The Student Room Group

A-level English literature

I was considering taking a level english literature..

At gcse once I has passed my English language I wasn't too bothered about lit so I blagged it really, but while I was doing it I actually quite enjoyed it! In the end I got a B and literally all I did was remember some quotes (I know most of you are straight A students but I was happy with that!). I guess my question is would it be hard to replicate that at a level? I am really prepared to put the effort in. I would need at least a B overall, has anyone had any past experience or know what it's like as an a A-level. Another thing is does it require any reading in your own time as I'm not the biggest fan of reading (I know that contradicts everything I've said but I'm just not a fan, does the teacher read in class?).

Cheers,
Ollie
I can only speak for Literater at AS Level. I love the subject, got a B at GCSE.
However. I really cocked it up the first time I did AS and got a D, which was then remarked and went up to a C overall. Retook the year (I'm having to do a third year because I need A's for my top choice uni), worked really hard and got a B.

Your teacher will encourage you to do wider reading out of class, but if you don't like reading then just stick to the set texts and you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trackstar

At gcse once I has passed my English language I wasn't too bothered about lit so I blagged it really, but while I was doing it I actually quite enjoyed it! In the end I got a B and literally all I did was remember some quotes (I know most of you are straight A students but I was happy with that!). I guess my question is would it be hard to replicate that at a level? I am really prepared to put the effort in. I would need at least a B overall, has anyone had any past experience or know what it's like as an a A-level. Another thing is does it require any reading in your own time as I'm not the biggest fan of reading (I know that contradicts everything I've said but I'm just not a fan, does the teacher read in class?).

Cheers,
Ollie

English Literature does require A LOT of reading - even more if you want anything about an A. I came in to my first few lessons thinking it would be a breeze, but when I got back my first few essays I realised that it requires a whole new depth of skills and natural talent.
Reply 3
Original post by fire.of.my.loins
English Literature does require A LOT of reading - even more if you want anything about an A. I came in to my first few lessons thinking it would be a breeze, but when I got back my first few essays I realised that it requires a whole new depth of skills and natural talent.

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.
I'm restating a year too but this is the first time I'm taking the subject:smile:
Reply 4
I'm restating a year too but this is the first time I'm taking the subject:smile:

Retaking*
Reply 5

Cheers,
Ollie

I achieved a B in GCSE English Literature as well, and like you I wasn't really interested in it and I didn't even finish half the exam paper!

English Literature is a very hard subject. I took it as an A level and ended up with a B overall- I was still surprised how I managed to achieve that! GCSE English Lit is nothing compared to A level, and in A2 it gets harder. To be honest I didn't like reading either, but the teacher gave us a list of 50+ poems, drama, and novels to read for wider reading, so we had no choice. The main texts we were studying were sometimes read out by the teacher in class, like the short plays. If you are planning to do English Lit, you have to be on top of your work. You can't give in an essay late, otherwise they'll start to pile up. For independent study it would be good going to the theater, watching plays etc. You have to write many essays in a limited amount of time, and keep redoing them until you achieve a good grade.

However, despite it being quite hard, I found it a really interesting subject and at times it was actually fun. I just wish I had a better teacher to teach me A2!

If you have any other questions, let me know :smile:

Ah I see! What subjects did you do and what will you be doing? I did chem, maths, english lang & lit and law. Got two A's (for the last two) and two U's. So I'd like a fresh start - and clearly the science route isn't my cup of tea. This year I'll be doing Eng Lit, Art, Philosophy and giving maths another go. Fingers crossed i make it to a Russell group uni!!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by fire.of.my.loins
Ah I see! What subjects did you do and what will you be doing? I did chem, maths, english lang & lit and law. Got two A's (for the last two) and two U's. So I'd like a fresh start - and clearly the science route isn't my cup of tea. This year I'll be doing Eng Lit, Art, Philosophy and giving maths another go. Fingers crossed i make it to a Russell group uni!!!!!

Ahh I see good luck with that!

Last year I took chem, bio, psychology and business. I got and A in business and B in biology, the other two were E's though:/ I decided to carry on with bio and start English lit and sociology at AS. I want to study physiotherapy at uni and didn't see what relevance business had to it so decided to drop it. Hoping to get into Cardiff or Brunel!!:smile:
Reply 8
I really want to study something English related as I love the subject and I really do enjoy creative writing. The thing is I didn't get the chance to do English lit and the requires to A level is a B so I don't know what to do?? Could I possibly do English Lang I got a C in that subject.
Reply 9
Original post by Lola96
I really want to study something English related as I love the subject and I really do enjoy creative writing. The thing is I didn't get the chance to do English lit and the requires to A level is a B so I don't know what to do?? Could I possibly do English Lang I got a C in that subject.

If your into creative writing English language would be the better option. English literature is mostly based and analysing texts whereas in language you can create your own texts (this is from gcse experience not sure what it's like at a level but assume it's pretty similar).

Cheers,
Ollie

A-level English Lit is more about just remembering quotes. You could get away with writing about chapters to the cow comes home in a GCSE Lit paper. But that will get you a U/E at AS level. You need to be self-assured and confident you can handle the step up. Your analytical skills will not be great at first, but it will improve as long as your practice. You need to enjoy English as a subject and hobby if you want to keep on top of it. From the sounds of it, it sounds as if you didn't really care about the subject as a whole. If you don't I wouldn't recommend you take it. However, if you actually enjoyed writing about your text in the exam, you could thoroughly enjoy A-level.

When you write about a text in A-level you write about character development, plot, language form and structure and how all these stuff comes together. It may sound simple but it's very complicated. You will also be introduced to literary theories and criticisms (the latter most likely in your second year). The terminology and theories will be detrimental if you do not get right and you don't use them correctly. From all the literary devices I mentioned before, have to be linked in and out throughout your whole essay/exam answer. You can get an A* at gcse by exploring just plot or characters alone. But you won't get anywhere at A-level. Also, you will have to embed quotes left right and centre when it comes to A-level. Not a matter of about 5-10 quotes per text. More like 30 quotes per text. Bearing in mind you are required to study 6 texts per year. Usually 3 for exam and 3 for coursework. So it is a lot of memorising (which is what A-level is all about).

Like the exam board AQA (A) you have to read A LOT - it's called "wider reading" for your exam in order to answer the exam question. Others will have set texts like AQA B or WJEC for example.

My teachers at AS read pretty much for the first month or so to "ease" us into studying AS-level. After that, they expected us to read chapters and stuff in our own time, then come into class and discuss what we read. This was for coursework though. For exam, we read the texts pretty much in class and discussed it also. At A-level, you basically have to read the texts by yourself and rip the texts in pieces when you get into the classroom!

Hope this helps (if you haven't already made your decision. If you have, then take on board my comments (as it is later, not saying to disregard everyone elses).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending