The Student Room Group

AS physics without maths mechanics?

I am taking physics math biology and chemistry for my AS levels. however for maths i want to take statistics rather than mechanics. is physics going to be hard if i do not take mechanics?
I think it depends on the class. If a lot of the students are studying mechanics, then I think (in my experience) the teacher can tend to assume that you're all comfortable with mechanics and so can fast forward through it. At AS about 70% of our class were studying mechanics and you could definitely see the difference as we had had a lot more practice at e.g. resolving vectors and using equations of motion etc.

If you think you could still do well in maths with taking the mechanics module then I'd recommend that :smile: If you do choose to take stats just be aware that if a lot of your physics class are studying mechanics you may have to put in some more hours outside of the class (perhaps see if you could borrow a mechanics text book for some harder questions)

Good luck with your AS levels
Reply 2
Thank you so much!
Reply 3
Quite a fair amount of people take physics without even taking maths. And likewise many people take mechanics and botch up on physics.

You'll be fine if you put the effort and work in :wink: (I found stats much easier than mechanics either ways!)

Quick Reply

Latest