The Student Room Group

Hardest AS Maths modules to get an A in?

C1
c2
s1
m1

??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably M5, as that is classed as an AS module in Edexcel A Level Maths.

Out of the ones you have listed, I would say M1.
Reply 2
If you wanted to, you could do C1, C2 and M5 and get an AS Level in Maths on Edexcel.
M1 out of the ones you have listed
I'd have to say C2 as it was the only maths module I didn't get an A in

Posted from TSR Mobile
you forgot d1, which I would say is the hardest because it is so easy to make an error on.
Reply 6
C2
C1 - if you don't get an A, you haven't been paying attention.
S1 - pretty easy to get an A in if you know all the formulae.
C2 - harder than C1 but doable. Bloody trig identities.
D1 - very easy to make mistakes. Everyone I know who's done this has either got a high A or an E.
M1 - tougher than S1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by paradoxicalme
C1

Lol
M1 all The way. I cant say for c1 because since I did an iGCSE in year 11 which made it so much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASkyFullOfStars
Lol

Haha, accidentally posted before I was done :biggrin:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Haha, accidentally posted before I was done :biggrin:

Would you recommend S1 or M1 for me?

I love algebra. I'm not doing Physics AS?
Reply 12
Original post by ASkyFullOfStars
Would you recommend S1 or M1 for me?

I love algebra. I'm not doing Physics AS?

Do S1.

M1 has more "algebra" but its a pain in the ass compared to S1. The only thing hard in S1 is the probability stuff.
M1. The paiiiiiin. Which is why I'm switching to S1 next year :tongue:
D1...the only maths module where I got below a B...I got a D
At one level these types of threads are kind of understandable. At another level though they have a very negative effect. As soon as you get an idea in your head that something is hard or "harder" you introduce a negative vibe. In some schools module choices are not completely open free for all anyway. So just treat it all as new, interesting and exciting and tackle it head on full of enthusiasm and determination with the aim of getting 100%. The only thing I agree on is that every poster always says the D modules really suck.
Reply 16
I found S1 and M1 to be sort of closely matched in terms of difficulty...but I found S1 to be a little bit harder, ever so slightly. Doing physics helps slightly with M1, and the concepts in S1 are a little tricky to get the hang of at first. I found S1 to be quite boring, it didn't really capture my interest, whereas I greatly enjoyed doing M1 and M2, my two favourite modules in the whole of A level maths.

I'd say D1 is the hardest module in A level maths, hands down (not counting further maths of course). It's completely different from all the rest. It's not impossibly difficult, but core maths (C1 to 4) is a joke compared to decision maths. I didn't like the style of the D1 paper.
(edited 9 years ago)
m1 is **** -> got 58 ums... C1,C2,S1,D1,FP1 i got As in (96,97,83,85,85 UMS respectively) by comparison

m1 is sooooooooo hard; espicially if you dont understand it
D1. hardest because its the most annoying-est. Even if you know how to answer the question and know the method by heart, its impossible.

Sometimes I question is it even maths?

(but BAM June 2014 paper had maths in it):angry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by godd
Do S1.

M1 has more "algebra" but its a pain in the ass compared to S1. The only thing hard in S1 is the probability stuff.

Original post by iceangel8
M1. The paiiiiiin. Which is why I'm switching to S1 next year :tongue:

S1 is the most tedious thing you will ever experience...

Quick Reply

Latest