfer into A-level study without too much difficulty; it WILL be more work, but that is the same for all A-levels. :biggrin: Good luck

Okay thanks! Would RS, English Lit, Art and Spanish be good for law? Or maybe physics instead of Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiera28
Okay thanks! Would RS, English Lit, Art and Spanish be good for law? Or maybe physics instead of Spanish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Spanish sounds good! That is a good mix, how did you do at spanish for GCSE?
Original post by CuriousQuestioner
I think Spanish sounds good! That is a good mix, how did you do at spanish for GCSE?

I don't have results yet, but I'm predicted an A and got an A in my mock :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I would say yes, hell, I was gonna until I saw it only covers Islam. Something I think is too limited.
Original post by DebkoX
I would say yes, hell, I was gonna until I saw it only covers Islam. Something I think is too limited.

I think it's up to the particular college/ 6th form which religions it studies he modules on (well that's what it was of GCSE...we did Christianity and Buddhism) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by kiera28
I think it's up to the particular college/ 6th form which religions it studies he modules on (well that's what it was of GCSE...we did Christianity and Buddhism) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, and I am based in East London, so I guess that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest