The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Biomedical science with a preliminary year 2014

Anyone??
Reply 1
I'm doing zoology with a preliminary year so we may share some modules, as I have a feeling they're the same for biomedical and biological sciences. Not 100% sure though. :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by wrenny
I'm doing zoology with a preliminary year so we may share some modules, as I have a feeling they're the same for biomedical and biological sciences. Not 100% sure though. :smile:

All " with prelimnary years" are together on the same course, dependning on your degree though you will have different compulsory modules but the compulsory modules only account for around 45-50% of your total modules so you will more than likely share modules as there is not a lot of other optional ones to choose from.

I just finished the Preliminary year this year, my degree was "Physics with Prelim" and I had many classes with all sorts of students, people going onto Medicine, Biology and others like Biomed, Dentistry, Chemistry etc.
Reply 3
Original post by FaraDai
All " with prelimnary years" are together on the same course, dependning on your degree though you will have different compulsory modules but the compulsory modules only account for around 45-50% of your total modules so you will more than likely share modules as there is not a lot of other optional ones to choose from.

I just finished the Preliminary year this year, my degree was "Physics with Prelim" and I had many classes with all sorts of students, people going onto Medicine, Biology and others like Biomed, Dentistry, Chemistry etc.

Ooh - can I ask, what are the module options/content like? I don't really know what to expect at all :P
Reply 4
Original post by wrenny
Ooh - can I ask, what are the module options/content like? I don't really know what to expect at all :P

All I can remember are the ones I did sorry as we had to choose aaages ago. You need a total of 12 modules, 6 each semester.

The ones i did were

Physics:
Structure and Properties of Matter
Motion and Energy - This Includes a weekly lab component (semester 1)
Foundations of Modern Physics
Electricity Magnetism and Light - This Includes a weekly lab component (semester 2)
Elementary Mathematical Methods

Maths:
Prelim Maths I
Prelim Maths II

Chemistry:
Fundamental Aspects of Chemistry
Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Equilibria
Inorganic and Redox Chemistry

All of the Chemistry ones i did had labs, but they were not weekly and not often.

Misc:
Medical Imaging and The Human Body
Conservation Management

There were at least 5 Biology ones too. Those and the ones above are the ones all run by the Preliminary Year organisers, but I am pretty sure you can pick a couple Free Standing Modules which include things like languages i.e. Spanish. Oh and there was at least one maybe more modules only for people doing Medicine, If i remember correctly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by FaraDai
All I cin n remember are the did sorry as we had to choose aaages ago. You need a total of 12 modules, 6 each semester.

The ones i did were

Physics:
Structure and Properties of Matter
Motion and Energy - This Includes a weekly lab component (semester 1)
Foundations of Modern Physics
Electricity Magnetism and Light - This Includes a weekly lab component (semester 2)
Elementary Mathematical Methods

Maths:
Prelim Maths I
Prelim Maths II

Chemistry:
Fundamental Aspects of Chemistry
Thermodynamics, Kinetics and Equilibria
Inorganic and Redox Chemistry

All of the Chemistry ones i did had labs, but they were not weekly and not often.

Misc:
Medical Imaging and The Human Body
Conservation Management

There were at least 5 Biology ones too. Those and the ones above are the ones all run by the Preliminary Year organisers, but I am pretty sure you can pick a couple Free Standing Modules which include things like languages i.e. Spanish. Oh and there was at least one maybe more modules only for people doing Medicine, If i remember correctly.

Hi, thanks for sharing this.:smile:

How many hours a week were you In lectures/ labs for, approximately?
Reply 6
Original post by tore8
Hi, thanks for sharing this.:smile:

How many hours a week were you In lectures/ labs for, approximately?

Um for me it was about 22 hours with lectures and labs, something like that I think. But it all depends what modules you choose.
Reply 7
Thanks
Reply 8
Sounds exciting!
Biology with Preliminary year :smile:

Quick Reply