The Student Room Group

How much does an average student spend in their first year at uni?

I was wondering about how much I would expect to spend in my first year as a student if I lived like the average 1st year.

I would be buying food and stuff but I won't be paying and rent or the sort as I've already got accommodation sorted.

So any estimations? :smile:
depends how much you go out, the regular is £30 a week, if you go out a lot may be £50 but that's stretching it. blow that up by 52, then add about £300 cushion for things like travelling and other expenses that may occur, it'll be around the 2k mark for the whole year as a guess.
Original post by tearteto
depends how much you go out, the regular is £30 a week, if you go out a lot may be £50 but that's stretching it. blow that up by 52, then add about £300 cushion for things like travelling and other expenses that may occur, it'll be around the 2k mark for the whole year as a guess.

Also depends on how frugal you are and your lifestyle too. I'd say double that... so £4k for the year minimum or £95/week... easily achievable with a part-time/weekend job!
I spent roughly £22,000.

But yes, does depend on a lot of factors - lifestyle, location, what you're expecting to spend on, what's already paid for you etc..
Reply 4
Original post by XMaramena
I spent roughly £22,000.

But yes, does depend on a lot of factors - lifestyle, location, what you're expecting to spend on, what's already paid for you etc..

How did you spend that much?
Original post by OliverG
How did you spend that much?

Well fees were £11,000, I came back home once in the middle of the year so there were 2 return flights to pay for - they cost about £700 each, then there was rent for the apartment - by that time I'm up to about £17,000 and the rest was on food, utilities, going out etc.

(Bear in mind I did my first year abroad, my uni didn't have halls and I never took out a student loan)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I spent roughly £22,000.

Including tuition and accommodation fees?
Original post by johnny2face2
Including tuition and accommodation fees?

Yes of course - uni fees, rent, flights.... ... ...
Reply 8
Well fees were £11,000, I came back home once in the middle of the year so there were 2 return flights to pay for - they cost about £700 each, then there was rent for the apartment - by that time I'm up to about £17,000 and the rest was on food, utilities, going out etc.

(Bear in mind I did my first year abroad, my uni didn't have halls and I never took out a student loan)

Aah, ok. I thought you didn't include tuition fees hence my surprise. I thought i'd be having to ask my parents to help me out even further! I mean, as it stands I will only get the minimum in student finance, and the cheapest accomodation without sharing a bedroom or a bathroom with like 10 people was £110. So before I do anything, i'm down £30 a week!
Original post by OliverG
Aah, ok. I thought you didn't include tuition fees hence my surprise. I thought i'd be having to ask my parents to help me out even further! I mean, as it stands I will only get the minimum in student finance, and the cheapest accomodation without sharing a bedroom or a bathroom with like 10 people was £110. So before I do anything, i'm down £30 a week!

You'll need £50-80 a week. Don't forget to factor in things like fares and any recurring payments you have going like Xbox live, Netflix, your phone contract etc
Reply 10
I spent about £55 a week last year on food, laundry & going out. I was quite bad in the fact that I hardly ever made a packed lunch so I regularly ate out. I don't drink which saved me a bit. There were no markets or an Aldi/Lidl near me so my only choice was Tesco.

So £55 x 33 weeks = £1815.

I went home about twice per term which is about £30 for a return trip.
6 x £30 = £180

My phone contract is £19/month.
£19/month x 12 months = £228
I had some months when I went over my allowances though so I'm gonna estimate £260.

Netflix was £6/month which is £72 for the year.

So about £2300 in total. I haven't included stuff like clothes but I'll take a wild guess of about £300.

Grand total = £2600
I lived in London, catered accommodation but still spent just under about £100 a week. Accommodation was £6.5k for 38 weeks (so £175 a week). Think I worked out that I spent something in the region of £11-12k for the whole year, including accommodation, lunches, extras, drinks, nights out etc. Had to work a fair bit to make up for the difference.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending