The Student Room Group

Failed my first year of college (EEU), ended up with ABB after a total redo. AMA

In my first year of As levels I got EEU, after committing more I resat the whole year again. Second time I got AAC. I've finished college, now waiting for uni with ABB. Fire away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did you do when you mean commited? I have DDU in maths,chem,biology full a-level so thinking of taking the year out and revising from home but how shall I get end result like yours??
Original post by muzza12
What did you do when you mean commited? I have DDU in maths,chem,biology full a-level so thinking of taking the year out and revising from home but how shall I get end result like yours??

In my first year (and anytime before that) I was unaware I needed blue tinted glasses to read and revise, this helped greatly it turned my struggled 20 minute revision sessions into 6 hour revision sessions. Although I think this had a major impact, I would say my revising had the most.

I used to take the notes, write them out, highlight the titles and sub titles. Put them in a poly pocket, put that in a lever arch file and then organised the lever arch file into sections using plastic dividers.

When I got home from college I would take the notes from that day and re write them into a small notebook, neater with better clear diagrams.

About 2 months away from the exams I took all of my content out of those revision books I'd make and converted them into giant wall posters written in bright colours which covered most of my room, this ensured I'd have to see the content everyday.

About a month away from the exams I started to really hammer at the past papers (I'd already been doing a few questions here and there) but I'd sit and do the paper with the mark scheme, then without. I made it so I did every past paper for all three of my subjects.These papers were all organised in a lever arch file

On each of the evenings and mornings before the exams, I sat and read my revision books and looked at mark schemes for essay questions I could potentially face.

My whole life was dedicated to these A levels, I basically had no friends, just a supporting boyfriend and family.

Secretly I'm a little gutted with myself, I was overall only 3 UMS marks away from AAA :P
So how many exams did you end up resitting? and how did it affect uni?
Original post by shabanadahi
So how many exams did you end up resitting? and how did it affect uni?

Well I didnt technically resit I did a redo so I was not juggling As and A2 Exams. So basically I had another shot at all 6 of my exams. For me it had no negative affects only positives. Id always wanted to do the exact course I got the grades for and I got a conditional the unconditional with no problems. :smile:
Do you mind saying why you have to wear those glasses?
Original post by ArcticSlayer
Do you mind saying why you have to wear those glasses?

Mearse irlens syndrome (servere) and borderline dyslexcia. They stop my head aches and auras/ pulsating on the page :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by behindblueglass
Mearse irlens syndrome (servere) and borderline dyslexcia. They stop my head aches and auras/ pulsating on the page :smile:

Ahhhh yeah. That sucks, but I have dyspraxia so I'm forever walking into stuff:facepalm:

What sort of career do you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Ahhhh yeah. That sucks, but I have dyspraxia so I'm forever walking into stuff:facepalm:

What sort of career do you want?

[URL=http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
app]Posted from TSR Mobile
[/
SIZE]

I feel the pain, my depth perception is awful. I alwayw clip door frames as I walk through and knock glasses over.

I'd like to be a hydrologist/hydrogeologist or something in renewable energy :smile:

You? :biggrin:
Reply 9
I feel the pain, my depth perception is awful. I alwayw clip door frames as I walk through and knock glasses over.

I'd like to be a hydrologist/hydrogeologist or something in renewable energy :smile:

You? :biggrin:

Oohh that's snazzy.
I was originally gonna join the RAF, but I enquired and due to the dyspraxia I wouldn't be considered. So now I'm going to do something in the maths/science areas... I've also been writing a few raps so I might end up doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Oohh that's snazzy.
I was originally gonna join the RAF, but I enquired and due to the dyspraxia I wouldn't be considered. So now I'm going to do something in the maths/science areas... I've also been writing a few raps so I might end up doing that

[URL=http://
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
app]Posted from TSR Mobile
[/
SIZE]

Haha thanks
Aw that sucks :/
Go for maths and science :tongue:
what a level subjects did you pick and what grades did you get?

how many hours a day do you recommend an AS student to revise?
Reply 12
Haha thanks
Aw that sucks :/
Go for maths and science :tongue:

I'm just going to wing it and see what happens. I've already got what I want in life. As long as I keep that I'm happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I'm just going to wing it and see what happens. I've already got what I want in life. As long as I keep that I'm happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!
I assume what you already have is a girlfriend ..or a dog? :P
Original post by FaiIytail
what a level subjects did you pick and what grades did you get?

how many hours a day do you recommend an AS student to revise?

Geology= E first time As
A second time As
A for A2

Environmental studies= E first time As
A second time As
B for A2

Geography= U first time As
C second time As
B for A2
I revised including free blocks in college about 6 hours a day even when just starting the year in September. But I have to work stupidly hard to even scrape through :smile:
Reply 15
Good luck!
I assume what you already have is a girlfriend ..or a dog? :P

Both:biggrin:

And both are the best ones in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Both:biggrin:

And both are the best ones in the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno my dog is pretty freakibg awesome...and my boyfriend thinks im pretty good :tongue:
Reply 17
I dunno my dog is pretty freakibg awesome...and my boyfriend thinks im pretty good :tongue:

Does your dog jump on you for cuddles whenever he sees you?

Not denying it - just saying I got the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Does your dog jump on you for cuddles whenever he sees you?

Not denying it - just saying I got the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup and she jumps for treats :P

Okay, your argument was fair. But I can do a handstand ..soo yeah.
Reply 19
Yup and she jumps for treats :P

Okay, your argument was fair. But I can do a handstand ..soo yeah.

My dog plays football:cool:

She plays handball professionally:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest